Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Hello everyone!

I want to share some thoughts about my recently purchased ipad pro with mini led:

It's awesome! I love the screen! First I had the iPad air (first one) then moved to mini but realized that I didn't use them quite often so I sold them (like 5 years ago).

My MBP 2014 is obsolete now(so apple says, and the battery expanded? Buffed?) So I thought about a laptop replacement... pulled the trigger and bought the 12.9 ipad pro.

I like it, I really do! But today I had to do some meetings and workflow and realized that it is "different" lil bit more complicated from what I'm used to.

So I ask for advice... Should I keep it or return it? I've seen videos about ipad os 15 and I think they are nice. But the upcoming colorful macs makes me skeptical.

or maybe I just need time to get used to…

Any comments will be really appreciated!

Last edited:

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
IMO the difference between various platforms is workflow, whether it's comparing Mac to iPad or PC etc. Various platforms may have limitations on available workflows based on software that is available to achieve them. Workflows and their acceptability are a completely subjective thing. People can debate the virtues of one platform over another purely based upon their own subjectivity, but that doesn't mean a given platform is superior to another for all users.

For all we know, your perception of "different" and a "lil bit more complicated from what I'm used to" comes down to your expectations for workflow vs the workflows available to you on the iPad. It could very well be that certain software exists to better meet your expectations and you merely need to adjust workflow slightly to achieve that. . . . or not. Hard to say unless you expand upon what is particularly difficult in your use case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like it, I really do! But today I had to do some meetings and workflow and realized that it is "different" lil bit more complicated from what I'm used to.

Only you can decide if its worth it to keep or return. I will say work stuff is can be harder with a tablet - at least for now. I love my iPad and use it often, but for me its a media consumption device. Did I need to get the iPad Pro, absolutely not, its a splurge but I'm content.

If you're not sure and you're not content, then maybe its not for you

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Oh man… ?
thanks anyway.
Why don't you tell use more about what you actually do or need to do with it? It's possible that a Mac would be the better choice, or it's possible that there are easy workarounds on the iPad, but it's impossible to know without knowing exactly what you want/need to do with it.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Why don't you tell use more about what you actually do or need to do with it? It's possible that a Mac would be the better choice, or it's possible that there are easy workarounds on the iPad, but it's impossible to know without knowing exactly what you want/need to do with it.
Thanks. What I use the iPad for:
Google meet (deleted already cause the app is so bad as well as gmail), Zoom and the share screen function at the same time as keynote, pages or pdfs.
Will need to use numbers and copy information and pictures from the internet and scan some documents (which I think will be better thanks to the cameras) too.
I bought a keyboard and I’m waiting for the stand (I really don’t like the angle of the mk).
Tomorrow I will try the sharing screen actions… I think the experience is way different from the content consumption one.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
I thought when you said colorful macs you meant the iMacs. So you'd like to have another MBP or possibly an MBA.

Are you using your new iPad Pro with a keyboard case, and if so, which one?
I’m using the digital keyboard.
When I need to write a lot I have the iMac keyboard :D

Btw, do you know what I have to do to on the iPad? On Mac I just type the right arrow on keyboard (Pic attached).

Attachments

• 20210708_193719.jpg
    20210708_193719.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 95

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’m using the digital keyboard.
When I need to write a lot I have the iMac keyboard :D

Btw, do you know what I have to do to on the iPad? On Mac I just type the right arrow on keyboard (Pic attached).
I'm unsure what you're trying to do there. Select text? If so, you can double tap on a word to select it, or triple tap to select the paragraph.

In case you haven't seen this, here are some other iPad keyboard commands:

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
I'm unsure what you're trying to do there. Select text? If so, you can double tap on a word to select it, or triple tap to select the paragraph.

In case you haven't seen this, here are some other iPad keyboard commands:
No, it’s not select. I type that key to make it write all the text that’s is in grey/shadows instead of typing it myself.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hello everyone!

I want to share some thoughts about my recently purchased ipad pro with mini led:

It's awesome! I love the screen! First I had the iPad air (first one) then moved to mini but realized that I didn't use them quite often so I sold them (like 5 years ago).

My MBP 2014 is obsolete now(so apple says, and the battery expanded? Buffed?) So I thought about a laptop replacement... pulled the trigger and bought the 12.9 ipad pro.

