Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
And I don't have time to screw around with griefing buyers wanting it for $100 on eBay or who change their minds and want to return.
Private sellers don't have to accept returns and you can turn offers off...

Unless you make like 300 USD an hour, Apple trade-ins make zero sense.

Reactions: sracer

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa

Great! Then it can sit there unsold for 3 months because people won't be comfortable buying it during a pandemic unless I drop the price close to what I'd get from Apple anyway, all while I wait to sell it before buying the iPad better suited for my current needs. Bonus nonsense if the Mini 6 comes out and I need to slash the price further. And why should I try to sell it to them for $200 CDN extra or more anyway - close to new pricing - how's that fair on them when it's been used for nearly 2 years and has a degraded battery? Lol I get what you mean and appreciate it, but no thanks. The trade-in/prorated AppleCare is a lot less hassle, safer for my household during the pandemic (contactless pickups instead of going into post office in my hotspot area), I won't rip anyone off myself this way, and I'm happy with what I can already save on a new device. Not to mention the time I have to work on projects is important without delaying things/catch-up/overworking, so buggering around with Ebay listings just to squeeze a little bit more out of the profit kind of costs me more in the long run.

Last edited:

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
I am somewhat in your shoes (though coming from a 2017 iPad 5) and I decided to wait for the iPad 9, which I expect to be a relabelled iPad Air 3 (September will tell)

was hoping for an late march / April launch but that was not the case

Reactions: CRX

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I am somewhat in your shoes (though coming from a 2017 iPad 5) and I decided to wait for the iPad 9, which I expect to be a relabelled iPad Air 3 (September will tell)

was hoping for an late march / April launch but that was not the case
I was surprised that there wasn't at least the Mini 6 reveal as there were quite a few potential leaks leading up to the event. I'm wondering whether they'll do another press release reveal - would make sense if iPad 9 is simply taking on the Air 3 design and Mini 6 is just getting a minor bezel tweak. WWDC is in June so maybe they'll have something new hardware-wise to promote iPadOS 15 in addition to the M1 iPad Pros.

Reactions: ChrisChaval

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
yes, there were quite some high expectations for a redesigned/upgraded iPad mini but that did not happen either (was following the event just for the iPads ...)

from what I see, apple never showed the mini much love and it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the current design for the next generation, too (even just a minor change in design would still translate to elevated production costs, so why bother ..)

at this point, a launch via press release is quite possible

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I agree, though the break-even point is way below $300/hr. :) My time is valuable... not just in a monetary sense, but quality of life. I weigh the monetary difference between trading in (anywhere, not just Apple) and private sale against the amount of time and energy it will take to obtain the higher price of the private sale.

In larger communities, the effort needed is less... but in rural areas, it is quite different. I'm not hard up scrounging for money to make the purchase on a new iPad that I want to buy so maximizing top dollar isn't a high priority. I used to look at the trade-in values and think that for THAT price, I'll keep it. Except after a while I had a stack of devices that I wasn't using and became so old that I couldn't give away. ? (see my post about what to do with old iPads)

When I'm itching for a new iPad, I'll regularly take a peek at Best Buy's trade-in values. Trade-in values fluctuate, and not always lower. I haven't figured out what those values are based on or why they change the way they do, but there is usually a window where the trade-in value temporarily increases. (they sometimes offer more than what Apple offers) That's when I'll take a screenshot and head over to trade the device in.

For anyone trading in at Best Buy, be warned... they've begun to pull some shenanigans with the trade in process. Make sure that model numbers match exactly, print out the trade-in page and bring it with you. Obviously reset the iPad, and clean it thoroughly.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
I agree, though the break-even point is way below $300/hr. :) My time is valuable... not just in a monetary sense, but quality of life. I weigh the monetary difference between trading in (anywhere, not just Apple) and private sale against the amount of time and energy it will take to obtain the higher price of the private sale.

In larger communities, the effort needed is less... but in rural areas, it is quite different. I'm not hard up scrounging for money to make the purchase on a new iPad that I want to buy so maximizing top dollar isn't a high priority. I used to look at the trade-in values and think that for THAT price, I'll keep it. Except after a while I had a stack of devices that I wasn't using and became so old that I couldn't give away. ? (see my post about what to do with old iPads)

When I'm itching for a new iPad, I'll regularly take a peek at Best Buy's trade-in values. Trade-in values fluctuate, and not always lower. I haven't figured out what those values are based on or why they change the way they do, but there is usually a window where the trade-in value temporarily increases. (they sometimes offer more than what Apple offers) That's when I'll take a screenshot and head over to trade the device in.

