Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I somehow got on a spam list for an "online pharmacy" that called twice a week for months. They used country code +7 for all their calls. AT&T told me there was nothing they could do.

I created a spam contact and under phone number put "+7" and nothing else. That was almost 4 weeks ago, not a single call since. Heres to hoping it continues to work with just a country code and no number after it:)

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Its to bad apple didnt add the option to block unkown / blocked numbers :/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So does that actually work, or is it perhaps a coincidence of some sort?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
So does that actually work, or is it perhaps a coincidence of some sort?

It appears to be working, unless they coincidentally stopped calling me the same day I tried it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to have someone from a blocked country code that you know call you. I don't know anyone to try that with though.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It appears to be working, unless they coincidentally stopped calling me the same day I tried it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to have someone from a blocked country code that you know call you. I don't know anyone to try that with though.

Or remove it from your block list and see if the calls return.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or I guess block calls from your country (like +1 for US typically) and see if that pretty much blocks all usual calls.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Its to bad apple didnt add the option to block unkown / blocked numbers :/

Is it not possible to create a contact as blocked/unknown or does a number have to be associated with the name.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but i'm on IOS6 so have no idea how it works.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
yea its strange, like why would u even block people you know. seems rude ^^

makes more sense to block unknown numbers

Think you misunderstand. You can block numbers that you don't have in your contacts list, i.e. the person is unknown, but the number is known. But you can't block numbers that come up as 'Unknown' or 'Blocked' where the number is unknown.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
You don't need to create a contact entry. Just to the the Phone app, tap the blue "i" to the right of the number, scroll to the bottom and press Block.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
You don't need to create a contact entry. Just to the the Phone app, tap the blue "i" to the right of the number, scroll to the bottom and press Block.

yes but if you want to block just the country code you do need to create a contact - unless you know of a way to call yourself and have the number show up just as just the country code.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yes but if you want to block just the country code you do need to create a contact - unless you know of a way to call yourself and have the number show up just as just the country code.
So I've just added a contact with a phone number that is simply "1", which is the country code for US. I blocked that contact. I then called my phone from another phone (with a US number) that was able to call it before, and even with that contact being blocked the call still came through fine. I tried it with the phone number being "+1" for the contact, and had the same result. So, I'm not quite sure that this actually works.

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
And… nine years and nine iOS versions later, this issue still persists - what’s up with those brits and their spamming? 😅

I’ve added a feature request (asking for blocking by filters or country code):

If others do the same, maybe they’ll listen…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.