So I ask for advice... Should I keep it or return it? I've seen videos about ipad os 15 and I think they are nice. But the upcoming colorful macs makes me skeptical.

Is it a matter of not being able to use apps needed for work in a practical and productive manner on the new iPad Pro, or more so a matter of you still trying to get used to the new device. Something to think about. Make sure you know the answer before returning or keeping. Strangers can't give you the answer.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
No, it’s not select. I type that key to make it write all the text that’s is in grey/shadows instead of typing it myself.
I understand now. On the iPad, go to Settings > General > Keyboard and turn on Predictive Text. The text suggestions will appear in a bar like this:

AE1877E7-AA11-4036-A546-8BCF1B1F5F76.jpeg

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
I understand now. On the iPad, go to Settings > General > Keyboard and turn on Predictive Text. The text suggestions will appear in a bar like this:

View attachment 1803924
No it’s not :’’(
On the Mac I type the left arrow to make all the text suggestions (more than one word) appear without the need to type them myself… on the iPad there are no arrow keys, I think I have tried all keys on the keyboard already And if I connect the keyboard it works! (With the right arrow key).

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
No it’s not :’’(
On the Mac I type the left arrow to make all the text suggestions (more than one word) appear without the need to type them myself… on the iPad there are no arrow keys, I think I have tried all keys on the keyboard already And if I connect the keyboard it works! (With the right arrow key).
I'll have to try that on my Mac tomorrow. Then I'll understand it better. Oh well.

Reactions: Goompa

bunty07

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
I have both iPad Pro and MacBook Air
For the things you mentioned like zoom and it’s screen sharing options it’s best you get a Mac. If you can have both it will be even easier. I share lot of stuff from my iPad on zoom screen share when I am using the mac. (Zoom has a nice feature to screen share your iPhone or iPad via cable or wireless.)
Again only you can decide what works best for you. Hope what I shared is helpful.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
If you still can return it, then Id try my best to see what kind of work-arounds or alternative workflows/apps you could use to make it work the way you prefer to organize your working habits and productivity levels.
If it just doesnt seems right and doesnt work for you, by all means return it and wait for new Macbooks.

I used 10.5 iPar Pro for almost two years as my sole personal computing device, I did have desktop PC at work, but at home I always used my iPad, it was mostly for leisure, however, Im now looking for a bit more better time spent behind my gadgets and what Ive learned is that for certain tasks you cant live with iPad only, no matter the power. So Im eager to see what autumn brings in 14" for MBP's. In the meantime 12.9 XDR should do just fine for me, that and my gf's Surface Book in case I need it for school that Im entering late summer, I already researched, iPad only wont cut it there, unless remoting with it into computer or connecting Rasperry Pi with Linux to it through USB C :D

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hello everyone!

enjoy what you want, Live your best life. You dont need reassurance or justification from anyone here.

Personally the M1 chip and 8GB of RAM are wasted in the MiniLED iPad Pro because it lacks sufficient cooling to really push the chip. And by the time developers and Apple have iPad OS 16 ready with features the M1 can harness, the 3nm M2 or M3 chips will be ready.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Text editing is a nightmare on iOS, completely mad. Sometimes it takes strong focus, a steady hand, several attempts, and 10-15 seconds to merely highlight a passage within a paragraph, not even talking about more complex workflows... however, I find the iPad great for relaxed, expressive doodling with the Apple Pencil...

Reactions: shanirashid

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Thanks. What I use the iPad for:
Google meet (deleted already cause the app is so bad as well as gmail), Zoom and the share screen function at the same time as keynote, pages or pdfs.
Will need to use numbers and copy information and pictures from the internet and scan some documents (which I think will be better thanks to the cameras) too.
I bought a keyboard and I’m waiting for the stand (I really don’t like the angle of the mk).
Tomorrow I will try the sharing screen actions… I think the experience is way different from the content consumption one.
I tried it for the last month or so, few things I missed from my old 27” 2015 iMac i sold, so got a M1 24“ today, best of both now.

BA124CFD-B2AD-4BC2-A698-FA306313670D.jpeg
28666E5F-8920-4F0F-8A17-47A73B665268.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.