Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Long time reader but I don’t create many threads. I recognise this isn’t the best one but I just wanted to say that having used Apple devices for many, many years, the iPad Pro 11” is the best Apple device I’ve owned.

It’s almost perfect. It’s incredible.

For reference, I have a MBP, iPhone, TV, Watch, and have owned an Air, iMac, iPod, Macintosh and more.

I’ve owned it for months but I still get so impressed at how Apple have gone above and beyond with this device. It’s almost like they overpowered it and set it up to last 5-7 years.

The design and construction is also perfect. It’s a joy to hold.

The speed, smoothness and display are all so, so good.

I love it and just wanted to share :)

That’s all

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Long time reader but I don’t create many threads. I recognise this isn’t the best one but I just wanted to say that having used Apple devices for many, many years, the iPad Pro 11” is the best Apple device I’ve owned.

For reference, I have a MBP, iPhone, TV, Watch, and have owned an Air, iMac, iPod, Macintosh and more.

I’ve owned it for months but I still get so impressed at how Apple have gone above and beyond with this device. It’s almost like they overpowered it and set it up to last 5-7 years.

That’s all
Do you use it with a keyboard and a mouse?

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Most days I feel the same way. I still get some weird keyboard and display formatting glitches, but it is great. If Apple ports Logic (or someone else creates a DAW that fits my needs) I may phase out my 2013 Mac Pro.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It’s pretty awesome isn’t it. I‘ve had the 11” for about a year now and it’s quickly become my favorite device. I literally use it 8-10 hours a day. Mostly notetaking for work followed by general computing tasks everywhere else. Apple nailed the hardware with this one.

The game changer for me is the magnetic pencil. I’ve never been into pen computing - my handwriting sucks and I can’t draw at all. But handwriting still trumps typing for getting thoughts down quickly - so now I’m fully digital. Reviewing and marking up PDFs and journal papers is actually fun.

I am ambivalent about using a keyboard because I still need a computer for more heavyweight computing. Managing multiple browser tabs, Word documents, spreadsheets, slides and PDFs is still much easier with a standard PC. It will be interesting to see how iPadOS evolves with time - especially now Apple allows a mouse.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I agree! I have a 2018 11“ iPad Pro and it is, by far, the best Apple product I have own. It’s the perfect form factor (for me, I know there’s a 12.9”, but I love the compact size of the 11”) and works well with the keyboard folio case that I have with it. It does all I need it to, and more! It’s really a revolutionary device and the best money I’ve spent!

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
The iPad Pro is an amazing device and my workflow has been about 99% iPad for the last few years. But as much as I love the hardware, Apple really dropped the ball pretty badly with software. But I think this is the year Apple steps up which is why I moved to a 12.9 and got a Magic Keyboard. My fingers are crossed because I really dont ever want to buy a MacBook again.

Reactions: Precursor

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It’s pretty awesome isn’t it. I‘ve had the 11” for about a year now and it’s quickly become my favorite device. I literally use it 8-10 hours a day. Mostly notetaking for work followed by general computing tasks everywhere else. Apple nailed the hardware with this one.

The game changer for me is the magnetic pencil. I’ve never been into pen computing - my handwriting sucks and I can’t draw at all. But handwriting still trumps typing for getting thoughts down quickly - so now I’m fully digital. Reviewing and marking up PDFs and journal papers is actually fun.

I am ambivalent about using a keyboard because I still need a computer for more heavyweight computing. Managing multiple browser tabs, Word documents, spreadsheets, slides and PDFs is still much easier with a standard PC. It will be interesting to see how iPadOS evolves with time - especially now Apple allows a mouse.
What has mouse support to do with iPad OS evolving?

