Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z6128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
Has anyone seen or tested the maximum watt charging speed for the usb-c port on the iPad and the new Magic Keyboard?

I feel like I heard some early hands on videos mention the new Magic Keyboard was capable of 60w or something, but I haven’t seen anything in the new reviews mentioning it.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Has anyone seen or tested the maximum watt charging speed for the usb-c port on the iPad and the new Magic Keyboard?

I feel like I heard some early hands on videos mention the new Magic Keyboard was capable of 60w or something, but I haven’t seen anything in the new reviews mentioning it.
Yes. The TB port is 15V at 2.5A. This is 37.5 W. As before, it had not changed.
Now the the Magic Keyboard is also 15V but at 2A. That is 30W. Before it was only 9V.
I’m not sure in what condition you get this 2.5 A. But 2.4 A is common. Let me say: The 35 W dual USB-C adapter is a good option.
I could be wrong. 60W would probably be 2.5 A by 24 V. But the 24/36/48 V adapter are not quit common. Then 60 W is quite a stretch for such a small device and that litte battery. And don’t ask me why it is not 3 A for iPads and iPhones. Probably safety margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I can't find anything reference to this 60 W. And if 60 W, would it be 20 V x 3 A?

The other thing I would wonder about is how much charge the iPad could take through the Magic Keyboard while passing through power through the TB port on the side to power other peripherals like USB-C SSDs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/1ctgsdg

"I have a large battery bank with a display that shows the current wattage going out of the device, the USB-C port maxes out at 100W. Through both the iPad’s actual USB-C port and the Magic Keyboard passthrough, it’s in the 35-39 watts range, though it is actually different, the iPad consistently gets around 36.5 to 37 watts, the keyboard averages 38 to 39.5, I’ve seen very occasional blips at 39.8 to 40 watts but those are uncommon."

Not sure if this would be 20 volts 2 amps or 15 volts 2.67 amps.

Also, I wonder if it would go up if you attach a bus-powered drive to the iPad Pro's Thunderbolt port.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/1ctgsdg

"I have a large battery bank with a display that shows the current wattage going out of the device, the USB-C port maxes out at 100W. Through both the iPad’s actual USB-C port and the Magic Keyboard passthrough, it’s in the 35-39 watts range, though it is actually different, the iPad consistently gets around 36.5 to 37 watts, the keyboard averages 38 to 39.5, I’ve seen very occasional blips at 39.8 to 40 watts but those are uncommon."

Not sure if this would be 20 volts 2 amps or 15 volts 2.67 amps.

Also, I wonder if it would go up if you attach a bus-powered drive to the iPad Pro's Thunderbolt port.
I have a meter that measures voltage and current separately. It is 15 V and 2.5 A.

Moto760

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Missouri, USA
I can't find anything reference to this 60 W. And if 60 W, would it be 20 V x 3 A?

The other thing I would wonder about is how much charge the iPad could take through the Magic Keyboard while passing through power through the TB port on the side to power other peripherals like USB-C SSDs.
I have used a 140w Apple power brick and the 240w USB-C Apple Cable. This is the best I can get using the pass through charging port in the Magic Keyboard case and the same speed connected directly into the M4 iPad Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 56

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I have used a 140w Apple power brick and the 240w USB-C Apple Cable. This is the best I can get using the pass through charging port in the Magic Keyboard case and the same speed connected directly into the M4 iPad Pro.
As I don’t have in the moment a M4 handy, I measured quickly with the 12.9“ M1.
The output from the TB port to an other device is only 7.5 W (5 V by 1.5 A). That is in the spec from USB-C so defined as minimum.
And it doesn’t matter if the iPad Pro is also charged via Magic Keyboard or not. I assume this is the same with the M4. You may test this as well.
I have sometimes a audio interface (Apogee Duet 3) connected which is fine. I don’t know why I haven’t measured that.

Reactions: EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.