Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I have an iPad Pro with the Apple Smart Keyboard. When it's just sitting there with the keyboard either behind the screen as a back cover or in stand mode, the screen will turn on intermittently. This can get annoying. As you can see by the video I'm posting, it sits next to my computer, so I'm constantly watching it come on and off. I wonder if this is a hardware issue with the iPads or the keyboards. My friend has an iPad Pro as well with a Smart Keyboard, has the same issue.

Here's the video:

Anyone else have this issue or noticed it?

mcvite

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
basingstoke,uk
I am not getting the same issues that you seem to be having mate, the problem I have it that the smart key board which is attached to my pro is the keys are talking with the iPad to be its a software update that might be needed to rectify this problem.
Hope you get your problem sorted out plus fingers cross apple might bring out a software update .

StuartL

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK
I've noticed the same sometimes when I've got the cover folded right back (keyboard not in use) and the iPad is laying face up. For me it seems to be environment based - happens in some places but not others. Enough movement/vibration nearby (someone walking past, leaning on desk etc...) to cause something like a sensitive key to be pressed enough under the weight of the iPad for it to register as a keypress and therefore wake the iPad up.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I've noticed the same sometimes when I've got the cover folded right back (keyboard not in use) and the iPad is laying face up. For me it seems to be environment based - happens in some places but not others. Enough movement/vibration nearby (someone walking past, leaning on desk etc...) to cause something like a sensitive key to be pressed enough under the weight of the iPad for it to register as a keypress and therefore wake the iPad up.

I thought of that, until I realized the Keyboard when folded back doesn't function because it's no longer connected.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Have an iPad pro with a smart keyboard. ALSO have the same issue. Weird how this doesn't seem to be news

Reactions: reden

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
Same here. There are actually a couple of other threads about this same problem. I brought mine in to the Genius Bar over the holidays and they swapped out my ASK, and it seemed to be fine. The problem started happening again a few weeks ago. Brought it in again and his time they're swapping out the IPP (they couldn't do it on the spot because they didn't have stock of my model). I'm curious to see whether this fixes the problem. If you're anywhere near an Apple Store, it might be worth bringing it in to them.

Reactions: reden

reden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Same here. There are actually a couple of other threads about this same problem. I brought mine in to the Genius Bar over the holidays and they swapped out my ASK, and it seemed to be fine. The problem started happening again a few weeks ago. Brought it in again and his time they're swapping out the IPP (they couldn't do it on the spot because they didn't have stock of my model). I'm curious to see whether this fixes the problem. If you're anywhere near an Apple Store, it might be worth bringing it in to them.

I might have to do this, since it drains my battery a lot faster.

Reactions: drewfus

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Is it possible that it's syncing with another Apple device, phone or desktop/laptop?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Same. Exactly as in the video though perhaps not as frequently. Not sure if it happens when the cover is closed over the screen, but it happens when the screen is uncovered. Not sure if it did this when I first got the keyboard though perhaps now I'm just noticing it more.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Have an iPad pro with a smart keyboard. ALSO have the same issue. Weird how this doesn't seem to be news
The typical cycle for reporting issues on Apple products...

1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
  2. No response from Apple
  3. Increased number of people report the issue
  4. No response from Apple
  5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
  6. Even more reports of the problem
  7. No response from Apple
  8. News of the problem hits blogs
  9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
  10. No response from Apple
  11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
  12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
  13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
  14. Apple apologists are silent
  15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
Hang in there, we're only between step #2 and #3. :)

Reactions: Ghost31

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009

5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens

Yep, that's exactly how it goes. You summed it up perfectly.

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015

So accurate it's scary

macboy24

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I'm so glad I found this thread as i thought something was wrong with my device. It does exactly the same thing and has only started since I got the Smart Keyboard.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I'm so glad I found this thread as i thought something was wrong with my device. It does exactly the same thing and has only started since I got the Smart Keyboard.

I really haven't had a chance to take it to the Apple store, and it's interesting you don't hear much about this issue anywhere else.

DrNelly

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
NJ
Having same issues as described on my IPP 128GB LTE. This is incredibly annoying specially due to battery drain when the Smart Keyboard acts as cover. It only happens when Smart keyboard is attached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.