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I agree. I now have the same Pro as you do and it is truly amazing in every aspect. However, before I had the 2018 iPad and earlier the Mini 2 and my opinion is that iPad is the best Apple device in general, or at least the most polished. Somehow for me it has always been almost hassle-free to use (and for sure it has had the least bugs of all Apple devices I have ever owned), because... it just worked - and this has not always been the case many times with my iPhones, MacBook or Apple Watch when I still had one.

sunsetrunner

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
CA
As an avid Macintosh user since ‘94, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve used all sorts of Apple devices for the last 26 years and kept all of them up-to-date with every new generation. But using thus iPad Pro 11 feels like reaching a nirvana-like state in personal computing.

I currently own iPhones, Apple TV, Apple Watch, AirPods, AirPort routers, iPad Pro, and a Mac mini. iPad Pro is the most special one. I loved it so much, I phased out my other -expensive- Macs and after using my first 11” 64GB iPad Pro for a year, I upgraded it to another 256GB model. I still keep my 2014 Mac mini just the courtesy of my respect to macOS. Actually iPad Pro is enough for all my computing needs: Content consumption, editing photos&videos, smart home&NAS management, e-mailing, office apps, drawing, etc. iPad Pro is just the best. Period (never buying Mac laptops again).

But honestly, I’m not sold on all that hype for trackpad/mouse support on iPadOS. Using iPad Pro as a touch screen device is a joy. At best I just use Apple Pencil for precise tasks. Definitely not interested in using a trackpad or mouse on iPadOS. That only works on macOS for me.

I’m also not attracted to 2020 iPad Pro model. I’ll keep my 2018 model until the real next generation comes out.

Reactions: Prpolo

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Agree with this too. It’s just such a great combination of design and functionality. There’s an intangible to it that just makes it a joy to use. Not something you get with the MacBook Pro, which is my most useful device, but probably the least joyful device to use. And I think this is why people try so hard to use their iPads as a computer replacement.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

That’s all
Wait til you try the 2022 iPad Pro

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Agree with this too. It’s just such a great combination of design and functionality. There’s an intangible to it that just makes it a joy to use. Not something you get with the MacBook Pro, which is my most useful device, but probably the least joyful device to use. And I think this is why people try so hard to use their iPads as a computer replacement.

I agree - the iPad has been my thing since the first version came out years ago. Theres just something about it. Im still happy with my current 6th gen but fairly soon Im looking to upgrade and these new models have me excited. I have to admit though - I have NO desire to use a mouse or keyboard with it. Im old school. Touch only for me. I still feel that a tablet is a tablet and a laptop or PC is a laptop or a PC. No crossing over for me. They are separate and I want my tablets to stay hardcore tablets! Touch or bust!!! On screen keyboard an thats it! :)

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
What has mouse support to do with iPad OS evolving?

Pretty much everything. By adding mouse support, Apple has effectively conceded that there are certain computing tasks that are better accomplished that way. By making the Magic Keyboard, they are enabling that further by suggesting that to get full use of the iPad Pro in certain situations, it's good to be able to have mouse/trackpad available.

My guess is that iPadOS will continue to evolve with the assumption that mouse and keyboard will be available. Don't get me wrong, it will still be 'touch first' because it is an iPad, however, knowing that many users will have access to a mouse/keyboard much of the time, they will likely build in more features that make use of them.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Most days I feel the same way. I still get some weird keyboard and display formatting glitches, but it is great. If Apple ports Logic (or someone else creates a DAW that fits my needs) I may phase out my 2013 Mac Pro.

Depends on what you’re doing but take a look at Auria. Pretty robust multitrack DAW. I use it primarily to record myself for voiceovers when I’m away from my studio and it’s great for that.

JLOAKS

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2016
I own every major Apple product and I can easily say the iPad Pro and Apple Watch are my favorite devices from the company, followed by the AirPods Pro which compliment both devices beautifully. Now I’m just waiting for Apple‘s AR glasses to complete the trifecta.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Depends on what you’re doing but take a look at Auria. Pretty robust multitrack DAW. I use it primarily to record myself for voiceovers when I’m away from my studio and it’s great for that.
I’m also a voice over artist but I do mostly long form stuff. My (albeit brief) memory of Auria is that it couldn’t do punch-and-roll. The only DAW I found that did is no longer supported and was buggy-as . . . Well, it was bad. Good to hear Auria work for your VO needs. Perhaps I’ll give it another try.

