Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Went through my usual break in process and can still note a difference in sound output at max volume, although it is not very significant.

I'll setup a measurement test this weekend to get some dB numbers.

I suspect the difference results from the difference in how the 9.7's speakers were screwed/glued in versus the 10.5's speakersets and what's surrounding them. How much damping vs. conduction material.

On the positive side, there's no trace of the annoying to some vibration issues of the Air 2.

So it's a balancing act. With both the 9.7 and the 10.5, when I've got the volume at "10", on some music I find myself wishing for an "11"... maybe an "11.2" on the 10.5.

volume-11.jpg

I think you'll more than make up for the difference by using a harder plastic back on the 10.5 instead of the hefty silicon back for the 9.7.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
I think this is a bug with iOS on the iPad, because my AirPods have the same weird volume curve when used on my iPad vs iPhone. It's almost like the notches are exponentially set on iPad and linear on iPhone.

KnightFall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
US
I think this is a bug with iOS on the iPad, because my AirPods have the same weird volume curve when used on my iPad vs iPhone. It's almost like the notches are exponentially set on iPad and linear on iPhone.
Really? How weird. I don't have airpods, so I cant test it for myself

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
This may be a "feature" however that may be interpreted. I've found it to be a good thing. Max volume seems about the same, while the lower volumes definitely have smaller steps between blips. Seems like an exponential type scale curve to the controls instead of a linear one.

Have to admit, I thought there was something wrong with mine as well at first, but am very happy with the full volume level and the sound quality is excellent. There is some device "hum" when I hold it at the higher volume levels, but nothing like the Air 2 or even the 9.7" Pro, and the sound quality itself is pretty much equal with the 12.9".

I usually use the opening sequence of the original Cars movie from Pixar to test the sound quality on my iOS devices, and it sounds excellent on this new 10.5" form factor.

MBC1965

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2017
I have an iPad Pro 10.5". I noticed that the speakers aren't super loud. They seem slightly quieter than my old 9.7 pro.
For the 1st 1/3 of the volume meter, its very quiet, almost as if no sound is coming out until 3 or 4 bars. It gets loud in the last 1/3.

Also the keyboard clicks aren't very loud. (I have sound effects turned all the way up)

Has anybody else noticed this?
I am having the same issue. I still have my 9.7 pro and compared the two and the 10.5 is significantly quieter especially under 50% volume.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I wasn’t paying too much attention but I can’t tell if there is a difference on the iOS 11 public beta

joshuad11

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2017
Here are some other threads Ive come across with people having similar issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/6h6mqi/ipad_pro_105_speakers_vs_97/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/6h3vfm/ipad_pro_105_volume_level/
[doublepost=1497464718][/doublepost]

Thanks for the reply! Yes that is exactly how mine is, it is not increasing in a linear fashion.
Are your keyboard clicks also relatively quiet? I can hear the backspace clearly, but the key clicks themselves don't make much noise.
Yes, the keyboard is so quiet!

aaron777

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
philippines
I have an iPad Pro 10.5". I noticed that the speakers aren't super loud. They seem slightly quieter than my old 9.7 pro.
For the 1st 1/3 of the volume meter, its very quiet, almost as if no sound is coming out until 3 or 4 bars. It gets loud in the last 1/3.

Also the keyboard clicks aren't very loud. (I have sound effects turned all the way up)

hi there sir..

just want to ask if your ipad 10.5 is fix now or still the same.?
can u update me if anything good happened i experiencing same issues on my new ipad too..

Nodens

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
I'm also experiencing the same behavior with iPad Pro 10.5

I find the volume to be relatively low.

aaron777

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
philippines
iOS 10, the one that shipped on it

hi all..

there is available update 10.3.3 now...
and there is something they called core audio update>>

CoreAudio

Available for: iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, and iPod touch 6th generation

Impact: Processing a maliciously crafted movie file may lead to arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved bounds checking.

CVE-2017-7008: Yangkang (@dnpushme) of Qihoo 360 Qex Team

does anyone here experience same issue after the upadate..? or its all fix in that update...

