Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
The Air now is a pretty compelling device IMHO, the M2 is still incredibly powerful (at least until they do something with iPadOS that requires more power, but that hasn't happened), you now have size options, the new Pencil Pro works with the Air (although the new keyboard does not) and it has the landscape camera. I kept my 2018 iPad Pro until now and upgrade to the 2024 iPad Pro... but had I gone with an Air right now I suppose I could afford to upgrade every 3 years for almost the same price as just getting the iPad Pro once for 6 years... I'm not sure OLED or M4 is worth it because by the OS really needs M4 you'll probably be buying the iPad Air in 3 years with M4/M5 anyway...

The Air does take a bit of the sting out of the price of the iPad Pro since they moved the Pro even farther upmarket. Last example... I "treated" myself to this iPad Pro to replace my 2018 iPad Pro... but my wife and two kids (college age) also have iPad Pros (2020, 21, and 22) and I justified those because it was "just" a couple hundred more to get the Pro. With these latest changes the Air would be more than capable for the rest of my family and the price delta wouldn't remotely be worth it, nor would they care.
The new iPad Air is a tremendous value now.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
The Air now is a pretty compelling device IMHO, the M2 is still incredibly powerful (at least until they do something with iPadOS that requires more power, but that hasn't happened), you now have size options, the new Pencil Pro works with the Air (although the new keyboard does not) and it has the landscape camera. I kept my 2018 iPad Pro until now and upgrade to the 2024 iPad Pro... but had I gone with an Air right now I suppose I could afford to upgrade every 3 years for almost the same price as just getting the iPad Pro once for 6 years... I'm not sure OLED or M4 is worth it because by the OS really needs M4 you'll probably be buying the iPad Air in 3 years with M4/M5 anyway...

The Air does take a bit of the sting out of the price of the iPad Pro since they moved the Pro even farther upmarket. Last example... I "treated" myself to this iPad Pro to replace my 2018 iPad Pro... but my wife and two kids (college age) also have iPad Pros (2020, 21, and 22) and I justified those because it was "just" a couple hundred more to get the Pro. With these latest changes the Air would be more than capable for the rest of my family and the price delta wouldn't remotely be worth it, nor would they care.
In November of 2022, I bought the 10th gen iPad (256GB, with cellular) because the landscape camera was a huge benefit, and I thought it would be enough performance for my usage (writing documents, emails, messages, YouTube, digital recipe book, sketchpad). It turns out, two years later, that my biggest complaint is the lack of RAM and not being able to use Stage Manager. I’m also torn on the screen size since, when I had a 12.9 inch iPad Pro before, I liked how it gave me more room to use apps and view content, but I find that it's too big to really be as versatile as I want it to be.

E2A: I do really like that the 13 inch Air would be compatible with the Magic Keyboard from the old iPad Pro, which I have two of, for some reason.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Makes sense. 8 GB will be fine for most people with modest needs.

Those who actually NEED more RAM and storage will order an iPad Pro with more RAM and storage. Choice is a good thing.
On Macs, Apple previously said that 15% use a pro app frequently, another 15% use a pro app a couple times a month. My expectation is those numbers are FAR lower on the iPad, maybe 5%-5%. The 8GB configuration is for the 90%. Maybe not many on these forums, but it’s well over the performance needs for all but 10%.

Reactions: citysnaps

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
On Macs, Apple previously said that 15% use a pro app frequently, another 15% use a pro app a couple times a month. My expectation is those numbers are FAR lower on the iPad, maybe 5%-5%. The 8GB configuration is for the 90%. Maybe not many on these forums, but it’s well over the performance needs for all but 10%.
Eventually, I would like to see iPad Pro base RAM / storage configs mirror MBP SKU's (18GB / 512GB SSD)

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
So you’re telling me that you’re fine with the idea Apple selling a Pro device with only 8GB Ram? Thanks to people like you Apple is offering M3 MacBook “Pro” with 8GB RAM :)

You may not be aware that Apple merely uses the word "Pro" as a way to tier products and features. One doesn't need to be a "professional" to purchase and use an MacBook Pro.

