Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My iPad Pro 9.7 also has the screen gap :O !

• Total voters

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I got my iPad Pro 9.7 about a week ago...

It's the most fabulous thing ever, however there is an issue with it.

First I noticed that the home button was a but floppy, soft, and wobbling. Then I noticed that on the bottom left, there was a gap between the black of the bevel and the silver edge, which wasn't there on the bottom right. It was like the screen was put on a little bit off, or wasn't quite the right size.

ANYWHO, what did I do?
I got Apple to send me a new one, a BRAND new one. Not one of the in-store replacements.

It arrived yesterday, and the home button is fine. A little softer than my iPhone 6S, but alright.

Then I check the screen, and it's identically gappy as the first iPad Pro. I am attaching pictures so you can all see (apologies that it's a tad dirty).

Is anyone esle's iPad Pro like this? My iPad Mini 4 doesn't have this problem.

As of right now, I won't change it again via post etc... Just wait to see if this is a common fault, and when they correct it, get them to replace it again!

(Original pictures on photo bucket here)

BOTTOM RIGHT
image_zpst7cypjyz.jpeg

BOTTOM LEFT
image_zpsb0xxf2mw.jpeg

TOP RIGHT
image_zpsndnkylyg.jpeg

TOP LEFT
image_zpsafvwh0zc.jpeg

BOTTOM OVERALL
image_zpsr1mfi9c4.jpeg

Reactions: Gawjuz

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My opinion, having had every device with this bevel (excluding the big Pro) is that some irregularity is normal. If everything else is great then keep it. As for the home button, I've never had an iPad with a home button as tactile as an iPhone home button, without exception.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Are yours fine?

Every home button on every Apple device I have had is different. As long as when I push it and it does what it is supposed to do, I am good with it.

As far as a gap, nothing in your images raise any alarms to me. I unboxed both of my 9.7 units and slipped them directly into the Apple cases and applied the covers and they both have worked with out flaw.
[doublepost=1460659590][/doublepost]Maybe go to the Apple store and compare yours to the one on display.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Every home button on every Apple device I have had is different. As long as when I push it and it does what it is supposed to do, I am good with it.

As far as a gap, nothing in your images raise any alarms to me. I unboxed both of my 9.7 units and slipped them directly into the Apple cases and applied the covers and they both have worked with out flaw.
[doublepost=1460659590][/doublepost]Maybe go to the Apple store and compare yours to the one on display.

I have seen them in store, and they don't have the 'defect'...
Bare in mind that I got both of mine online, and both came from the Italy despach centre.

The home button was dodgy on the first one, I know that they vary. The new one has a softer click, but it doesn't move and rattle around like the original one.

My issue isn't the home button now, but this recurring gap theme haha.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have seen them in store, and they don't have the 'defect'...
Bare in mind that I got both of mine online, and both came from the Italy despach centre.

The home button was dodgy on the first one, I know that they vary. The new one has a softer click, but it doesn't move and rattle around like the original one.

My issue isn't the home button now, but this recurring gap theme haha.

Switch it out or accept it as it is or you will drive yourself crazy and not enjoy your iPad Pro!

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
When the hell are iPad's going to get the same rounded design as the iPhone 6/6+? I'm hoping it will be this Fall. It's long overdue.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
iPad 2 was the worst for gaps. All devices where the screen sits in the back casing can have this issue. Some more than others. I remember my iPhone 5 had a bad fit at the top and let's not forget the iPhone 3G light leak issue from the screen area opposite the mute switch. The screen/rear fit was so bad light leaked out when used in the dark! I don't think this is likely with an iPad though.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
When the hell are iPad's going to get the same rounded design as the iPhone 6/6+? I'm hoping it will be this Fall. It's long overdue.

I'm sorry I particularly love the shinny Chamfered edges the gleam it's part of why I bought Gold it's a white face with a shinny gold trim its the most Premium upscale looking device there is.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
mine i returned had a flaking coating on the screen, a giant screen gap and iOS kept crashing, i say go for the refund and exchange

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
No gaps here but Atlanta75 that's a returnable gap. It's gonna fill up with so much hand oil and grease and goop.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Are you guys having any problems with the screen discoloring whenever use the Apple Pencil? I know when you press really hard on the screen it turns a rainbow colored but on my iPad pro you don't have to press very hard at all and it does it. I'm wondering if this is normal or not?

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I returned my iPad Pro yesterday, because it was a stuttering mess.

I'll wait for a real 9.7" iPad "Pro" with 4GB of RAM.

However, I can't see any gaps in your images?

Keep it and enjoy it or just do what I did and get rid of it.

I was driving myself nuts, trying to fix the stutter, and you'll only do the same with regards to any defects.

Trust me, been there ...

Leo90

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I returned my iPad Pro yesterday, because it was a stuttering mess.

I'll wait for a real 9.7" iPad "Pro" with 4GB of RAM.

However, I can't see any gaps in your images?

Keep it and enjoy it or just do what I did and get rid of it.

I was driving myself nuts, trying to fix the stutter, and you'll only do the same with regards to any defects.

Trust me, been there ...

Stuttering? Mine runs really smooth. RAM has nothing to do with this stuttering as iOS manages used and unused apps so system doesnt get slower. For instance, iPad Mini 4 stutters way more than 9.7 iPad Pro and both have the same amount of RAM. The difference is in the processing unit. I wonder if this you noticed is just a placebo because you know your device has "only" 2GB ram.

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Stuttering? Mine runs really smooth. RAM has nothing to do with this stuttering as iOS manages used and unused apps so system doesnt get slower. For instance, iPad Mini 4 stutters way more than 9.7 iPad Pro and both have the same amount of RAM. The difference is in the processing unit. I wonder if this you noticed is just a placebo because you know your device has "only" 2GB ram.

Nothing wrong with my eyes.

However, you're obviously blinded by your love for Apple!

This iPad should have had 4GB of RAM, if it's to be considered a "Pro" device.

Tell me something: Why does the 12.9" iPad Pro have 4GB of RAM, yet the 7.9" iPad "Pro" only has 2GB of RAM?

Similarly, how can the tiny iPhone SE have the same amount of RAM as a "Pro" iPad??

It just doesn't make any sense.

They cheaped out with the RAM on this "Pro" iPad. They're obviously waiting for the refresh to give it 4GB of RAM - or should I say, another reason for people to "upgrade"!

Leo90

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Nothing wrong with my eyes.

However, you're obviously blinded by your love for Apple!

This iPad should have had 4GB of RAM, if it's to be considered a "Pro" device.

Tell me something: Why does the 12.9" iPad Pro have 4GB of RAM, yet the 7.9" iPad "Pro" only has 2GB of RAM?

Similarly, how can the tiny iPhone SE have the same amount of RAM as a "Pro" iPad??

It just doesn't make any sense.

They cheaped out with the RAM on this "Pro" iPad. They're obviously waiting for the refresh to give it 4GB of RAM - or should I say, another reason for people to "upgrade"!

One of the reasons may be related to much bigger display on 12.9 Pro, which requires more RAM than a 9.7 Pro. The "upgrade" argument is not valid, otherwise they would have put 2 or 3GB ram on the 12.9 as well. The fact is that experience is not impaired whatsoever by these 2gb ram at the moment. I buy my gadgets to use them right now, and not only in the future.

Reactions: HiItsMe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.