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I've got both, 9.7" & 10.5" - both LTE models
9.7" is in the Apple silicon back case, Smart Cover
10.5" is naked on back, Smart Cover on front

I've also got the AirPods and the OP's correct about the linearity of the volume control on the new iPads. Lower is much lower but significantly easier than the 9.7" to find a lower dB level so as not to disturb those around you. Same on AirPods, as I'm able to much more easily control lower volume output (10.5") than the iPad 9.7"
I've also found the 10.5" to be louder at its '10' mark than its smaller sibling, as well, with what seems to be less distortion and more of a low end/octave presence which in effect, rounds out the sound on the larger model to be more 'full' than the more treble heavy 9.7" ... and being lower frequencies take more power to present than mids and highs - I think the sonic signature of the 10.5" model is a feature... someone mentioned above ...as you have more control on the low volume registers and better, fuller sound than the earlier, smaller Pros.
Just MHO. I am an audio engineer and have several dB meters, if I remember I'll take readings this weekend of the 9.7", 10.5" and 12.9" (1st gen) iPads and report their results - w/video if possible. I've found the same with the 10.5" as I did with the original 12.9" models... with the USB 3.0 protocol, and the power delivery back to the dongle.. the iPad to camera 'connection dongle' with USB feminine to plug cam in to offload pics also works both with external DACs and mics. The DAC is used to completely isolate any internal noise within the iPad - w/bit perfect stream of audio that's decoded from digital to analog externally. Allowing you to hook into sound rigs and 'pro' rigs for live events and source/recording on the iPads. We've completely lost the iMacs and MacBook Pros of yesterday and replaced with the original 12:9" iPads. I've got four more of the new ones on order for the same duties but they're not here yet
More resilient, always connected and phenomenal energy storage vs the laptops and, obviously, the iMacs. They're also well supported with software/apps in my industry, giving us a larger, more reliable and easier to use toolbox than any time in history ...I've been doing sound, live and in studio for three decades.
Gone the days you had to say 'we don't have that song'... as you've got em all on some pound device that lasts 10 hours off 110v! The ability to 'mix' or EQ the venue via wifi or Bluetooth and and iPad -- allows me to walk the venue and set RTA mics anywhere for analysis and the best sound for that area.
It's unbelievable how far we've come and I, for one, am very happy to see the headphone jacks go, and the USB C/Lightning External DACs being supported and providing significantly better sound - as for the quad speaker systems in the three iPads - they're all fantastic compared with older, two speaker models. Just as the iPhone 7's dual speaker changes the iPhone, so does the iPad's 4-speaker implementation.
And no, Apple didn't 'skimp' on their iPads this time around. Not on any corners or components. They've aced the tablet with these guys.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I also found my 9.7 to be louder than 10.5 at max volume and found this thread.

I've also got the AirPods and the OP's correct about the linearity of the volume control on the new iPads. Lower is much lower but significantly easier than the 9.7" to find a lower dB level so as not to disturb those around you. Same on AirPods, as I'm able to much more easily control lower volume output (10.5") than the iPad 9.7"

I've also found the 10.5" to be louder at its '10' mark than its smaller sibling, as well, with what seems to be less distortion and more of a low end/octave presence which in effect, rounds out the sound on the larger model to be more 'full' than the more treble heavy 9.7" ... and being lower frequencies take more power to present than mids and highs - I think the sonic signature of the 10.5" model is a feature... someone mentioned above ...as you have more control on the low volume registers and better, fuller sound than the earlier, smaller Pros.

Just MHO. I am an audio engineer and have several dB meters, if I remember I'll take readings this weekend of the 9.7", 10.5" and 12.9" (1st gen) iPads and report their results - w/video if possible. I've found the same with the 10.5" as I did with the original 12.9" models... with the USB 3.0 protocol, and the power delivery back to the dongle.. the iPad to camera 'connection dongle' with USB feminine to plug cam in to offload pics also works both with external DACs and mics.