"Thanks to people like you Apple is offering M3 MacBook “Pro” with 8GB RAM "

No thanks necessary, but you're very welcome!

Having options is a good thing as many people don't need more than 8GB. Why make them pay extra for more memory that they'll never use?

If you need more memory, Apple has options available with more memory. Simply order your MacBook Pro with the memory you need.

Easy.

Reactions: hans1972

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011

Spot-on assessment! Thanks!

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
My M1 iPad Pro 1TB had more RAM than other M1 models. iPad Pro M4 is pricey for an upgrade, unless you have 2018 iPP.
I have a 2018 Pro and these give me nothing new. It’s still a large phone and nothing more.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Apple is a complete joke.

These devices are rip-offs but folks will pay for them.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
As a 2018 12.9 inch owner since day 1, I feel super priced out of this higher tier, i’m pretty firmly in the 256gb group as I haven’t even filled my current ipad onboard up yet lmao.

The temptation to upsell me is almost completely gone as it’s nearly $600 more, we’re in macbook pro territory. I don’t think i’ll feel the ram hit or the CPU hit here, but it sucks getting a “lesser” product for nearly $1500 even.
Yep. I’d like to get the cellular version, but that’s a steep premium of 250 €, and it doesn’t even support physical SIM cards anymore.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I was planning on the 1TB model but went with the 512 GB (which still should be fine for my needs) because the jump was insanely high in price, I want to say $500 between 512GB and 1TB! I guess the additional RAM and 10 core CPU is part of that cost now that I see this article but the Apple Store certainly doesn't make that clear... I'm almost glad I didn't see this before I ordered or I might have tried justifying the $500 because of the RAM/CPU differences, even though practically I can't imagine it will make a real difference day to day.
From 512 GB to 2TB it’s almost a thousand Euros here. While a top-of-the-line 2TB SSD costs less than 200 € in retail. It’s crazy.

oink_oink

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
You may not be aware that Apple merely uses the word "Pro" as a way to tier products and features. One doesn't need to be a "professional" to purchase and use an MacBook Pro.

"Thanks to people like you Apple is offering M3 MacBook “Pro” with 8GB RAM "

No thanks necessary, but you're very welcome!

Having options is a good thing as many people don't need more than 8GB. Why make them pay extra for more memory that they'll never use?

If you need more memory, Apple has options available with more memory. Simply order your MacBook Pro with the memory you need.

Easy.
Yes, they should offer 4GB Macbook Pros as the base. Choice is good, right?

The fact is that it's not so much 8gb that is objectionable. It's the laughable price they're charging for it.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
So you’re telling me that you’re fine with the idea Apple selling a Pro device with only 8GB Ram? Thanks to people like you Apple is offering M3 MacBook “Pro” with 8GB RAM :)
iPad Pro is just a marketing name. You can call it whatever you want. And you can get as much RAM as you want.

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, they should offer 4GB Macbook Pros as the base. Choice is good, right?

The fact is that it's not so much 8gb that is objectionable. It's the laughable price they're charging for it.

4GB wouldn’t be enough for the average non-tech consumer. 8GB is fine for the majority of Apple customers.

Too much money for you? Purchase a competitor tablet that’a more affordable .

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Love the faux outrage here, like this wasn’t the same exact thing with the M1 and M2 iPad Pros having tiered DRAM based on the storage size. Every time Apple releases new hardware, the same tired crowd comes out with the same tired complaints acting as though Apple has just done this and it’s completely unprecedented. None of you are very good actors, sorry.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2022
My M1 iPad Pro 1TB had more RAM than other M1 models. iPad Pro M4 is pricey for an upgrade, unless you have 2018 iPP.
Yeah. I have an old iPad Pro, which would benefit from being replaced. Not sure the jump from m2 (or even m1) to m4 would be enough for me.

I use my iPad a ton, but very little pushes the cpu. Perhaps only Civilisation and I can’t justify shelling out a ton to play games once or twice a year on this thing.

The one thing that could change the equation is the much faster ANE which should enable some very interesting new use cases. Now.. if only CoreML could catch up with CUDA.

Reactions: TechnoMonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.