Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Hey everyone. I have a dilemma, and would appreciate any advice you may have. :)

I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 3, and for commonality, we kept them both on iOS 5.1.1 (the last version supported on the iPad 1). I'm tempted to update the iPad 3 to iOS 6.1.3 before iOS 7 comes out, so that if for some reason we REALLY don't like iOS 7, I'm not forever stuck on the 5.x line. :)

The problem is that I don't have the SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 (missed the signing window), and iFaith doesn't work on the iPad 3, so once I make that upgrade to 6.1.3 there is no going back. I would also lose the ability to jailbreak the iPad, although that isn't a huge priority... I probably should have done this when 6.1.2 was still being signed. :(

The majority of the iOS 5.x vs 6.x reviews on the iPad 3 are from when 6.0 first came out, and of course there were some problems back then and the reviews were mixed. But now that iOS 6 is at a "mature" 6.1.3, is it worth the upgrade on the iPad 3?

Thanks. :apple:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not au fait with how this all works on an iPad, but is it possible for you to grab the 6.1.3 blobs now so that you have them available for a future upgrade if you don't like 7?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It will be quite a while before Apple releases the public version of iOS7 and closes the window on iOS6.
As for me, 5.1.1 was very stable but so is 6.1.2 (and so I assume is 6.1.3) - I have both an iPad 3 and iPad 4 on 6.1.2.
You have weeks to contemplate and decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.