Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elitypes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hi all,

I tried searching this topic in the forums but had no luck. My question is if there is a way to only receive mail notifications for certain mailboxes, more specifically just my inbox. With the new iOS I receive notifications on my lock screen and in the notification for all my emails including SPAM. This is a huge pain and quite frankly it can be annoying/embarassing. I will check my phone and see notifications on the lock screen for all the SPAM I have received, emails from bogus websites, for bogus offers etc.

After checking online and exploring all the settings I can't seem to figure out if this is possible. I'd rather see notifications for actual emails from friends, work etc. without seeing all these SPAM mail notifications.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Exceptional, if sometimes too strong, spam filtering.

Plus, any filter you setup to label/categorize email and tell it to skip the inbox, then you don't get pushes for those either.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Setting up gmail as a Microsoft exchange account will let you select exactly what folder you want to sync to your phone. This is not possible if you used the default gmail settings. Added benefit: your mail gets pushed to your phone

elitypes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Thanks guys. I actually already had my gmail set up as an exchange server to allow for true push email. That wasn't the issue. After checking through the settings I think my issue was that I had the exchange server set to push both my inbox and my spam. Not sure how that happened but I set it only to sync my inbox. I am hoping that solves the issue.

Thanks again!

shanahan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Spam filter on Yahoo Mail also solves this problem.
[doublepost=1462469205][/doublepost]I have spam filter on my Yahoo, but my iphone keeps pushing spam notifications. It started about a month ago and I couldn't find anything in Settings to stop it. I only want notifications for my Inbox.

Any ideas?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1462469205][/doublepost]I have spam filter on my Yahoo, but my iphone keeps pushing spam notifications. It started about a month ago and I couldn't find anything in Settings to stop it. I only want notifications for my Inbox.

Any ideas?
What iOS version is this on? Using Apple's Mail app on the iPhone/iPad?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not using Apple's mail app.
It sounds like this thread is more about Apple's Mail app on iOS 5 (or earlier), so it's hard to say how much would really apply to something outside of that. So what app are we talking about?

shanahan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
I use Yahoo for email. Until recently, spam emails went straight to my spam folder without notification. Now, I am getting notifications pushed of every spam mail that comes in. I don't want that and don't know how to stop it, as I still want regular email notifications to push.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use Yahoo for email. Until recently, spam emails went straight to my spam folder without notification. Now, I am getting notifications pushed of every spam mail that comes in. I don't want that and don't know how to stop it, as I still want regular email notifications to push.
I understand that Yahoo! is the email service provider, so are we talking about the Yahoo! Mail app that is being used and sending these notifications?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My bad. I am using Apple's mail app. Sorry for the confusion...
It's strange that it would notify you of anything other than Inbox as that app isn't really set to notify of anything outside of what comes into the Inbox. Does this happen for all Spam emails? And you are certain they are in the Spam folder?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yes, absolutely certain
and it is strange as it started maybe a month ago
Odd. Perhaps it might be worth a try deleting the email account on the phone and setting it up again to see if reconnecting it all might resolve it? Also might be worth trying to get into Yahoo! Mail using a web browser on a computer and checking settings there, especially related to Spam, in case something might have changed for some reason or anything like that.

shanahan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Checked settings via my computer, but there was nothing related to stopping spam notifications.

i thought about deleting account and re-adding. I am always afraid I will lose my emails, contacts, etc. Maybe I will give it a shot.

Thank you for your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.