Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Top Three things to consider before upgrading:
1. Same Design? No need to Upgrade
2. Almost Same Speed? No Need.
3. Almost Same Features? No Need.

In Asia people are wise, they wouldn't upgrade to a newer Product not unless The design has also changed. If iPad Pro get redesigned in 2022 or 2023.. and you upgraded to 2021, people will still think you have an older model like the 2018 because of same front bezel design..

I don’t think this type of hollow consumerism that buys a new iPad just because the design had changed a bit is a thing, but . there are of course extreme cases. I bet most will be used at home anyway, and if not, the majority won’t care what model tablet a stranger carries around with them.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don’t think this type of hollow consumerism that buys a new iPad just because the design had changed a bit is a thing, but . there are of course extreme cases. I bet most will be used at home anyway, and if not, the majority won’t care what model tablet a stranger carries around with them.

I know it exists for phones in Asia. There's a reason new colors tend to be in high demand (proof that one has the latest gen).

Personally, I don't mind sticking to an older design or model if it suits my needs.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Nope, not worthwhile IMO. I made that jump and then regretted it afterwards. There was no difference in my usage with the speed / RAM enhancements, and the marginal extra weight was quite noticeable to me.

The screen is genuinely incredible, but I probably wouldn’t have spent all that money just to upgrade for the screen. I’d at least wait for the 2022 iPads so you at least (presumably) get a new design out of your upgrade cost.
I don't think the upcoming models do have a redesign? Or at least the rumours I've seen suggest a relatively small update with the M2 chip and wireless charging through a larger glass Apple logo being the main additions. I'd assume the next redesign will be the 2024 OLED models, or perhaps the larger 14" model if that is launched separately to the existing lineup?

Reactions: Vivian125

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I know it exists for phones in Asia. There's a reason new colors tend to be in high demand (proof that one has the latest gen).

Personally, I don't mind sticking to an older design or model if it suits my needs.

Whatever motivation one might have, just don’t expect the next best person to care, at all. Tech fascination is not uncommon but at the level where it’s just about the bling, I don’t believe that sticks as a thing long past puberty, for the majority of the audience.

Reactions: Vivian125

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Whatever motivation one might have, just don’t expect the next best person to care, at all. Tech fascination is not uncommon but at the level where it’s just about the bling, I don’t believe that sticks as a thing long past puberty, for the majority of the audience.

Mostly because people move on to other things - designer bags, jewelry, cars, plastic surgery, etc. Ugh, I sound so cynical.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Mostly because people move on to other things - designer bags, jewelry, cars, plastic surgery, etc. Ugh, I sound so cynical.

I’d say that’s probably as much your projection as anything else. Plenty people skip these rather shallow materialistic addictions and focus on the stuff they need.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Top Three things to consider before upgrading:
1. Same Design? No need to Upgrade
2. Almost Same Speed? No Need.
3. Almost Same Features? No Need.

In Asia people are wise, they wouldn't upgrade to a newer Product not unless The design has also changed. If iPad Pro get redesigned in 2022 or 2023.. and you upgraded to 2021, people will still think you have an older model like the 2018 because of same front bezel design..
The speed difference between the M1 and the before m1, to me was substantial. I definitely got it.

Reactions: Alexs Pylypenko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.