Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I regularly used Universal Control with my iPad Pro 2018 and my M2 MacBook Air to control both devices with the same keyboard and mouse connected to my laptop. It was never an issue detecting the iPad (being nearby) in the display settings control panel, but since the update to 16.4 I can't get the "use keyboard and mouse" option to appear. It also now has trouble showing the iPad as an AirPlay device; I have to cycle through sleep/wake on the iPad until is shows up in the AirPlay options.

I have tried turning handoff and all the related features on and off and restart each device with no changes.

Is anyone else having this issue? I can get it to show as an AirPlay device to extend the MacBook Air display but the keyboard and mouse option never shows up anymore... it worked without fail before the most recent update. :-(

Image 2023-04-01 at 9.20 AM.jpg

I used to have the option above the list of mirror devices to "link" or use my MacBook keyboard and mouse. It's not shown up since the update. I haven't changed anything about the arrangement or setup of my desk.

Last edited:

toypadlock

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
UK
yeah, i'm having a v similar issue too (only with a mac mini 2018) and it's super frustrating. had a setup where i have my work laptop and my mac mini using the same input devices and it now no longer works

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I was able to get it to work yesterday after signing out of iCloud on my iPad and shutting down, then turning each device back on (restarting from the Apple menu on the laptop didn't seem to work, but shutdown did).

I'm now having the same issue again today where it's not recognizing the iPad Pro and despite the workaround of signing out of iCloud it was a pain, so I'm not going to do that again and just wait for an update. I hope they fix this ASAP because it's messing with my setup and productivity.

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I ended up going onto the public beta after I posted (only on my iPhone and iPad Pro). It didn't change anything, and I still had the same problems with handoff features, however, when I updated my MacBook Air (M2) to macOS 13.3.1 it solved the problems. It works as it did in the past where putting my iPad Pro near my laptop made it automatically show up in the display settings and I was able to use universal keyboard and mouse without having to do anything (it was automatic again as soon as I unlocked my laptop). :) I'm still on the public beta with my iOS devices but keep my laptop on the non-beta release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.