Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Tbh you need to verify the colour range of the file, I was under the impression the 5 had a wider colour gamut displayable, if so its perfectly possible the video has a wider gamut than the iPad can display, but the 5 displays it correctly.

If a true fault the 5 should show a magenta cast on a white display (ie the Hello screen on a new one), was that the case?

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I have now had 3 units and all had magenta screen to some extent when on a dark screen in pitch black room and brightness on full. 2 of the units also had dead pixels. The 3rd one seems fine and had the same magenta screen as the others but nothing bad and only shows in unrealistic conditions. Also to note is my iPad mini 4 has the same megenta issues. I now firmly believe that it’s NOT an issue.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I was outside of my returns period before I realised that this test involves a straightforward black video from YouTube at full brightness in a black room. On running the test mine does have some magenta, but only to one side of the screen. It seems that some are fortunate and have none, but that there is a lot worse. I have no dead pixels and the screen seems evenly lit in normal use.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
You know since most of the audience in this thread are in the U.S and since you guys have the privilege and are born with Lucky Stars and Since Apple is an American Company you guys are enjoying the fruits of it. But if you were to go with this issue to any other country in Asia or anywhere else where Apple operates but is considered an foreign Company, Apple in that country would rubbish this whole concept of Magenta Screen, Pink Screen and what Not. Apple's simple argument would have been when you lit the screen (Not dim it or black it out) is it giving you any problem, any display issues no right ? So nothing to worry !!

Now people here because of the no questions asked, 14 Days return period (Much abused in the U.S) and Many Parts of Europe, People are taking the abuse level to altogether new level !! Lucky You Guys ! I wish I had been in such a Wonderland Country !!

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I tried the test and I did see magenta. However, the amount seen vastly changes when the screen is titled in any way. With a slight tilt of the screen, hardly any was seen. In normal use, I don't see any magenta. As such, I am not concerned. I don't think it is a defect.

Often times a lot of people will test their Apple product under settings and conditions they wouldn't normally use, and then complain to Apple about a perceived problem. they wouldn't even have seen in the first place, if they hadn't done a test that doesn't use normal viewing and usage on a day to day basis. And before you know it, more and more people on MR become focused on looking for a problem that isn't there and returning iPad after iPad.

If you don't see it under normal usage, don't worry about it. Use and enjoy the mini.

Last edited:

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I tried the test and I did see magenta. However, the amount seen vastly changes when the screen is titled in any way. With a slight tilt of the screen, hardly any was seen. In normal use, I don't see any magenta. As such, I am not concerned. I don't think it is a defect.

Often times a lot of people will test their Apple product under settings and conditions they wouldn't normally use, and then complain to Apple about a perceived problem. they wouldn't even have seen in the first place, if they hadn't done a test that doesn't usage normal viewing and usage on a day to day basis. And before you know it, more and more people on MR become focused on looking for a problem that isn't there and returning iPad after iPad.

If you don't see it under normal usage, don't worry about it. Use and enjoy the mini.

This!

merrygoround

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019
Better test would be to see what the white balance is like, is its white, white?

Thats where I first noticed the problem right out the box,it bothered me immediately and then i ran the black test
[doublepost=1556408061][/doublepost]
You know since most of the audience in this thread are in the U.S and since you guys have the privilege and are born with Lucky Stars and Since Apple is an American Company you guys are enjoying the fruits of it. But if you were to go with this issue to any other country in Asia or anywhere else where Apple operates but is considered an foreign Company, Apple in that country would rubbish this whole concept of Magenta Screen, Pink Screen and what Not. Apple's simple argument would have been when you lit the screen (Not dim it or black it out) is it giving you any problem, any display issues no right ? So nothing to worry !!

Now people here because of the no questions asked, 14 Days return period (Much abused in the U.S) and Many Parts of Europe, People are taking the abuse level to altogether new level !! Lucky You Guys ! I wish I had been in such a Wonderland Country !!

well just because its our company doesn't mean we should accept a $450 + USD that we have an issue with..for that kinda money it should be perfect or at least to our liking

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
well just because its our company doesn't mean we should accept a $450 + USD that we have an issue with..for that kinda money it should be perfect or at least to our liking

Thats what I am saying, If you are born in the U.S Lucky You ! You have struck Gold !! You can abuse this 14 days return Policy as much as you want. What can one do anything about it ? But all I am saying is, had you been in any other Part of the world and if you went to Apple with this kind of issue, I bet you would have had an experience to remember. Saying this from Personal Experience.

Last edited:

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Mine has a magenta shift, depending on the angle, and only on black backgrounds. Not a concern for me at all. The rest of the display is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.