Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
I didn't like the application of the ESR Armorite on the 13" Air as much as I have in the past. Alignment was great but even in a soaking wet steamed bathroom, it was really hard to keep clean. It also kept having bubbles throughout even with very careful work left to right. Went through 4 before perfect. I do have medical OCD so that played a factor.

I really like the iPhone protectors I got last year where when you pull back the underside, it picks up dust off the screen. That was amazing.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I didn't like the application of the ESR Armorite on the 13" Air as much as I have in the past. Alignment was great but even in a soaking wet steamed bathroom, it was really hard to keep clean. It also kept having bubbles throughout even with very careful work left to right. Went through 4 before perfect. I do have medical OCD so that played a factor.

I really like the iPhone protectors I got last year where when you pull back the underside, it picks up dust off the screen. That was amazing.
Do you have any suggestions? I've had crap luck with ESR products recently. I got their keyboard for the M2 and it was garbage. I got the case that supposedly works with the 13" M4 and it was for a 12.9" and would not fit. And I'm less than impressed with this temporary screen protector. I had an ESR protector on my M2 and it is the ONLY time in the history of my applying screen protectors that I managed to get a dust free application. But back then it had a yellow frame that you put on the iPad and you just popped the glass in it and it seated it perfectly.

DerMario

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I have the ESR and your see the difference between the glare of the cutout and the glare on the ESR.

Aren’t there Glasses with better antireflective coating?? So, not matte, bit more like the original glass

Reactions: emporiky

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Has anyone ordered a decent tempered glass for the new iPad Pros? I'm getting my 11" today and been looking for suggestions.

ESR seems a nice choise but if anyone has somenting else in mind, I'll love to read it. Thanks.
Honestly, ESR deteriorates display quality of my Apple products quite a bit

Brands like Spigen cost more but are definitely better

Reactions: transmaster

n1ghtrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
So, I just received the amFilm and it's absolutely fantastic..!

Easy installation and feels so smooth. I had to deal with some bubbles, but after some squeezing everything is like it should be.

Reactions: TwinCitiesJHawk

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The ESR is essentially a Mirror. It's pretty rough. Considering going protector less the first time. lol

Any good silk feel Tempered anti-glare out there? I can't believe how little these is for these iPads

Reactions: emporiky

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I have the ESR and your see the difference between the glare of the cutout and the glare on the ESR.

Aren’t there Glasses with better antireflective coating?? So, not matte, bit more like the original glass
Agreed, the reflections of the ESR screen protector are quite horrible and the difference between the cutout and the glass itself are significant.
So I am holding to the ESR glass in the meantime but looking for other options without cutout and with less glare... possibly Spigen?

Reactions: stephen1108

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i ordered the spigen on amazon. usually my go to. but the tray doesn’t fit the new ipad perfectly. you can move the tray all around. i tried to align it but it’s not completely translucent. long story short it was misaligned. i then bought the esr and i got a perfect install. much prefer the type of installation tray of the esr. and it comes with 2 so i’m good for a new install in a year or so.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The top makers of glass screen protectors make theirs with two pieces of tempered glass with layer of a plastic resin or polyvinyl butyral (PVB) between. You see a rating of 9H for this glass. What that means is with a 9H pencil you can scribble on this glass with without scratching it. I mention the Spigen installation fixture. This fixture insures the glass panel is properly installed every time.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
i ordered the spigen on amazon. usually my go to. but the tray doesn’t fit the new ipad perfectly. you can move the tray all around. i tried to align it but it’s not completely translucent. long story short it was misaligned. i then bought the esr and i got a perfect install. much prefer the type of installation tray of the esr. and it comes with 2 so i’m good for a new install in a year or so.
I am going to look as the ESR. I am still not sure if I am going to install a screen protector on this iPad I don't plan on taking it out wild.

Just took a look at the ESR. I does have a much better installation jig than the Spigen, thanks for the heads up 👍

Reactions: darrinS

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Just ordered the ESR don't know if I will use it but I will have it. The folio I ordered will not be shipped until the end of June so I will decide at that time. Thanks darrinS

Reactions: darrinS

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I just got the ESR for 13”. Quality is nowhere near as good as Spigen. Lots of bubbles upon installation even with the included frame. Seems like the ESR adhesive is just inconsistent.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I just got the ESR for 13”. Quality is nowhere near as good as Spigen. Lots of bubbles upon installation even with the included frame. Seems like the ESR adhesive is just inconsistent.
i had some bubbles too. wiped out what i could and the others disappeared within a few hours.

i agree, spigen has great quality glass but like i said before, at least for the 11” the tray is oversized. i found it impossible to align properly. when you place the tray on top of ipad, there was space to move in all directions. amazon reviews didn’t mention this so ymmv but they did report bubbles.

if you end up with bubbles just be patient. use your fingers to slide out. if you can’t slide to an edge, press down with your finger and hold for 30 seconds. and with your finger, using the tip (not your nails, the pad of the tip), keep sliding back and forth over the bubble. if you end up with a slight mark, that will disappear 🫥.

Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Same, Spigen all the way, have used them on all my devices and have had zero issues. And the self-install tool is great!
have you tried this with the new ipad pro 11”? i bought two and the frame on both was larger than the ipad. it wasn’t an exact fit. i wasn’t able to get a good install.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
FWIW, impossible to order either the Amorite ESR or the Spigen Glas.tR EZ Fit for 13” iPad Pro just now, both out of stock. I’ve used both brands, the ESR is certainly better value with two screens applicator for the price of one from Spigen. The Spigen diagonal applicator works better, I still can have troubles with bubbles from the ESR.

the5rivers

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
have you tried this with the new ipad pro 11”? i bought two and the frame on both was larger than the ipad. it wasn’t an exact fit. i wasn’t able to get a good install.
Yes I have the Spigen on both my 11 inch and 13 inch M4s. I had zero issues with install and they fit perfectly.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Normal ESR ones, slapped one on as soon as I got my M4 11" out of the box, looks like I got it installed without too much dust and aligned perfectly.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
There is a trick I learned years ago about getting a successful installation of protective glass screens, it is to wipe the screen down with 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol. I am not talking about the wimpy alcohol pads that come with the screen protectors I am talking about 32 oz bottles of 99.9% professional grade Isopropyl alcohol, and a soaked cotton ball. I first place the device, in my case up till now iPhones, on a damp kitchen towel this grounds out any possible static electricity build up that will suck in from several miles away that one cat hair that will ruin you installation. Wipe down the screen you know you are going it right when you have visible liquid alcohol on the screen as you wipe. With the screen wiped off just sit back and let the alcohol evaporate. When dry blow it off with a watchmakers blower and you will get a good installation of the screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.