Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Higher standby allows you to pick it up and go without worrying about needing to charge while out and about. That said, do you experience any battery difference between power off and boot the following day?

My suggestion applies best to cases where you are settling in for a bit of time and when finished won't be using it for a significant period of time.

Not sure I understand your question about battery difference. Battery capacity is pretty much exactly the same as when I turned it off, but frankly haven't paid that much attention to it.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
My suggestion applies best to cases where you are settling in for a bit of time and when finished won't be using it for a significant period of time.

Not sure I understand your question about battery difference. Battery capacity is pretty much exactly the same as when I turned it off, but frankly haven't paid that much attention to it.
Batteries still discharge when devices are off, albeit an infinitesimal amount most of the time. I wondered if you had experienced any noticeable drop, supposing you turn it off and turn it back on a week later.

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
M4 13 w 5G here and standby time overnight is way better than my M1 12.9 5G. I don’t even take it out of the Magic Keyboard and I lose between 2-4%. The M1 was horrible, I’d lose 20% overnight without it being in the Magic Keyboard. I also never turn off the 5G connection.

Reactions: mansplains

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I wondered if you had experienced any noticeable drop, supposing you turn it off and turn it back on a week later.

I never go more than a day without power cycling. Will try to keep this in mind if shutting down for a longer time.

edited: days to day

Last edited:

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
Coming from iPad Pro 11” M4 (Wifi only) with Logitech Combo Touch, battery drain is negligible and couldn’t be more happy with it.

StringHawk

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2024
I’m curious about something, and I don’t want this to come off as if I’m being sarcastic or criticizing. For the people who say that they lose charge overnight, which has been quite a few people in this thread, why not just plug it in overnight? This way it’s fully charged for the next day?

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I’m curious about something, and I don’t want this to come off as if I’m being sarcastic or criticizing. For the people who say that they lose charge overnight, which has been quite a few people in this thread, why not just plug it in overnight? This way it’s fully charged for the next day?
Having a device that can stay untethered for an extended period is incredibly convenient. With my last iPad, I could go days—sometimes even a week—without needing to recharge. However, it seems that standby time has decreased since the introduction of M1 in iPads. I don't want to worry about keeping a charger in every room or having to bring the iPad to a specific spot just to power it up. This is purely a matter of convenience, but it's what I expect from an iPad. While it's possible to charge it every night, it feels unnecessary, especially when tech from 2017 (like my previous iPad Pro 2nd Gen) has shown that this routine can be a thing of the past.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Having a device that can stay untethered for an extended period is incredibly convenient. With my last iPad, I could go days—sometimes even a week—without needing to recharge. However, it seems that standby time has decreased since the introduction of M1 in iPads. I don't want to worry about keeping a charger in every room or having to bring the iPad to a specific spot just to power it up. This is purely a matter of convenience, but it's what I expect from an iPad. While it's possible to charge it every night, it feels unnecessary, especially when tech from 2017 (like my previous iPad Pro 2nd Gen) has shown that this routine can be a thing of the past.

Question is, why the variation in overnight standby times? My M4 13" Pro loses at most 2% overnight, usually just 1%.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Question is, why the variation in overnight standby times? My M4 13" Pro loses at most 2% overnight, usually just 1%.
Precisely why I posted this to begin with. If the older iPads with lesser tech could do it, why does my wife's M1 Air seem worse? The M1 processors and up should be more power efficient in my mind. So far most M4 responses have been promising, so I think it will be an excellent replacement for her.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Settings, HomeKit, Find My, background processes, apps, etc.

The devices on my primary iCloud account regularly have higher standby battery drain than devices on my beta iCloud account.

Interestingly enough, when I enabled airplane mode on my iPad mini 6 (on primary account), standby drain went from 15-50%/day to 0-5%/day. I guess it does too much ET phone home when there’s an active internet connection.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Settings, HomeKit, Find My, background processes, apps, etc.

The devices on my primary iCloud account regularly have higher standby battery drain than devices on my beta iCloud account.

Interestingly enough, when I enabled airplane mode on my iPad mini 6 (on primary account), standby drain went from 15-50%/day to 0-5%/day. I guess it does too much ET phone home when there’s an active internet connection.

I see the same behavior with my Mini 6. All of my devices are on my primary account. You got me thinking - I do not have iCloud Backup enabled on my iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.