Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
Something that has annoyed me with iPads for a long time is the volume up/down buttons. In landscape orientation, when I press volume up the onscreen volume level indicator moves to the right, but I’m pushing the left button. When I push the right button, the volume indicator moves to the left. I’ve always thought this was backwards.

My new iPad (13 inch iPad Pro )has reversed the behavior in landscape orientation. Volume up is the lower/right button and volume down is the left/upper button in landscape format. Then it switches back to the upper button being volume up and lower button being volume down in portrait orientation.

I haven’t seen any reviewers mention this so I thought you guys might like to know.

Kudos to Apple.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
All new iPad models since the mini 6 in 2021 do this.

The problem is when you want to adjust volume without looking at the screen, or without the screen being turned on, and the iPad is laying flat or is being held in some unclear orientation, then you don’t know which button does what.

IMO Apple should have moved the buttons to the opposite side, which would have solved the inconsistency without introducing dynamic behavior.

Reactions: kenny7 and Devyn89

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Something that has annoyed me with iPads for a long time is the volume up/down buttons. In landscape orientation, when I press volume up the onscreen volume level indicator moves to the right, but I’m pushing the left button. When I push the right button, the volume indicator moves to the left. I’ve always thought this was backwards.

My new iPad (13 inch iPad Pro )has reversed the behavior in landscape orientation. Volume up is the lower/right button and volume down is the left/upper button in landscape format. Then it switches back to the upper button being volume up and lower button being volume down in portrait orientation.

I haven’t seen any reviewers mention this so I thought you guys might like to know.

Kudos to Apple.
Totally agree with you. Now it is training my brain to do it that way again, but agree much better.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Brilliant idea by Apple, add it to the worse speakers.
At least fid is on top now, flap that was dumb on the older iPads.
Gotta wonder if they test this stuff.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
It’s not new and it’s terrible. They removed the option to change it back when it’s in landscape it and its really dumb.

Reactions: Johnny907

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014

Kudos to Apple.
This isn't new, and it's annoying AF. Volume up/down should be consistent regardless of orientation.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
It’s not new and it’s terrible. They removed the option to change it back when it’s in landscape it and its really dumb.
My 2017 10.5" iPad Pro lets me choose which way it works
Settings -> Sounds -> Fixed Position Volume Controls

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Im shocked Apple hasn’t added a setting for us to adjust it to how I like. When I have my ipad in landscape I always accidentally hit the wrong side of the button.

Reactions: Johnny907

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
My 2017 10.5" iPad Pro lets me choose which way it works
Settings -> Sounds -> Fixed Position Volume Controls

Yeah for whatever reason Apple removed the option to change it back on the newer devices.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Amusing, I used to hate that on my 2020 pro but got used to it so now I’m totally thrown off with this new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.