Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave3641

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2018
Could it be checking for the new faster PD charging chip before starting to charge? I have not got a new faster charging iPhone to compare with.

Saikrishna Mudhiraj

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
So every mini 5 user facing this issuse same as me. No problem. And anyone had a chat or call with apple service online about this issue. I tried from my side but apple executives are not working right now.

Reactions: Navidat59

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So every mini 5 user facing this issuse same as me. No problem. And anyone had a chat or call with apple service online about this issue. I tried from my side but apple executives are not working right now.

Which Apple executives did you attempt to call?

warsaws

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
I have this same delay to start charging on my mini 5. Id just like to know if it’s normal or indicative of a hardware problem. I contacted Apple today and they wouldn’t answer that question. They would only offer to ship it in for repair.
[automerge]1585259922[/automerge]
I’m not convinced that every mini 5 user has this issue.

Navidat59

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
I recently bought iPad mini 5 and I am experiencing the same issue ... When I connect to charger it takes like 5 seconds to detect the charging....
Is this normal or did I get a damaged product??
Did you Still have this problem even after new softare update?

John Colombo

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
I just got my mini 5 yesterday and I have this issue too. It takes about 5-7 seconds to start charging. I also noticed the port on the pad seems very tight. At least much tighter than my phone which is an old 6s.

Reactions: crispswish

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I just got my mini 5 yesterday and I have this issue too. It takes about 5-7 seconds to start charging. I also noticed the port on the pad seems very tight. At least much tighter than my phone which is an old 6s.

My mini 5 does the same. Got about release day. It didn’t do it when it was new, so I suspect it’s software based problem.

It works fine, so now I just wait and se if it’s charging before a leave the iPad.

Frank

Reactions: John Colombo

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The charging port on mine seemed tight when it was new, but I can’t remember the last time I noticed it now.

Charging delay comes and goes it seems. Yesterday was the biggest delay in a long time. I might try the Apple store before my AC+ runs out next year.

Reactions: crispswish

panpizza

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
Hello guys

It seems that I have the same issue as some of you here.

I bought a new iPad mini 5 on 13/5/20 and I have the same problem. I called Apple Support and they offered to do an exchange for me.

I sent it back and got a replacement iPad mini 5 on 19/5/20. Still, the same problem arise. I called Apple Support again and the advisor told me that it seems like a few people are having the same problem. He will check with the engineering team and get back to me. This morning I received an email saying that he has an update for me and he'll be calling me soon.

On side note, when the iPad mini is in recovery mode, there is no delay in the charging. It charges as soon as it is plugged in. I believe that there must be an error on the software side... Still, got to wait for that call.

Reactions: Ian Almanon II

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
My iPad mini 5 also does this - takes about 3-5 seconds to start charging. In for an update.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I haven’t experienced any delayed charging on mini 5 yet. But its charging port is unusually tight compared to any of my other iDevices since the 1st day I got it at the end of April of this year. I wonder if the tight charging port is a precursor of this delayed charging problem...

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Mine (bought on launch day) does this as well. It didn’t when I bought it but does so now. Since it always does end up charging I’ve just chucked this up to some software change and not thought much about it.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Thinking about it, I noticed a while ago that it looked like there was something in my charger port. At first I thought it was a hair, as it kind of curls up. I couldn’t hoover it out and I checked on a relative’s Mini 5 (though theirs is WiFi and mine Cellular) and it isn’t there. I now think it’s a crack and wonder if that causes the charging delay.

Anyone else?

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Same with my mini 5 - I don’t remember it doing this in the past so I wonder if it’s related to one of the recent iOS updates.

cheezypuffs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I'm glad I Googled this problem. Mine has been doing it as well. I wouldn't count on Apple doing anything about it, and as long as it's not causing problems not worth the time and energy dealing with them.
That actually makes me wonder- does y'alls iPad get fairly warm when charging??

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I'm glad I Googled this problem. Mine has been doing it as well. I wouldn't count on Apple doing anything about it, and as long as it's not causing problems not worth the time and energy dealing with them.
That actually makes me wonder- does y'alls iPad get fairly warm when charging??

Yes if I use it at the same time. Otherwise is a no.

Yes you can fell a little bit but no warm as you describe.

Frank

Ian Almanon II

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
My ipad mini 5 also has this issues to..it is not starting to charge when conected to power cable, waiting couple of seconds and the mini start charging. Even sometimes, it wont charge at all, so i unplugged the power and plug it again. Try different adapter (from my iphone adapter), the charging delay issues still shown up.
I already sold my ipad mini 5, not because of this issues, but because the screen is too small for me. Rightnow im using ipad air 3 and it doesnt have this issues.
My mini 5 is 64 gb and wifi only, space grey
Hi do you have email where i can stay connected with you for this issue mine also has this issue :( just today i got my new ipad mini is this an ios issue :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.