For anyone trading in at Best Buy, be warned... they've begun to pull some shenanigans with the trade in process. Make sure that model numbers match exactly, print out the trade-in page and bring it with you. Obviously reset the iPad, and clean it thoroughly.
Exactly. While I'm lucky enough to be able to justify the expense (through hard work/said time that's crucial to me), a lot of people are enduring economic struggles/lost their jobs entirely and can't. It would make me feel selfish to squeeze them for marginally more than what Apple offers me. Apple, meanwhile, would accept the trade-in, pay me while offering discounted Applecare on a future purchase, replace the degraded battery on the trade-in, then prep for clearance pricing so someone can enjoy a good deal on a like-new product they can count on. They'd even get a warranty this way (as if an eBay seller is going to come to the rescue willingly if something happens). Besides that, imagine if that trip to the post office for extra profit from selling on eBay led to my household getting sick. I'm happy to avoid all that even if I'm not getting the full amount for a new iPad (would never expect this when the 64GB Mini/128 GB iPad 8 cost nearly the same here in Canada). Not sure if Best Buy replaces degraded batteries, screens etc., but I'd still need to go into a store needlessly anyway.

You can't take the money with you!

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
It would make me feel selfish to squeeze them for marginally more than what Apple offers
Good lord this is so not how markets work...
In larger communities, the effort needed is less... but in rural areas, it is quite different.
Do you guys don't have DHL or post services?

I put an iPad on ebay (scanning the barcode on the box, taking some pictures, and writing two sentences, 10 minutes tops). Buyer pays (less than he would have paid for an Apple refurb) via PayPal, I buy a postage and next time I'm close to a DHL or post office I hand in the package and show the QR code on my phone. Takes maybe a combined 30 minutes.

The buyer is happy because he's got a nice iPad for a great price, I'm happy because I got like three times the amount an Apple trade-in would have yielded and paypal and DHL each got a cut because they made the experience entirely risk-free and painless for both the buyer and the seller.

CRX

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa

I put an iPad on ebay (scanning the barcode on the box, taking some pictures, and writing two sentences, 10 minutes tops). Buyer pays (less than he would have paid for an Apple refurb) via PayPal, I buy a postage and next time I'm close to a DHL or post office I hand in the package and show the QR code on my phone. Takes maybe a combined 30 minutes.

The buyer is happy because he's got a nice iPad for a great price, I'm happy because I got like three times the amount an Apple trade-in would have yielded and paypal and DHL each got a cut because they made the experience entirely risk-free and painless for both the buyer and the seller.
Except for the matter of still needing to find a buyer. Pricing it realistically (lol 3 times the price, I'm so glad that applies to this specific arrangement). Not really having time to screw around waiting for someone to bite, which doesn't normally happen as instantaneously as you imply. Listing fees that can eat into the profit if you're struggling to sell it. Visiting the post office/shipping location (which you were happy to ignore my reasons for not doing so - unless you wanna drive me elsewhere? I could take the bus too if you'd like). The fact that buying refurbished from Apple ensures an essentially like-new unit in terms of functionality with degraded parts replaced and a warranty, representing a better deal in the long run. Oh, and eBay's buyer-focused protections along with their abysmal support system (newsflash: you're not the only one who's sold on there).

You go ahead and work on those "markets." Someone's gonna get to enjoy a like-new Mini 5 with a fresh battery at a discount that will last them longer, plus they'll get a year of Applecare coverage. I'm gonna be just fine thanks to my own work, making progress on projects with a more suitable device for my needs without any nonsense in getting there, plus I won't need to rush/overwork or compromise anything.

Back to the actual point of this thread. Thanks to everyone else for their insights who helped me pull the trigger/explore whether this is a viable option vs. waiting for iPad 9. I feel great about my decision with no regrets. Time to unwatch and get back to work! Super excited for delivery day :D

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

? I've sold many things on eBay over the past 20+ years. I no longer sell electronic devices, Apple in particular on eBay. eBay has changed their fee structure and transaction protection (skewing more heavily toward buyers than sellers) over the years to make it less appealing for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Agreed. It's hard to turn down overtime but I'm so stressed and tired recently that I've had to.

In larger communities, the effort needed is less... but in rural areas, it is quite different. I'm not hard up scrounging for money to make the purchase on a new iPad that I want to buy so maximizing top dollar isn't a high priority. I used to look at the trade-in values and think that for THAT price, I'll keep it. Except after a while I had a stack of devices that I wasn't using and became so old that I couldn't give away. ? (see my post about what to do with old iPads).

Lol, same, although most of my older iPads went to good homes back when they were still quite usable (was on annual upgrade until the Air).

However, I did keep an iPad 4 on iOS 6 for the longest time. I can't even give it away now because I'd feel too sorry for whoever will have to deal with it.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
Oh yeah no doubt about the Air 4/New pros design you REALLY feel like you have to baby it. I finally got a proper working one with no issues on my 3rd try and I'm worried about it aging and getting any potential white spots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.