Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I’m looking at updating my current 2018 A12X 12.9 Pro 256GB to an M1. The M2, forget it!
I don’t really need the additional storage, although 512GB may come in handy later.
However, the 16GB RAM on the 1TB model sounds both good & bad.
Even forgetting the price between the 256GB and 1TB is humongous I’m almost certain I personally will not see any difference in use……. BUT… I would welcome anyone putting me straight By saying the extra RAM is worth/not worth it. Thanks.
I'm upgrading my 2018 11" Pro from 256 to 512. While I do a lot of drawing which can eat space/resources (but no video work), I just can't justify an additional $400 on top of the $1600 (with AppleCare+) that I'm about to plunk down on a new 512 M2 12.9" just to get to 16gb of RAM and space I might not use. If in 2 years suddenly they make it so their fabled "macOS on iPadOS" comes out and is gated behind 16gb, I'll just sell the 512 M2 and think about upgrading then (if I even do upgrade). I tend to keep my devices a long time -- but I miss the 12.9" form factor for reading and drawing.

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
I took a peek at my iPhone 12 PM which has 256GB. I'm only using about 170gb of that fully loaded with a bunch of movies downloaded from Netflix, Prime, HBO Max.

So I ordered the 256gb iPad pro M2 as my first iPad in 5+ years. Given most of my photos/music are in the cloud and I stream most "movies," I only really need on-device storage for downloading a few episodes or movies for long flights.
Downloading personal collection of photos/music from the cloud is a bad idea in this age of multiple terabytes of disks. Of course Apple won't make it cheap by offering 256GB iPads.

Using the cloud has privacy issues too (all your data will be saved somewhere forever, even if you delete them)

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
I’m upgrading from my 2018 12.9” 64 GB to an M1 with 256 GB. The 64 GB has been more manageable than I expected, but it does occasionally cause issues. I would have gone with 128 GB, but it wasn’t available at the time I ordered through the recent Costco offer. I’m kind of glad I skimped on storage with the 2018, otherwise I don’t think I could have convinced myself to upgrade. The 2018 Pro models have really held up well.

pcmike

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I went for 256 GB on my new iPad Pro because I need enough space for my ripped Blu-rays and DVDs. If the higher storage option weren't so crazy expensive, I would have gotten the 1 TB version instead. That way, I could have saved most of my movies on the internal storage instead of having to carry around an external SSD. I'm currently thinking about buying an 2022 Air for my family, but haven't decided whether I should go for the 256 GB option or get the base version.
256GB using any one of the various discounted stores (edu, military) and then the price difference is minimal. Or get it on Amazon for $669

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Downloading personal collection of photos/music from the cloud is a bad idea in this age of multiple terabytes of disks. Of course Apple won't make it cheap by offering 256GB iPads.

Using the cloud has privacy issues too (all your data will be saved somewhere forever, even if you delete them)
I store my photos in the cloud as a form of off-site backup. I don’t have photos I wouldn’t feel comfortable with appearing on a billboard.

For more sensitive stuff I agree with you. While I understand the desire to keep every photo, movie, and song I own on-device… for me personally I don’t feel that need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.