Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Honestly, I think I’m going to stick with my iPad 6th gen until next years model. USB-C, 64gb base storage, and an all screen design would make me update in a heartbeat. But the 6th gen is still very capable.

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
I just received the 10.2 8th generation. It came with the 20 watt USB-C charger which was really surprising to me. I think the previous gen came with a USB charger but can't remember what wattage.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just received the 10.2 8th generation. It came with the 20 watt USB-C charger which was really surprising to me. I think the previous gen came with a USB charger but can't remember what wattage.
12 Watt

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
10 watt in the UK. It will be interesting to see if we also get faster chargers with the new iPads.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Being able to use the smart keyboard would make it worthwhile for me. That plus the other improvements, even if fairly minor, would make it a pretty significant upgrade.

D@rthVader

Suspended
Sep 26, 2020
Korriban
I fully agree. For common day to day tasks, the iPad processors have out distanced the software for years. I had a 3rd gen iPad Air with A12 and 3GB RAM, and now have a 7th gen iPad with A10 and 3GB RAM. Honestly, for my purposes, I didn’t notice a difference in performance.

If you have a 6th gen or older with 2 GB RAM or less, the upgrade might be worth it.

These iPads are real sweethearts. Very durable. Great value. For folks that use laptops as their primary computer, this iPad makes a great secondary device.

Bolded statement is so true. The later iPads feel sometimes like a powerful sports car that you are stuck driving on busy city streets. Not a lot of chances to"open her up" :). A lot of apps dont tax them much. Thats good for most of us but there wll be users who do need that extra oomph. Ram is always welcome so thats where your biggest upgrade is when you go to the next gen of tablet. And yes, they are durable and seem to need less frequent upgrading than other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.