The DAC is used to completely isolate any internal noise within the iPad - w/bit perfect stream of audio that's decoded from digital to analog externally. Allowing you to hook into sound rigs and 'pro' rigs for live events and source/recording on the iPads. We've completely lost the iMacs and MacBook Pros of yesterday and replaced with the original 12:9" iPads. I've got four more of the new ones on order for the same duties but they're not here yet

More resilient, always connected and phenomenal energy storage vs the laptops and, obviously, the iMacs. They're also well supported with software/apps in my industry, giving us a larger, more reliable and easier to use toolbox than any time in history ...I've been doing sound, live and in studio for three decades.

Gone the days you had to say 'we don't have that song'... as you've got em all on some pound device that lasts 10 hours off 110v! The ability to 'mix' or EQ the venue via wifi or Bluetooth and and iPad -- allows me to walk the venue and set RTA mics anywhere for analysis and the best sound for that area.

It's unbelievable how far we've come and I, for one, am very happy to see the headphone jacks go, and the USB C/Lightning External DACs being supported and providing significantly better sound - as for the quad speaker systems in the three iPads - they're all fantastic compared with older, two speaker models. Just as the iPhone 7's dual speaker changes the iPhone, so does the iPad's 4-speaker implementation.

And no, Apple didn't 'skimp' on their iPads this time around. Not on any corners or components. They've aced the tablet with these guys.

Sorry it's very hard to read what you typed, took me some time. I took the liberty to paragraph it for others interested to read.

I think I agree with the bolder parts. I might find my 9.7 "louder" due to it being more treble-heavy. If I am at a distance, treble is more important as I can hear the vocals louder.

I definitely find my 10.5 softer at max volume for vocals and movies speech. I could hear the actors more clearly on my 9.7 at max volume.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

aaron777

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
philippines

Just MHO. I am an audio engineer and have several dB meters, if I remember I'll take readings this weekend of the 9.7", 10.5" and 12.9" (1st gen) iPads and report their results - w/video if possible. I've found the same with the 10.5" as I did with the original 12.9" models... with the USB 3.0 protocol, and the power delivery back to the dongle.. the iPad to camera 'connection dongle' with USB feminine to plug cam in to offload pics also works both with external DACs and mics. The DAC is used to completely isolate any internal noise within the iPad - w/bit perfect stream of audio that's decoded from digital to analog externally. Allowing you to hook into sound rigs and 'pro' rigs for live events and source/recording on the iPads. We've completely lost the iMacs and MacBook Pros of yesterday and replaced with the original 12:9" iPads. I've got four more of the new ones on order for the same duties but they're not here yet

hi sir..,..

i'm sorry for my ignorance about your reply here...
i'm not that good in deep english hehehe..
so basically your saying the lower volume in ipad pro 10.5 is a feature to the model.?.
so that you can hear the sound correctly and it will sound so great than other models.?

in the upper side of this thread i posted about apple's ios update 10.3.3 regarding the audio core..
did'nt even know that they can adjust the volume of the sound in just doing ios update..since i update of 10.3.3
it seems to me that my sound now is more great compared when i got this new ipad 10.5...

and if i may ask when you test the ipad's and comparing them your using newest ios update 10.3.3..?

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I’m not really sure now if it’s quieter or not. The 10.5 seems plenty loud, its possible it was an iOS thing that was fixed.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I think the speakers are fine. Loud enough without distortion. As a straw test, I used the "Decibel 10" app on my iPhone to measure the dB of my iPad Pro 10.5 on full volume whilst playing "Evanescence - Bring me to life". The average was 79 and the max was 85.7. I pointed the microphone of my iPhone at the centre of my iPad and held it about 6" away whilst recording.

lancehol

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
Have the same issue on a 6 week old iPad Pro 10.5. My 9.7 would blast the 10.5 is really quiet. I have long used volume booster software on my MacBook Pro (Audio Hijack). Not sure if there is a work around on this iPad issue though. Disappointed.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I think not every unit is the same in terms of loudness. My original 10.5 Pros were very loud. But my replacement units are much quieter.

PamB22615

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018

I’ve been having the same exact problem. It started after the last update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.