Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Should I upgrade?

Yes, it’s one of those posts.

So I have a 3rd generation (one camera at the back) iPad Pro 256g ( 220g is always free). I use it mainly for notes and sometimes for sideloading messages during meetings - quickly send a message while taking notes.

I do A LOT of note-taking. This has replaced almost all my paper note-taking. And that’s all I currently use it for.

However, I have an opportunity to upgrade to the latest iPad. 3 cameras - I use the one when taking photos of whiteboards and things to go in the note, and I do measurements (on my iPhone) for building upgrade projects. I am a film professional so upgrading to the new display sounds like a great idea. Of course, the M1 speaks to me…

However, is it a good idea?

The end cost to me would be around $450-$500, which isn’t bad… but I’m not sure it’s wise.

I love my iPad and it works for what I use it for… is it a good idea to upgrade? Thoughts?

gordonmcalpin

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Somerville, MA
Wait for the next one, if it's OLED. I like the extra RAM (more layers in Procreate) and Thunderbolt is a worthwhile the upgrade--but it was disappointing to learn that you can't use the iPad like a Thunderbolt monitor with a Mac (it connects at 10 Gbps speeds, not 40 Gbps, making it too laggy for drawing) and the miniLED blooming is a distraction when watching very dark scenes in movies.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I have the same iPad and I use it to take notes and read books. I won't pay 450$ for M1 and a marginally better screen.
It would be a color calibrated HDR display… the equivalent displays are quite expensive. Well maybe it’s mot really color calibrated but it is HDR capable.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
For now I would say no.
Your pro is already the redesigned model with the A12X right? the 2018 model.

The only thing that iPad is possible lacking a bit is with the memory. Currently there is not a lot of powerful software to make use of it and iPadOS certainly doesn’t need it. Unless the mini LED hdr is very important to you, I would hold out and see what the autumn brings in terms of new iPad Pro’s

Software wise things might change after WWDC but that’s more wishful thinking on my part.

Now if it were an older 2017 model I would say yes. I wouldn’t enjoy the older design anymore after getting used to the new one.

Reactions: jumpcutking

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
Not in the exact same boat, but also a film professional and recently picked up the 2021 12.9 iPad Pro for script breakdowns and shot diagrams in the office. HOWEVER, I just returned it for a 2018 model (3rd gen) that I snagged off the Apple refurb store for half the price. Because of the gimped iPadOS, the 2018 is nearly everything the 2021 model is IMHO. I know the Mini-LED screen is tempting, but until they allow HDR to be used in more applications (editing, Side Car, PIX etc) it’s just not worth the extra weight or price for me. It can not be a reference monitor yet. My advice - save your money and wait (or use that money and buy a couple of Apple shares).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
However, I have an opportunity to upgrade to the latest iPad. 3 cameras - I use the one when taking photos of whiteboards and things to go in the note, and I do measurements (on my iPhone) for building upgrade projects.

Are you using LiDAR? If so, this would get me to consider the upgrade. Having to juggle both an iPhone and iPad while out in the field is difficult. Easier to just have one device that can do everything.

Gatorman

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2002
Florida
I usually don’t chime in much on the forums, but figured I’d share my two cents. If you want to, dive in. I had a 3rd Gen 11” iPad Pro and wanted a bigger screen and was attracted by the potential of the M1. Overall, I’m happy with my upgrade. I love the Mini LED screen and the blooming really doesn’t bother me (I guess I’m not watching as many black screens as others?). I noticed a significant performance increase with all of my applications and software I use 3D models to educated (I’m a physician and the anatomy applications work great to explain things to my patients). Face ID is awesome. Sound is amazing. Overall it’s a great device. I considered waiting out for OLED, but that could be like waiting for the PowerBook G5 AND when it comes out, will most likely drive the price up too. So, I took all of that into consideration. I recommend diving in!

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
The XDR display would be a major selling point to a film professional, given the brightness and the colours.

There is no good or bad decision, since both the 2018 12.9 and M1 12.9 are both good devices.

