Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damion1day

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
[doublepost=1528746124][/doublepost]

Any Update on legal option? have a friend going thru the same here in CA. She wanted to try to lemon her 2018 Q3 but Audi service techs report they can pair up so she should be able to. She keeps getting disconnected. has had the car in the shop 4 times now and they will keep it for days.

Following, I have a 2013 A4 and I am having similar issues with my iPhone 8+. I can play my iTunes music, but it always plays the same song as soon as I plug it in, and I cannot control Apple Music.

CBR2523

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2018
No issues here with iPhone X and Audi A4 (2016) be it CarPlay or Bluetooth.
Are you using the original Apple USB cable or an aftermarket?

I have a 2016 A4 and my iphoneX will not come up as a media device on my MMI. I’m using the $80 lightening adapter cord I bought from Audi dealer. I went to the dealer they claim that my device is not compatible and Audi has not come up with an update to resolve the problem. Since I don’t have CarPlay I’m screwed super pissed that my two year old car doesn’t work with my new phone. Now I can’t listen to my music. I think the whole issue is ridiculous

martl20

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Same horrible problem here: brand new A1 with MMI 3G+. Iphone 7 iOS 11.1.2 keeps disconnecting and connecting from MMI. Checked with green and yellow cables, green (older) is much better but don’t display album art. Yellow displays album art but it’s a mess disconnecting every 10 or 20 seconds!!!

Anyone found a solution???? I think Audi should not sale cars with infotainmet that don’t work with the current technologies!

If you are still looking for the cause, there is not really a good solution but there is an explanation from audi which may help. It's written over here: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=189715

• Technical Background

The Audi MMI system is designed to only play music that is stored locally on a connected device. Apple iOS devices have a known software issue that causes a conflict with the MMI system if the device is set to play music that is not stored locally (such as music stored in the cloud or offline on a remote server). When music is not stored locally on the device, the iOS software sends incorrect data to the MMI and it causes the AMI system to reset.

Additionally, the iTunes Radio feature can potentially cause this condition because the iTunes Radio music is streamed to the device. The MMI system attempts to play the first music playlist stored in the device, so if the iTunes Radio feature has been activated when the device is plugged in, and the native music app is not open, the MMI will attempt to play the iTunes Radio playlist (or station). Because the music from the iTunes Radio is not stored on the device, the iOS software sends incorrect data to the MMI and it causes the AMI system to reset.

Production Solution

Not applicable. This condition is due to Apple’s iOS software.

But there is a kind of solution written in this Technical Service Bulletin that can improve these annoying disconnects by disabling the iTunes option " show all music" and create an album with a name so it will be the first album to be found. like 00_myfirstalbum and put one song in it which is available on the local storage.

Hope this may help you!

Reactions: HDFan

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I know its OT but this is the reason why I love carplay. We no longer have to rely on the lazy ass car manufacturer to update their crappy closed systems.
If you think this is bad, just imagine how bad they probably are at patching severe security issues.

That Audi is ignoring this and don't work with Apple just sends one message "Hey, we only care about selling the car to you, after that you are on your own".

Rochollt

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
I have the same issue with my A4 2010 since the update to OS11 I can not connect to either my IPad or IPod via the cable. This is my biggest pet peeve with Apple, every so often they come out with a new software or hardware version that does not function with older electronics and their answer is, for all of us buy new gear.
So now the solution to fixing the connectivity issue with Audi's MMI system is for everyone to buy something else.
Wow! What makes me laugh, is the fact that people put more importance in a $800 phone than their $60,000.+ cars.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Unfortunately not...I reported it in the feedback app but I doubt enough people did the same to make them look into it.

the iOS software sends incorrect data

I've had very good results with feedback. But it is irrelevant at this point with martl20s comment. Audi isn't going to work with Apple to fix the problem. They force you to buy a new car to get updated electronics/software.

Now I have to take my time off from work to take it to a dealership and pay for a car rental because in my experience of owning Audi for more than 11 years, a dealership has never offered me a loaner car,

I used feedback to complain when I was no longer offered a loaner when my car fell out of the standard warranty but was still covered under an extended warranty. They got back to me and it turns out that the loaner policy is dealer specific. If your dealer doesn't offer loaners then try another dealer if you can.

markulm

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
Hello all, I have a 2013 TTS roadster with MMI. Just bought it recently so not first owner. I can connect my iPhone via bluetooth for phone functions but absolutely cannot find anyway to stream audio via bluetooth. Does it have the capability? Do I need an update? HELP!!! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.