Reactions: AE_stc

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
I’m also a voice over artist but I do mostly long form stuff. My (albeit brief) memory of Auria is that it couldn’t do punch-and-roll. The only DAW I found that did is no longer supported and was buggy-as . . . Well, it was bad. Good to hear Auria work for your VO needs. Perhaps I’ll give it another try.

Nice always good to see a fellow VO. Yeah I don’t need punch and roll, my stuff is mostly promo type. Short scripts etc. Or auditions which are also rarely long. But if you need it I could see it being a dealbreaker

You could take another look you can do quite a lot with it, it’s very smooth and is starting to support VST type plugins. Fab filter makes stuff for it for example. I’ve heard only one guy is the developer, there’s no team or whatever so you could maybe even email him and ask about it

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Just purchased it and its amazing but cleaned it with a cloth and heard these cracking noises as I cleaned the screen. Also apply any form of pressure and crack, crack, crack noises. Kind of couldn't be bothered going back to Apple but may hit my OCD.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I agree with the OP. I’ve used Apple products for work and other uses since 1991. The 11-inch IPP is in the worthy tradition of the PowerBook 100 — with which Apple first entered the laptop market — and the 11-inch MacBook Air. Those two devices and the 11-inch IPP are, in my opinion, the best Apple computers I have ever owned relative to the state of the markets in which they were sold. And I have owned a lot of Apple computers over the years. I use my IPP for serious productivity work, connecting it to an external monitor and keyboard/trackpad at my desk and enjoying its very portable form factor elsewhere. I was a huge Mac fan for many years, but now use my IPP, iPhone 11 Pro, and AW as my only three devices for work and play. I know the 12.9 works better for many people. I have tried it more than once, but keep coming back to the 11. It’s great that both are offered.

KFridman

macrumors regular
May 8, 2020
New York State
This is all good to hear. I have been close to getting a new MBA. Was going back and forth on which configuration for the past few weeks. I have an iPad Air 2, an iPhone 6s, and an iMac. Then, yesterday, the iPad died. Actually, I killed it. Involuntarily, but my fault nonetheless. I'm not buying both at the same time. So now I must decide. Normally I'd go for another IPA. The IPP is probably way more than I need. But, i really like the amount of screen they created by removing the button. My wife has an iPhone 11 and I kind of like the face ID. I could also get a keyboard for it. If I did that I think I'd really be ditching the idea of a MBA. Decision time.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I tend to agree. The iPad Pro is my go-to device now at home and it has replaced my Macbook Pro and iPhone for most tasks. The OS is just so much more fluid than MacOS which stutters so much and has horrible iCloud Drive sync issues on Catalina.

The iPad Pro just works like a modern computer should and gets out of the way. I’m looking forward to iOS 14 and see how the iPad closes the gap between the Mac even more.

Reactions: el beisbol

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
Same here - definitely my favourite device and I still admire its aesthetics, especially when I use it outside of its Smart Keyboard Folio!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Another Same Here! I got my iPad Pro 11 (2018) in February of this year. It is my most used device and by far my most favorite device. I’m using this iPad now to type out this post via a USB C Mechanical Keyboard (Durgod) with a Bluetooth Mouse (Logitech MS Anywhere 2s) - using the Apple case to magnetically hold itself to a paper holder so it is closer to eye height.

I’ve read 4 books on this thing already. Absolutely love the screen. I slapped on an iCarez Matte screen protector because I prefer the feel of it with the Apple Pencil - gets rid of a lot of glare too.

It is a great device - my most used Apple Device —- and I have a MBP 2017.

I am looking to get at least 3 heavy years of usage out of it before I even think of upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.