Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy an iPad Mini 2 in 2017?

• No way!

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters

PaulaE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Spain
Hello guys,I am already a owner of mini 4,but I want another mini for family use, I see a new not opened box mini 2 for 230 dollars...with 32GB,but I am wondering if worth it to pay that money for an iPad that it's discontinued and oldie...What do you think guys? It's a deal for that price or not?

Thanks for the help!!!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If iPad is only used for light browsing, document viewing, then might be a decent deal. However hardware wise, iPad mini 2 will soon be abandoned alongside iPad mini 3, followed by iPad mini 4 the year after 2 and 3 losing iOS update support.

It is mainly up to you but I suggest you look at other iPad models rather than this one.

Reactions: PaulaE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hello guys,I am already a owner of mini 4,but I want another mini for family use, I see a new not opened box mini 2 for 230 dollars...with 32GB,but I am wondering if worth it to pay that money for an iPad that it's discontinued and oldie...What do you think guys? It's a deal for that price or not?

Thanks for the help!!!

Truthfully, I would not purchase the iPad mini 2. I would Invest the extra money into the mini 4, which will be supported longer and has much more updated specifications.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
My mum has one. Her needs are light. It was bought at the end of last year. She is getting the 2017 iPad 9.7.

Her words, "it feels like it's never off charge". Also, "it's too small".

Reactions: PaulaE

PaulaE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Spain
Thanks a lot for the replies,makes me not to buy the mini 2 hehe,I am gonna wait for the WWDC just in case..and if there is not news about a new mini..I am going to order a mini 4 or Air :)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello guys,I am already a owner of mini 4,but I want another mini for family use, I see a new not opened box mini 2 for 230 dollars...with 32GB,but I am wondering if worth it to pay that money for an iPad that it's discontinued and oldie...What do you think guys? It's a deal for that price or not
Definitely not on the iPad Mini 2 for $230US. You can get a new iPad 9.7 for $309US. The mini 2 came out late 2013 and has been discontinued by Apple.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The biggest limitation of my iPad Mini 2 is only 1GB DRAM. Unless you want to suffer poor user experience get something with at least 2GB if not more.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
My iPad mini 2 is fine for surfing the web and doing light stuff. But I do feel it showing it's age. It slows and lags here & there. I've been waiting for the iPad Pro updates, but for now I will keep using it. Just keep in mind, the mini 2 is on the edge of becoming obsolete as iOS updates keep coming in the future.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Ipad Mini 2 will problably be supported just one more year. It will receive IOS 11. But what about IOS 12?.

So, no , Mini 2 its almost outdated.Not worth buying .

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Nope. It came out almost 4 years ago. Apple years are like dog years.

More like tech years in general are dog years. Apple devices actually age a lot better than android in my experience. They definitely receive updates/support a lot longer.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For simple content consumption, it is alright. Just set your expectation properly.

I still use mine (which I bought on launch day) simply because I don't see the mini 4 is worth the upgrade at this point, but personally I wouldn't buy the mini 2 today. With iOS 10, the mini 2 chugs along okay, but you will feel more jankiness here and there.

I really hope Apple would update the mini lineup soon. I doubt my mini 2 would perform any better on iOS 11.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
More like tech years in general are dog years. Apple devices actually age a lot better than android in my experience. They definitely receive updates/support a lot longer.
Although it's true older devices get updates, it's also true that older devices get much slower with each new update. Apple is well known for planned obsolescence, which is why it's generally not a good idea to buy much older Apple hardware.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
For the right price, anything could be worth it. It sounds like you'll have to pay $490 for a new one??? That is a big difference.

An "old" mini 2 can be a totally useful product if the other option is to wait for a year until you have enough money to buy something newer for $500.

In your situation I might buy the mini 2.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Although it's true older devices get updates, it's also true that older devices get much slower with each new update. Apple is well known for planned obsolescence, which is why it's generally not a good idea to buy much older Apple hardware.

I personally wouldn't buy older devices for myself, but I don't really agree with your premise. I don't find the drop off in performance over time of iOS devices to be as bad as some people make it out to be. You'd be hard pressed to find an Android device from 2013 that performs as well as a Mini 2. I know a number of people who are still happily using pre-Air iPads with no urgent desire to upgrade. If you think that Apple is notorious for planned obsolescence, you must not have much experience with non-Apple tablets

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
An iPad Mini 2 can still be a great device, but $230 is too much. I bought a used 32GB recently on eBay for around a hundred dollars and am very happy with it (use the Kindle app more than anything.) They tend to go for more, but shop around and you can find one for a good price.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

Thanks for the help!!!

