Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, the hardware is certainly wonderful.

However, I'm still in a situation where 95% of what I do doesn't work on an iPad or doesn't work without major workarounds.

It's really annoying, I always want to use my iPad but I always have to use my computer.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I tend to agree. The iPad Pro is my go-to device now at home and it has replaced my Macbook Pro and iPhone for most tasks. The OS is just so much more fluid than MacOS which stutters so much and has horrible iCloud Drive sync issues on Catalina.

The iPad Pro just works like a modern computer should and gets out of the way. I’m looking forward to iOS 14 and see how the iPad closes the gap between the Mac even more.

I agree almost entirely with this. It's odd, before being forced to work from home a lot more, I would've trotted out the old cliche and said that the iPad is only really a consumption tool with limited ability for creation. But every time I need to do something simple, which is 80% of the time, I found myself reaching for my iPad first.

I was on my Mac the other day and decided not to open an app as I didn't want to deal with the popups and performance hit. I don't have a particularly powerful Mac, but it's not that old either (2016 13" MBP), and it was a sudden realisation that I would actively avoid doing some things in my workflow as it led to fewer headaches. On my iPad, I wouldn't bat an eyelid opening another app as everything is so fluid.

I still love macOS, but its complexity does mean there are way more bugs and slowdowns that iOS just doesn't experience. For example, I get an odd beachball and hang when going into Desktop and Screensaver preferences. One folder in iCloud Drive just doesn't sync to my Mac, but does on my iPhone and iPad. Third-party apps like OneDrive can grind the whole system to a halt which just isn't possible on iOS. And it's topped off by Catalina asking for permission to do any tiny task.

It's been such a revelation that I sold my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (which I'd said many times on this forum was by far good enough for my current needs...) and ordered a 11" and a new Magic Keyboard. I can see this being the computer I carry with me most often. When my MBP needs replacing, I may consider a Mac mini instead of an expensive laptop and just remote in from my iPad in case I needed to do any heavier lifting.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Since the magic keyboard, I now use my iPad for basically every typing related task - notes, emails, slack, messages. I’ve even started using Screens for remote desktop and doing some simple development work remotely on my mac mini. Anything longer than a few paragraphs i’ll send to my iPad to read.

I really want Xcode for iPad and much better external display support. I’ve tried iPad at my desk with my 4k monitor...but the iPad just outputs a fuzzy 1x image with horizontal and vertical bars.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Since the magic keyboard, I now use my iPad for basically every typing related task - notes, emails, slack, messages. I’ve even started using Screens for remote desktop and doing some simple development work remotely on my mac mini. Anything longer than a few paragraphs i’ll send to my iPad to read.

I really want Xcode for iPad and much better external display support. I’ve tried iPad at my desk with my 4k monitor...but the iPad just outputs a fuzzy 1x image with horizontal and vertical bars.
Xcode would be a game changer, even if it was a slightly watered down version (can see it being for SwiftUI development only). I'm sure proper external monitor support is coming in iPadOS 14, as it seems like the final piece of the cursor/keyboard/screen jigsaw puzzle.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've said this a lot in many other threads, but the iPad Pro is the computer I dreamed about having as a kid. The 2018 and 2020 models have especially impressed me, as they fulfill the "magical piece of glass that can transform into anything you need" vision that Apple has been pushing since the original Pro. With the addition of the Apple Pencil, and eventually the Magic Keyboard, it's finally become a fully modular computing device.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I've said this a lot in many other threads, but the iPad Pro is the computer I dreamed about having as a kid. The 2018 and 2020 models have especially impressed me, as they fulfill the "magical piece of glass that can transform into anything you need" vision that Apple has been pushing since the original Pro. With the addition of the Apple Pencil, and eventually the Magic Keyboard, it's finally become a fully modular computing device.
Yeah, I agree ... I’ve always had an obsession with being fully connected and computing capable, and I think the iPad just about does the trick. The seamless cellular integration we take for granted but far outdoes traditional operating systems.

One big problem area tho ... games. Apple has done a terrible job of bringing console quality games to an otherwise capable platform.

Girlsmouth

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2019
So after having iPad Pro 11 battery issues I took the Apple Pencil off and turn Bluetooth off when not using and the battery is now insane!

I’m getting an average 16 hours on screen time between charges! I use the iPad to stream tv and movies so I’m over the moon with it now.
Just something to watch for those that keep an Apple Pencil attached to the iPad as I’m sure that was my issue

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I absolutely love mine. I upgraded from a 9.7 IPP. I love FaceID and the bigger screen it has after ditching the home button. I use it for hours every day (2018 model) and the battery is still rock solid.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I replaced my 12.9 iPad with the 1 TB 2020 13” MBP. It is a far superior device. The iPad Pro is too limited of what it can do, especially since it costs the same as the 13” MBP.

