Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Does the iPad mini 6 have almost the same real estate as the iPhone 13 Max when streaming videos?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
The biggest things IMO would be the quad speakers on the IPP (which if you mostly would use earbuds/headphones is a mute point) as also stated in the earlier posts the display would be similar besides the brightness, the mini doesn't get that bright and when it does get as bright as possible the battery life falls hard (again if you mostly watch indoors this is a rather mute point).Both chips are relatively new and I imagine will have similar lifespans for support between the M1 and A15 (A15 being newer). I saw someone mention the "jelly effect" but if you are just using it for media consumption mostly you will not notice it unless you are scrolling through YouTube playlists fast, but casually scrolling to find what Netflix/YouTube video you want to watch nah.

I think it will ultimately come down to screen size vs. weight. If the device you want is truly mainly just for media consumption and you are not needing to hold it all the time then go for the 11" if it is a device that you will more than likely hold like on a train, bus, or similar then go for the mini.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have both, and neither are great. The blacks are grays. Lower your expectations.

They are OK for typical YouTube videos, but for movies are very mediocre.

Last edited:

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
Bigger models with more screen estate work better for me for media consumption.
For me personally I prefer the 11” over the 12.9”, the latter which I ended up selling shortly after.
I had the 11” since 2018, so maybe I just got used to to that screen.

But I am actually curious about the mini for media consumption as well, I just don’t like that it lacks Face ID, and the bezels seem huge.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Mini is good for short videos and couch duty since you’ll need to hold it close and it has the smallest black bars. If you’re planning on watching movies then you’ll need something bigger and depending on how far you place it away will determine the screen size you’ll need. The 12.9” has huge black bars so you’ve been warned.

It might be an unpopular opinion but iPads kind of suck for movies due to the aspect ratio.
Teeny tiny screens kind suck for watching movies, period, brand doesn't matter. Give me a large screen TV any day

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The question is highly subjective so I don't have an answer but I want to call out this statement. Why would the M1 have longer support than the A15 in the mini 6? The A15 is newer than the M1.

Most drops are due to RAM, the A15 Mini 6 has 4GB and the M1 Air 5 8GB. The Pros would expect longer support and the M1 is a Pro chip. The A15 might go into the base iPad in time, but the clock will be ticking from that point - and the variant in the Mini is downclocked.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I have both, my mini 6 collects dust. iPad Pro 11” is much more fun for media consumption (my opinion).

The only benefit of the mini is the size when out and about, but I never bring it anywhere like I thought I would.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Most drops are due to RAM, the A15 Mini 6 has 4GB and the M1 Air 5 8GB. The Pros would expect longer support and the M1 is a Pro chip. The A15 might go into the base iPad in time, but the clock will be ticking from that point - and the variant in the Mini is downclocked.
Good point on the RAM. I forgot about that. I doubt the slight down clocking will have any affect. The mini 6 is still wicked fast. Its almost as fast on single core as the M1 (about 10% slower).

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does the iPad mini 6 have almost the same real estate as the iPhone 13 Max when streaming videos?
Here is a 16:9 video displayed normally on each device.

hbsl2zpm9jo71.png

Last edited:

MrSky

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
The iPad pro also have a much better wifi antenna so if you plan to stream videos , the ipad pro will have a lower chances of pause or drop connections.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I forgot to mention but its mainly for bed/couch purpose
I dont understand why you guys saying Mini does have less black borders?
Its same aspect ratio right?

I have an iPad mini 6 and a regular iPad (6th Gen). I keep the larger iPad to use as a 2nd screen to watch sports. Sometimes there are 2 games I want to watch at the same time or have baseball on passively while I watch other things on the main TV. It pretty much just stays by the couch propped up on its stand.

The iPad Mini travels with me on the subway, planes, etc. I use it for notes, reading, light email/work when I[m not carrying my MBP. I find I like it better in bed as well over the larger iPad but I have small hands so it's just easier for me to hold in bed.

So it really depends on your personal use case and what you're comfortable holding. That said, if it's just media consumption, why do you need a Pro? Is it for the size? You could get an Air for a compromise in the middle size.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

The mini is still bigger.
The iPad pro also have a much better wifi antenna so if you plan to stream videos , the ipad pro will have a lower chances of pause or drop connections.

I don't have a pro so can't compare signals but I don't have that issue on my Mini at all. It's pretty fast and the connection is quite solid even in tricky areas of my apartment.

Last edited:

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I have an iPad mini 6 and a regular iPad (6th Gen). I keep the larger iPad to use as a 2nd screen to watch sports. Sometimes there are 2 games I want to watch at the same time or have baseball on passively while I watch other things on the main TV. It pretty much just stays by the couch propped up on its stand.

The iPad Mini travels with me on the subway, planes, etc. I use it for notes, reading, light email/work when I[m not carrying my MBP. I find I like it better in bed as well over the larger iPad but I have small hands so it's just easier for me to hold in bed.

So it really depends on your personal use case and what you're comfortable holding. That said, if it's just media consumption, why do you need a Pro? Is it for the size? You could get an Air for a compromise in the middle size.
Did you meet any trouble for watching sports on iPad Mini 6?
Cant see the ball (Tennis, Soccer) on such tiny display (former iPad Mini 4/5)?
Maybe its same for bigger iPad (Pro) as well?

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Did you meet any trouble for watching sports on iPad Mini 6?
Cant see the ball (Tennis, Soccer) on such tiny display (former iPad Mini 4/5)?
Maybe its same for bigger iPad (Pro) as well?

On the Mini, I would only "watch" sports on it in a passive way or when I'm traveling. I usually watch it on TV or the big iPad otherwise. I do feel it's too small to be your primary ay to watch anything, especially sports with a ball ;)

If the iPad is going to be your primary way to watch or consume TV, movies, sports etc - you should get the biggest iPad available. For me, they are secondary consumption devices for TV, movies & sports.

Last edited:

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
I had a Pro 12.9" that I was using strictly for media consumption. Sitting in bed, sitting in the recliner, sitting at a desk, watching Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. I found that after long periods of time, the 12.9" iPad was too heavy and bulky to hold.

I've since sold it and bought a Mini 6 and it has been perfect for what I use it for. It's much easier to hold and the screen real estate is still better than my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Yeah, the jelly scrolling is a disconcerting though and that's my biggest gripe with it.

Reactions: GhostOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.