Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

first_iPad_user

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Has any one experienced their new iPad mini 5 not starting to charge when connected to power until several seconds or even up to several minutes after connecting to power?

Seems to be related to the order of how you connect the iPad to power. This is easily reproduced when connecting the power supply to AC, connecting the lightning end into the iPad and lastly connecting the USB end into the charger.
Or, alternatively, when everything is connected, each time you disconnect and connect the charge cable at the wall supply the iPad may or may not start charging right away.
Under the same conditions Mini 4 will charge immediately every time. no matter in what order it is connected.

Thought this may be related to the new support for USB-C PD in this iPad but the new 10.5 which also introduced this feature does not seem to have this issue...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don't know if Apple can detect if there is water in the charging port, but I do know if you have debris in the charging port area, it won't charge (like pocket lint - that's my biggest problem).

Also, I've had a few Apple cables go bad so I have a handful of Anker iPhone cables throughout the house, work, car.

I've only had this problem on my iPhone. As long as the mini was eventually charging, I wouldn't worry about it. All my Apple devices have had their own personality to them - and all have lasted longer than I've owned them for. But if it bothers you, you could definitely take it into an Apple store and show them.

None of my devices have taken 5 seconds to charge when plugged in. :/

qinan

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2019
My ipad mini 5 also has this issues to..it is not starting to charge when conected to power cable, waiting couple of seconds and the mini start charging. Even sometimes, it wont charge at all, so i unplugged the power and plug it again. Try different adapter (from my iphone adapter), the charging delay issues still shown up.
I already sold my ipad mini 5, not because of this issues, but because the screen is too small for me. Rightnow im using ipad air 3 and it doesnt have this issues.
My mini 5 is 64 gb and wifi only, space grey

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
And where in that article does it support your guess? I don’t see a section that says “if the charging icon comes up delayed, the device checks for water in the connector, but only on this one model of iPad.”

The article doesn’t even feature the words water or liquid.

Please backup your claim.
LOL!

Where does it say it is delayed due to checking for water?
Oops! My bad! Maybe this Reddit post can help clear things up: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/com...ike_this/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

1) iPhone not iPad
2) looks like iOS 13 beta
3) the OP never mentioned a pop up message so this is unlikely related
4) the other forum member who has a similar issue also didn’t mention a pop up messages

Next time you want to leave an uneducated guess, maybe just be bold enough to say “I personally have no experience with this but the following link has something that I guess may be related to what you’re experiencing “.

I don’t mean you any bad, but you should be driven by the wish to help the OP. We can only help the OP by providing useable information or asking further clarification questions.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
1) iPhone not iPad
It doesn’t make sense to me that the warning wouldn’t happen on an iPad either. iPhone and iPad technically have the same connector after all.
[doublepost=1564926478][/doublepost]
2) looks like iOS 13 beta
That warning feature has been around since iOS 10: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/07/20/ios-10-water-in-the-lightning/
[doublepost=1564926591][/doublepost]
3) the OP never mentioned a pop up message so this is unlikely related
4) the other forum member who has a similar issue also didn’t mention a pop up messages
Yeah, I think I just misunderstood OP this whole time...
[doublepost=1564926759][/doublepost]
Next time you want to leave an uneducated guess, maybe just be bold enough to say “I personally have no experience with this but the following link has something that I guess may be related to what you’re experiencing “.
I definitely should’ve said that. Oh, and I’ll gladly take the blame. It was my fault.
[doublepost=1564926921][/doublepost]
I don’t mean you any bad, but you should be driven by the wish to help the OP. We can only help the OP by providing useable information or asking further clarification questions.
I understand what you mean, no worries.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

Navidat59

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Has any one experienced their new iPad mini 5 not starting to charge when connected to power until several seconds or even up to several minutes after connecting to power?

Seems to be related to the order of how you connect the iPad to power. This is easily reproduced when connecting the power supply to AC, connecting the lightning end into the iPad and lastly connecting the USB end into the charger.
Or, alternatively, when everything is connected, each time you disconnect and connect the charge cable at the wall supply the iPad may or may not start charging right away.
Under the same conditions Mini 4 will charge immediately every time. no matter in what order it is connected.

Thought this may be related to the new support for USB-C PD in this iPad but the new 10.5 which also introduced this feature does not seem to have this issue...
Hi, I have this problem with my iPad mini 5. May I ask with did you do with your iPad and how it is working now?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

Can you provide information on the powder adapter used, and the power cable used? Brand / Power rating / USB-C PD support/etc? (Yes, Power Cables can be rated for USB-C PD compatibility)

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I noticed my mini 5 sometimes takes about five seconds to start charging. I don’t recall my mini 4 ever doing that. Sometimes the mini 5 charges right away though, so I’m not sure what’s going on. In any case, if that’s the worst of it, it’s not a big deal.

Aneesh Varma

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2020

I recently bought iPad mini 5 and I am experiencing the same issue ... When I connect to charger it takes like 5 seconds to detect the charging....
Is this normal or did I get a damaged product??

Reactions: Navidat59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.