Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psneddon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Scotland
Does anyone have both the “ESR for iPad Pro 12.9 2024 Case Magnetic” for the new iPad Pro 13 (I assume the ESR case was designed and manufactured before the iPad announcement) and the Apple Smart Folio, to compare side by side?

The edges / overhang of the ESR case seems slightly bigger than previous folio type cases I’ve had, and I’m finding both holding the iPad one-handed with the cover on (which I did all the time with my M1 12.9), and pressing the volume buttons a bit of a chore.

• When holding with my left hand at the bottom of the iPad with the ESR folio case folded back it sort of digs into my palm - this might just be down the thinness of the iPad.
  • I find pushing the volume buttons difficult as I keep ending up pushing down on the edge of the case instead - again this might be more to do with the thinness and not caused by the case.
I’m wondering the anyone has both cases, or at least can chime in with their experience before I end up shelling out for the Apple case.

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 57

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I have “ESR for iPad Pro 12.9 2024 Case Magnetic”. I could not get it to fit. Reviews said that even though it says 12.9, it fits on the 13. Some other reviews say it doesn’t. I tried cramming my iPad into it for a bit and then put it back in the box and submitted the return to Amazon. That’s the second ESR item I’ve had to return this week.

Reactions: psneddon

psneddon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Scotland
I ended up also buying the Apple Smart Folio.
  • The ESR case is slightly larger and it does have a noticeable lip around it while the apple folio has only a very slight lip (it looks flush but you can feel a very slight overhang). The result is that the volume buttons are higher than the case with the Apple version, but lower with the ESR.
  • The Apple folio is also much thinner than the ESR, this is very noticeable when you put them side by side. See the attached imagine, ESR case is on the left.
  • The Apple folio has the added feature of being able to support 2 different angles when folded back (it uses extra magnets to achieve this)
  • The ESR case does have the extra protection from the apple pencil falling off (extra flap of material), which is nice and works as expected, but the downside is that when the cover is folded back the extra material gets in the way and can be annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 44

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The 'Sunny' South Coast UK
@psneddon

Hello, I too have the same ESR case as you which, initially, I was happy with especially when considering the cost versus the official Apple Smart Folio. However, I’ve decided the ESR case is too bulky and will be returning it to Amazon.

Would you recommend the Apple folio or do you think I would be better off using the iPad naked…which is my only other option?

I should add that when I’m not using the iPad I would keep it stored in a padded sleeve.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts!

Andy 🧐

In addition, could you confirm if the Apple Smart Folio has the embossed Apple 🍏 on the back (or not) please?

Last edited:

psneddon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Scotland
@F-Stop

i think the main reasons to get the Apple folio over simular covers is for the extra angles it offers, its thinness and lightness, and for its perfectly fitting dimensions.

I dont think I would enjoy using the iPad without a cover, especially if putting it into a bag, not to mention the functionally that the case offers such as the sleep / wake and stand functions. A sleeve would be my 2nd choice as I use sleeves for my MacBooks and love them, but the thing that prevented me buying a sleeve for my iPad was because I have the Apple Pencil attached and assume this would be constantly dislodged.

I’m 100% pleased that I ordered the Apple folio, it feels so much better when using it on the iPad compared to the ESR. The folio cover does have the Apple logo embossed on the back.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: F-Stop

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I just got the Apple Folio case delivered because I am having a hard time finding a case. I am not even going to bother using it because it has NO protection for the sides at all. I can't believe that they charge $100 for that flimsy thing. It basically is like using it without a case because there's no actual case to it. It protects the screen and the back. That's it.

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
@psneddon

Thank you so much for such a prompt and comprehensive reply…that was exactly what I was hoping to hear! So it looks like I’m just going to have to pony up and stop being so tight. However, I still haven’t completely ruled out fitting an ESR Armourite screen protector and storing it in the sleeve for when it’s not being used.

I love just how thin and light this iPad is and really don’t want to start adding any bulk to it. AppleCare+ should take care of it should any unfortunate damage/scratches occur.

@usmaak Why did you order the Apple Folio case when it was obvious they afforded no protection to the iPads sides…especially when that seems so important to you?

Thanks

Andy

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
@psneddon

Thank you so much for such a prompt and comprehensive reply…that was exactly what I was hoping to hear! So it looks like I’m just going to have to pony up and stop being so tight. However, I still haven’t completely ruled out fitting an ESR Armourite screen protector and storing it in the sleeve for when it’s not being used.

I love just how thin and light this iPad is and really don’t want to start adding any bulk to it. AppleCare+ should take care of it should any unfortunate damage/scratches occur.

@usmaak Why did you order the Apple Folio case when it was obvious they afforded no protection to the iPads sides…especially when that seems so important to you?

Thanks

Andy
Simply because I didn't realize it. I'm scrambling to find a case for this thing and I missed the obvious. Plus I have had Apple cases in the past that did have side protection.

• Wow
Reactions: F-Stop

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
@usmaak

oh ok, I understand. Well, that’s very unfortunate and I’m sorry that you appear to have wasted your time and money on a case that clearly is not appropriate for your situation/needs.

Hopefully you should be able to return the case and receive a full refund on the item. I completely agree with you at being so shocked at the cost…it is a large amount of money for a case/cover…but that’s Apple for you :eek:

Cheers

Andy

Reactions: usmaak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.