Seems like a waste for outdated unsupported hardware. For $99 more you can get the 2017 9.7" iPad. That's peanuts when you're going to keep the equipment for 4+ years.

Reactions: Peter K.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
I personally wouldn't buy older devices for myself, but I don't really agree with your premise. I don't find the drop off in performance over time of iOS devices to be as bad as some people make it out to be. You'd be hard pressed to find an Android device from 2013 that performs as well as a Mini 2. I know a number of people who are still happily using pre-Air iPads with no urgent desire to upgrade. If you think that Apple is notorious for planned obsolescence, you must not have much experience with non-Apple tablets
I'm sorry, but I just don't share your experience. Also, I'm comparing Apple products to Apple products, not Apple products to Android products. Android products are notoriously bad with updates and aging, especially from several years ago and earlier. I've owned both Apple and Android devices since both first came out. I agree Apple devices age better, but Apple devices do get slower with each new update. This is not an isolated incident. Many, many people have experienced this. I think this will become less of an issue as time goes on with how fast phones and computers are getting. Again, Apple is most definitely known for planned obsolescence. Apple is very much in the here and now ... and although it's great they have far better support for older hardware than Android by a wide margin (it's not even worth comparing, Android is a joke in the update department), that doesn't change the speed of their devices with each new OS release. But like I said, this will become less and less of an issue as hardware gets faster and faster, especially the phones. The problem is much less of an issue on Macs, except they do cut off entire hardware lines after 5+ years. It's definitely not like Windows where computers will get support for a decade or so. Apple does like to move forward and they don't want older hardware gimping what they're working on right now. Although that's perfectly understandable, it's something that should absolutely be considered when buying older Mac hardware. And when Apple moves their OS to AFS (Apple File System), they may very well cut off even more Macs at that point and only support Macs that come with solid state storage, since that's what AFS is specifically made for.

And of course there are those that simply don't care that the Mac they're buying can't be updated anymore if it does exactly what they need it to do. Same with phones or tablets.

Last edited:

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Thanks for the help!!!

Bought one for my wife at Christmas. She is very happy. She reads books, emails, Facebook, browses the internet, and uses FaceTime with family. We sit right next to each other in bed using our iPads. She has the mini 2 I have the mini 4. We can do the exact same thing. There has never been a issue where hers was too slow, or the graphics looked any different from mine. I say go for it. The only thing I can see thats any different is the 2 is slightly thicker than the 4.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm sorry, but I just don't share your experience. Also, I'm comparing Apple products to Apple products, not Apple products to Android products. Android products are notoriously bad with updates and aging, especially from several years ago and earlier. I've owned both Apple and Android devices since both first came out. I agree Apple devices age better, but Apple devices do get slower with each new update. This is not an isolated incident. Many, many people have experienced this. I think this will become less of an issue as time goes on with how fast phones and computers are getting. Again, Apple is most definitely known for planned obsolescence. Apple is very much in the here and now ... and although it's great they have far better support for older hardware than Android by a wide margin (it's not even worth comparing, Android is a joke in the update department), that doesn't change the speed of their devices with each new OS release. But like I said, this will become less and less of an issue as hardware gets faster and faster, especially the phones. The problem is much less of an issue on Macs, except they do cut off entire hardware lines after 5+ years. It's definitely not like Windows where computers will get support for a decade or so. Apple does like to move forward and they don't want older hardware gimping what they're working on right now. Although that's perfectly understandable, it's something that should absolutely be considered when buying older Mac hardware. And when Apple moves their OS to AFS (Apple File System), they may very well cut off even more Macs at that point and only support Macs that come with solid state storage, since that's what AFS is specifically made for.

And of course there are those that simply don't care that the Mac they're buying can't be updated anymore if it does exactly what they need it to do. Same with phones or tablets.

I didn't say that Apple products don't slow down, but that's unavoidable. If the OS and features become more demanding and the hardware stays the same, something has to give. New software is meant to take advantage of the capabilities of more advanced hardware, otherwise what's the point? But as you say, it becomes less of an issue as hardware becomes more powerful. Look at the iPad Air 2, it's almost two years old and it has barely aged at all. I also don't think that its fair to say that Apple is notorious for planned obsolescence, but then say that's only if you don't compare it to its main competitor, which is worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.