Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinguins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Netherlands
IMG_1561.jpeg
Hi all. I have an iPad Pro 11” 2022 for 11 months now and beneath the glass of the front camera it seems that some crystallization is forming. This started a couple of months ago and keeps growing. I sent it for repair but Apple says: damage, no warranty. I did not do anything wrong with it, there is no scratch on it. What could have caused this? (Apple did not provide info yet)

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

Pinguins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Netherlands
Thanks. How would that get in there? I did not do anything abnormal with it. I use it in the living room and take it with me in the car in a suit case when I go somewhere else. I do not leave it in humid or cold environments.

when light shines on it from the side, it has a pinkish/violet hazy reflection, just like some coating or so.

honcho

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
How did you take the photo? I have something similar developing on the front camera of my M1 iPad Pro. I was thinking that it was some kind of debris.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
View attachment 2368105 Hi all. I have an iPad Pro 11” 2022 for 11 months now and beneath the glass of the front camera it seems that some crystallization is forming. This started a couple of months ago and keeps growing. I sent it for repair but Apple says: damage, no warranty. I did not do anything wrong with it, there is no scratch on it. What could have caused this? (Apple did not provide info yet)
I would try to escalate with apple. Don’t see how this could be done by you

Pinguins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Netherlands
Yeah, I sent it for repair to Amac and and they said no warranty. They did not give any explanation what caused it, nor did they prove that I caused the defect, which, by Dutch law, is necessary. I have legal expenses insurance I provided all information. They already gave me the money to get it repaired because they are very confident to get is back from Amac since Amac has no way to win this case if it would go to court.

Luckily I have this insurance, but it is a lot of fuss to get what I am entitled to.

Reactions: Chuckeee

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Whatever is going on there is the same thing I’ve had on mine for over a year. No idea what it is, but is part of the reason I plan on upgrading.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I took a picture with different lighting.
From that shot, it almost looks like adhesive squeezing out?

I see something similar with a 2021 M1 12.9" Pro. I thought it was just debris crusting up in there, but haven't looked at it that closely because it doesn't seem to be bothering the camera in mine. Yours is more aggressive.

Pinguins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Netherlands
It seems like the glass is glued to a small glass disc (maybe a filter) and it is coming loose. But I don’t know how the iPad is built.

honcho

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
Interesting that other people have the same issue. I wonder how widespread this issue is? I think my AppleCare cover ran out recently, but I might drop buy an Apple Store and show them this thread.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Whatever this issue is, I traded in my iPad that had the same issue today and the person at the Apple Store didn’t bring it up at all. Not sure if they didn’t care or what but I wasn’t about to bring it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.