If the end cost is $500 and you planned to keep the device for 4 years, then that’s an M1 iPad Pro 12.9 for $125 per year. This is not counting any money you get back from resale value in 2025.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Are you using LiDAR? If so, this would get me to consider the upgrade. Having to juggle both an iPhone and iPad while out in the field is difficult. Easier to just have one device that can do everything.
Yes! Definitely.
I'm curious, how are you using the lidar? I've played with it on mine, but haven't found a compelling application for it yet-- or maybe I'm just not willing to pay a subscription for a high enough quality modeling application.

I updated from the 2018 to the M1 and have been happy with the update. I do like the screen, and the additional storage, memory and CPU power have yielded incremental improvements in my work. Not sure you'd notice any of it just taking notes though...

Last edited:

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I'm curious, how are you using the lidar? I've played with it on mine, but haven't found a compelling application for it yet-- or maybe I'm just not willing to pay a subscription for a high enough quality modeling application.

I updated from the 2018 to the 2020 and have been happy with the update. I do like the screen, and the additional storage, memory and CPU power have yielded incremental improvements in my work. Not sure you'd notice any of it just taking notes though...
I’m sure the incremental improvements will be nothing in comparison from an Intel Mac to a M1 Mac.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I updated from the 2018 to the 2020 and have been happy with the update. I do like the screen, and the additional storage, memory and CPU power have yielded incremental improvements in my work. Not sure you'd notice any of it just taking notes though...

Do you mean from 2018 to 2021? CPU performance is pretty much the same on 2018 (A12X) and 2020 (A12Z).

oneahis

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2016
There’s only 2-3 months left until the next iPad refresh so I would wait until then. And if you don’t have to have all the updated features on the next one, then you can get the M1 cheaper used.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
FYI 3rd gen 11” iPad Pro is M1. The second-gen 11” is both the A12X & 12Z.

11" yes albeit 1st gen is A12X (8c/7c) and 2nd gen is A12Z (8c/8c). 12.9" single camera is 3rd gen and M1 12.9" is 5th gen already.

OP specifically mentioned one camera and upgrading for Mini-LED so I assume he's referring to the 12.9" models.

As for the 12.9" being too big, back when I was doing field work, I used to carry the following to construction sites along with sheafs of paper, and pens and highlighters in multiple colors. Comparatively speaking, I expect an iPad Pro 12.9" in Otterbox Defender case would be so much easier to handle.

00D29D17-E7D1-45E9-A526-87C3502F37C3.jpeg

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Nope, not worthwhile IMO. I made that jump and then regretted it afterwards. There was no difference in my usage with the speed / RAM enhancements, and the marginal extra weight was quite noticeable to me.

The screen is genuinely incredible, but I probably wouldn’t have spent all that money just to upgrade for the screen. I’d at least wait for the 2022 iPads so you at least (presumably) get a new design out of your upgrade cost.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Nope, not worthwhile IMO. I made that jump and then regretted it afterwards. There was no difference in my usage with the speed / RAM enhancements, and the marginal extra weight was quite noticeable to me.

The screen is genuinely incredible, but I probably wouldn’t have spent all that money just to upgrade for the screen. I’d at least wait for the 2022 iPads so you at least (presumably) get a new design out of your upgrade cost.

Same thoughts here on my side - however with Apple’s return policy in most countries it’s also safe to order one and just test it for two weeks, then decide. But had I owned a 2018 or later, I wouldn’t get the current version.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I was thinking of upgrading my 2018 64 GB model to the 5th gen, glad I stopped by here first. I don’t think I’ll bother as I really don’t want anything heavier than the 3rd gen, although of course I would like more storage.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Top Three things to consider before upgrading:
1. Same Design? No need to Upgrade
2. Almost Same Speed? No Need.
3. Almost Same Features? No Need.

In Asia people are wise, they wouldn't upgrade to a newer Product not unless The design has also changed. If iPad Pro get redesigned in 2022 or 2023.. and you upgraded to 2021, people will still think you have an older model like the 2018 because of same front bezel design..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.