Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Since we all have the same iPad, watch this video at the 0:51 and pause there where the red balls are flying with a background. At 35% to 45% I can very clearly see the bloom just as bad as the photos appear.

‘what I found interesting, is if you lay it flat on a table and take several steps back, the blooming gets even worse, as worse as the photos that I’ve seen

‘Bad’ is overblown, compared to a regular LCD, these mini-LEDs are are good, great even. And certainly far better than the previous gen ipad pros when it comes to black screen situations.

But for pure blacks, OLED is simply a better technology as it stands right now.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
‘Bad’ is overblown, compared to a regular LCD, these mini-LEDs are are good, great even. And certainly far better than the previous gen ipad pros when it comes to black screen situations.

But for pure blacks, OLED is simply a better technology as it stands right now.
Blooming is bad. And yes i find it superior to the previous gen, it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m saying how it is tho, it’s pretty noticeable.

Reactions: GuruZac

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Blooming is bad. And yes i find it superior to the previous gen, it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m saying how it is tho, it’s pretty noticeable.
I wonder because we’re just not used to looking at mini LED screens, is the blooming something we’re specifically looking for because it’s different? Or over time would it just become a thing that fades into the background? Like the iMac chin

Chaser919

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
It’s bad…

Attachments

• 7C7AB882-560B-4601-B4D6-DBF75F42EF97.jpeg
    7C7AB882-560B-4601-B4D6-DBF75F42EF97.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 309

Chaser919

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
I wonder because we’re just not used to looking at mini LED screens, is the blooming something we’re specifically looking for because it’s different? Or over time would it just become a thing that fades into the background? Like the iMac chin
I hope you are right. I just can’t get over how egregious it is. I am also very surprised that none of the YouTubers haven’t even commented on the issue in their reviews. Seems suspicious.

• Haha
Reactions: slplss

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I hope you are right. I just can’t get over how egregious it is. I am also very surprised that none of the YouTubers haven’t even commented on the issue in their reviews. Seems suspicious.
I agree the youtuber reviewers really let us down, I don’t think I remember even MKBHD mentioning it.

Edit:
Right now i’m watching the earth at night apple tv+ show, and the bloom is not noticeable to me unless I specifically look for it

Last edited:

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wow I didn’t notice any blooming but this is the first HD video I’ve seen on this thing and I was mesmerized!! I’m very excited to see more. Have also been noticing it looks particularly well in dark mode.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m a designer and very particular and this doesn’t bother me. If you keep pausing video frames you’ll see some problems in certain conditions. It’s not as good as an OLED but 99% of the time you won’t notice when just watching normal video content and not all these stupid HDR OLED black contrast and color tests. I just put on a 4K HDR movie on my 2021 and my 2018 and synced them up to start and this new display is way better. Stop worrying. A few more years down the line and we’ll have micro LED and perfect everything. Until then this is a big step up and not really noticeable if you’re watching a movie for a movie instead of finding ways to piss yourself off. The fact that it looks this great in an iPad at 120Hz for this price is amazing. Nothing else out there comes close. Be happy for a change.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
That video looks amazing on my 2021 12.9” iPad Pro.

The display does have some issues: the halo is a bit annoying, but overall everything else is pretty solid. I have noticed that some colors haven’t been accurately balanced and bloom quite heavy(Like every shade of black is fine except 1 or 2, watch the last episode of the witcher to see what I’m talking about,I wonder if this blooming is what people are seeing and complaining about; it is possible apps need color rebalancing for mini-led light output as well and this accounts for some of what people are showing).

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Wow I didn’t notice any blooming but this is the first HD video I’ve seen on this thing and I was mesmerized!! I’m very excited to see more. Have also been noticing it looks particularly well in dark mode.
What I was thinking, haven’t been able to use it much and I just randomly clicked this.
Freaking incredible display. Was gonna watch a movie on the tv but now I think I’ll use this.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
mini LED is aimed at being a compromise between LCD low contrast, and OLED self lit pixels but low overall brightness. I personally think the tradeoffs are worth it when you have that many dimming zones. Yes there are edge cases but I’d expect Apple to address those - eg if you’re using white on black high contrast they could apply a backlight across the entire screen - give up ultimate blacks for uniform display.

I do also think the HDR is too ‘poppy’ at the moment - that example video looks amazing in some places, but it just stands out unrealistically in others. HDR videos on youtube are the same - lights etc seem ‘max brightness’ and falls off too quickly. Maybe needs some adjustment in the tone mapping

Reactions: Moyapilot

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
If anything, this video convinced me to keep this new iPad. Man, the colors and high peak brightness and dark blacks are incredible. I also am putting a lot of thought into the blooming right now, because I am a huge OLED fan. but I am sure I will get used to the light blooming in some situations over time. The new display certainly is a huge upgrade over the past generation and looks better than my OLED TV in this video in 99 % of the scenes due to much more impressive color volume and highlight brightness. You really have to actively look for the blooming (which right now many of us here in the forum are doing) in normal viewing conditions. I do not plan to use my iPad in a pitch-black room like my OLED TV, so I think I will notice it less and less after a few months of use and not obsessing over it any more.

What I love is that HDR video are automatically played back at maximum brightness with this new XDR display, regardless of the brightness setting of the iPad. No more fiddling around with the brightness slider everytime a HDR video is played.

Last edited:

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
If anything, this video convinced me to keep this new iPad. Man, the colors and high peak brightness and dark blacks are incredible. I also am putting a lot of thought into the blooming right now, because I am a huge OLED fan. but I am sure I will het used to the light blooming in some situations over time. The new display certainly is a huge upgrade over the past generation and looks better than my OLED TV in this video in 99 % of the scenes due to much more impressive color volume and highlight brightness.

Totally agree with you, yes there is a little bit of blooming but its not half as bad as people are making it out to be!

If you don’t like it and are disappointed, why not return your iPad and wait several years until apple release an OLED version. I love the screen on my new iPad!

Yes I agree everyone uses there iPads for different purposes but the screen imho is not as bad as people are making it out to be, seems like people just like to complain about everything. I’m sure if apple released an OLED version there would be something else people will complain about!

Enjoy your new iPads and if you don’t, just return it!

Reactions: grmlin

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I’m watching this video and see nothing disturbing, the screen is gorgeous.

do I have to watch it in complete darkness or something to notice it? Not that I care, that’s not how I use an iPad
If you do just makes it more gorgeous.
Haven’t used a device in pitch black since I was a kid hiding the fact I was up late but this device is amazing at it.

Reactions: grmlin

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is one of those things where you really need to go out looking for it to find it as far as I’m concerned

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I watched that video and I don’t see any blooming. Mind you I was enjoying the quality of the video, not looking for problems. :)
Like anything, if you look for problems — you will find them! That being said, I believe the visual effects some are referring to can be corrected with a future software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.