OK this I agree with, almost 100%. The only thing I think an iPad does better is sitting down in a chair with my legs propped up and reading books for hours and hours. Yes, you can do that on the MBP but, if you will at least entertain one tiny thing I think an iPad does better - reading books for 5-6 hours straight. :)

I love my 2017 MBP 13' TB. And yes, the iPad is damn expensive.
[automerge]1590257099[/automerge]
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, the hardware is certainly wonderful.

However, I'm still in a situation where 95% of what I do doesn't work on an iPad or doesn't work without major workarounds.

It's really annoying, I always want to use my iPad but I always have to use my computer.

This summarizes my feelings well.

Reactions: bhodinut

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, I agree ... I’ve always had an obsession with being fully connected and computing capable, and I think the iPad just about does the trick. The seamless cellular integration we take for granted but far outdoes traditional operating systems.

One big problem area tho ... games. Apple has done a terrible job of bringing console quality games to an otherwise capable platform.

I don’t know if I fully agree as far as the games. I think there are a lot of quality, non free-to-play games out there for iPad. In fact, I’ve been really impressed by some of the PC games they’ve ported over too. Biggest example I can think of would be Civilization VI.

I do agree though that there needs to be more of a push for this. The iPad Pro can handle better games than what it currently gets.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Pretty much everything. By adding mouse support, Apple has effectively conceded that there are certain computing tasks that are better accomplished that way.

Not really, no - they conceded that in certain situations, the mouse (or, should I say trackpad) and keyboard is the best way to use your iPad (and they made the best pointer ever seen on a computer for it, btw). When I’m at my desk, it’s certainly amazing and best for some workflows. But when I’m lying in bed? Sitting in the park? Walking around the appartment? iPad’s touch-first interface is still the best (and it’s certainly better than the touch interface on Windows hybrid devices).

So they conceded nothing, they added the option - which made the iPad a better device. But it’s still an iPad first, and iPadOS - as good as it is - still needs work to be great, regardless of the pointer support. In fact, there is little they can do with the pointer beyond what they already did (they can hardly make it better than it is). But they have a lot more work left to make iPadOS be what we all want it to be - and they certainly made quite a few great decisions with 13, and we’re all looking forward to 14 and seeing what’s new.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I do agree though that there needs to be more of a push for this. The iPad Pro can handle better games than what it currently gets.

I think cost and size are huge hurdles. AAA games take up an enormous amount of space. Not a big deal on a console with 500 GB, but an iPad is a different story. Plus you know people are going to complain about $60 games. That being said I would absolutely be up it!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Not really, no - they conceded that in certain situations, the mouse (or, should I say trackpad) and keyboard is the best way to use your iPad (and they made the best pointer ever seen on a computer for it, btw). When I’m at my desk, it’s certainly amazing and best for some workflows. But when I’m lying in bed? Sitting in the park? Walking around the appartment? iPad’s touch-first interface is still the best (and it’s certainly better than the touch interface on Windows hybrid devices).

So they conceded nothing, they added the option - which made the iPad a better device. But it’s still an iPad first, and iPadOS - as good as it is - still needs work to be great, regardless of the pointer support. In fact, there is little they can do with the pointer beyond what they already did (they can hardly make it better than it is). But they have a lot more work left to make iPadOS be what we all want it to be - and they certainly made quite a few great decisions with 13, and we’re all looking forward to 14 and seeing what’s new.

Yep—I think they’ve taken care of a good deal of the low hanging fruit at this point. Any changes to iPadOS going forward are going to be built on what I now think is a very solid foundation. Exciting times for this device.

Reactions: aevan

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
I wish I had gone with the 11. A smaller iPad Pro will replace my 12.9 3rd gen pro the second it dies...or I talk myself into selling it.

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
I love getting new tech (it's my weakness) but my 11" 2018 iPad Pro is so good I don't feel any itch to upgrade.

This - I have had zero interest in upgrading to the new iPP, even though I have almost always upgraded to the next iteration of the iPP. I have had mine for 1.5 years, but I still get amazed at how light it is and how fast it is!

Reactions: Moyapilot

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This - I have had zero interest in upgrading to the new iPP, even though I have almost always upgraded to the next iteration of the iPP. I have had mine for 1.5 years, but I still get amazed at how light it is and how fast it is!
Absolutely nothing wrong with sticking with what you have if it still works fine for you.

I was going to stay with my 2018 11” Pro but decided I wanted the bigger size. If I had already been on the 12.9” I would NOT have upgraded this year.

Reactions: azt33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.