Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuccs14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
This is my second mini 5 due to the same issue, here it is compared to my iPad Air 3, both screens same black screen test video, both devices set to max brightness. Anyone else here have any similar issues or should I exchange again?

https://imgur.com/a/BY0SyAD

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is my second mini 5 due to the same issue, here it is compared to my iPad Air 3, both screens same black screen test video, both devices set to max brightness. Anyone else here have any similar issues or should I exchange again?

That's not normal. I don't recommend exchanging it, but return it for a refund. Then wait 3-5 months and repurchase one.

Tuccs14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
I returned the mini to Best Buy and went to the local Apple store to pick one up, same issue...not sure what to do now.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Do you open your devices in the store? Perhaps exchange but open in store to check that you don’t get another unit with a bad screen.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
That's not normal. I don't recommend exchanging it, but return it for a refund. Then wait 3-5 months and repurchase one.
Waiting 3 - 5 months for what? There is no reason to wait, unless one adheres to logical fallacy, and believes that Apple has a hardware / manufacturing defect specific to the iPad mini 5 that would continue to affect other iPad mini 5 in the same product lot(s) it isn't making known to the public.

The forum member should return the iPad mini and purchase a new one. There is no logical reason to tell someone to wait.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
Do you open your devices in the store? Perhaps exchange but open in store to check that you don’t get another unit with a bad screen.

I don’t know how much use opening in store is. I did that with one of my iPads but all you can get it the Hello screen, which is white. You can’t do much else without setting it up.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Waiting 3 - 5 months for what? There is no reason to wait, unless one adheres to logical fallacy, and believes that Apple has a hardware / manufacturing defect specific to the iPad mini 5 that would continue to affect other iPad mini 5 in the same product lot(s) it isn't making known to the public.

The forum member should return the iPad mini and purchase a new one. There is no logical reason to tell someone to wait.
You are free to believe what you'd like.

In the lead-up to an announcement there are manufacturing pressures to build up inventory. Depending upon the aggressiveness of the schedule, spec tolerances can be temporarily raised to meet the quotas. That can result in things like "light bleed", slightly misaligned components, etc.

Once the initial batch of units has been manufactured, the tolerances return to normal. This is why there is always a flurry of reports about manufacturing defects in the first month or so after a release, but you don't see the same rate for the remainder of the product's life (even when normalized for expected sell rates)

Except for the iPad 1 (which I pre-ordered on day-1), I generally wait 3-5 months after ANY electronic device is released and I've never encountered any of the issues that are reported here.

This is the advice I gave, people are free to take it , consider it, or discard it. The OP just posted that they returned the first unit for a second and the second unit has the same issue. I'll leave it at that.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I don’t know how much use opening in store is. I did that with one of my iPads but all you can get it the Hello screen, which is white. You can’t do much else without setting it up.

I restored mine from a backup in the store, as the store has free WiFi. Not infallible, but it’s what I like to do if buying in store from Apple.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020

Odd and silly question.. Are you using the same black image on both devices for comparison? It's possible if you aren't that the black screen on the mini is actually not the same color/shade of black as the device on the left of your picture.

Kallum.

Tuccs14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
Odd and silly question.. Are you using the same black image on both devices for comparison? It's possible if you aren't that the black screen on the mini is actually not the same color/shade of black as the device on the left of your picture.

Kallum.

Yes, exact same video, same brightness, no night shift, True Tone on. I just picked up another one from a different Apple store, this time silver not space grey, same thing, not as bad though. My significant other picked one up last night, gold, same thing. Just think it’s how they’re made...

Reactions: Kal-037

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Yes, exact same video, same brightness, no night shift, True Tone on. I just picked up another one from a different Apple store, this time silver not space grey, same thing, not as bad though. My significant other picked one up last night, gold, same thing. Just think it’s how they’re made...
Hmmm... I know some of my past iPads had this too (not quite as bad,) I wish they would use the "Liquid Retina" on all iPads as I found there is no light-bleed *(knock on wood) with the 11" and 12.9" (out of the 20 I've seen and the 6 I've had.)
Then again, I still like the display on the mini 5, it would just be nice for all their products to share the same higher quality LCD screens as their Pro line iPads.

Kallum.

Stoianski

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2019
I returned the mini to Best Buy and went to the local Apple store to pick one up, same issue...not sure what to do now.

I have a very old iPad3 and recently bought (in Europe) mini5. The first thing my wife said when she saw the screen (turned off) that it has a magenda tint. I thought this is normal and how all new laminated iPad look like. In fact I like the colors more on the mini. Did the black test and mine looks exactly like yours. There is 2-3 small bleeds on one of the side and I saw a burnt pixel.

Bun none of those things are visible under normal view. Without true tone the screen white balance is only slightly warmer than on my old iPad3. But the old iPad is gray on your black screen test (in full brightness).

It seems to me that is manufactured like this, but there might be variability. Is the iPad Air 3 the same?

Tuccs14, how is your screen in real use? I don't see the black with a magenda tint under real conditions and I actually like the slightly warm white balance.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Can we dub this quality control flop, magentagate? Has a nice ring to it

I feel bad for people with bum displays tho. Swap er out

merrygoround

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019
have the same issue.. hoping the swap isn't the same...or having to wait months until they get it together
[doublepost=1556057132][/doublepost]
You are free to believe what you'd like.

In the lead-up to an announcement there are manufacturing pressures to build up inventory. Depending upon the aggressiveness of the schedule, spec tolerances can be temporarily raised to meet the quotas. That can result in things like "light bleed", slightly misaligned components, etc.

Once the initial batch of units has been manufactured, the tolerances return to normal. This is why there is always a flurry of reports about manufacturing defects in the first month or so after a release, but you don't see the same rate for the remainder of the product's life (even when normalized for expected sell rates)

Except for the iPad 1 (which I pre-ordered on day-1), I generally wait 3-5 months after ANY electronic device is released and I've never encountered any of the issues that are reported here.

This is the advice I gave, people are free to take it , consider it, or discard it. The OP just posted that they returned the first unit for a second and the second unit has the same issue. I'll leave it at that.

I thought about doing this initially but i figured since not much as changed , quality control wouldn't be an issue...i guess i was wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.