Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooldus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
I've been hearing reports that the speakers on the new iPad Pro 11-inch M4 might not be as good as the previous generation, possibly due to the thinner design.
I'm considering either the new iPad Air 6 M2 11-inch or the iPad Pro M4 11-inch, and I’m specifically interested in the sound quality for listening to podcasts and YouTube at mid-volume.
I know the iPad Pro has four speakers while the iPad Air has two, but which model has better sound quality? Has anyone compared the two? Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: aypues

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
No Air speaker can compare with the Quad of any of the Pro models

Pro models vary slightly generation to generation

However even the worst Pro will outdo any Air as clearly as night and day

The same way as any iPad or iPhone with 120 Hz that’s not underpowered will appear much snappier than all 60 Hz displays, doesn’t matter if the iPad with 120 Hz is from 2018 and the 60 Hz one from 2024

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
FYI my m4 13 is much louder than my m1 11 although the latter sounds slightly better

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I'm sure the Pros have better speakers across the board but I don't think my 10.5" Pro sounded that much better than my 11" M2 Air. Neither are anywhere close the quality of the KEF LS50Ws or Focal Shape 65s that I use for critical or serious listening.

And about four speaker arrays, there is nothing inherently better about them versus two speakers for two channel audio. I assume that the Pro speaker arrays have other design characteristics that make them better than the two speaker arrays in the Air. Just adding speakers alone doesn't automatically improve anything. If it did, audiophile caliber speakers wouldn't be sold in pairs as they almost always are.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
So ive just got the new 11” Pro and comparing to my 2018 Pro, the clarity is much better on this new one.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I'm sure the Pros have better speakers across the board but I don't think my 10.5" Pro sounded that much better than my 11" M2 Air. Neither are anywhere close the quality of the KEF LS50Ws or Focal Shape 65s that I use for critical or serious listening.

And about four speaker arrays, there is nothing inherently better about them versus two speakers for two channel audio. I assume that the Pro speaker arrays have other design characteristics that make them better than the two speaker arrays in the Air. Just adding speakers alone doesn't automatically improve anything. If it did, audiophile caliber speakers wouldn't be sold in pairs as they almost always are.
You’re thinking in the wrong direction

4 speakers in an iPad Pro means the sound will be mor4 balanced, less directional and overall louder, that’s the only difference

you can’t compare it to why a stereo might be more suitable than 5.1 for listening to music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.