Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No. Touch and pencil is the differentiator.
I understand it’s a tablet.. first and foremost, but as I said previously… portability caters to a tablet than laptop.

No but if so buy a Mac.
Who’s to say I’m right or wrong… it’s entirely up to the individual, I offered an opinion. And I believe that a larger screen iPad would be mostly docked to a keyboard/mouse… how am I wrong?

Reviewers always review iPad Pro with keyboard and trackpad. iPad is primarily for touch and pencil which reviewers has not grasped or they have no competence to review these features so they are reviewing tablets in laptop mode.
Good point. I’m currently using my iPad Pro in laptop mode… but I occasionally take it out of that mode in use it as a tablet. However, if I had a larger iPad Pro… using as a tablet will be used rarely.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
To use a clothing analogy I think of the iPad as a pair of skinny jeans - stylish, perfect for showing off your assets, ideally suited for a narrow set of situations, but a terrible choice if you want to carry a lot of stuff. Sure you could add a dongle aka Fanny pack, messenger bag, etc if you needed more space (ports). Meanwhile a windows laptop is like a pair of hiking cargo pants, unstylish, utilitarian, but can hold lots of stuff aka has a crap ton of ports for every use: usb-a, usb-c, thunderbolt, Ethernet, sd card, headphone, hdmi, Kensington lock.

Some people are skinny jeans folks and some value function over form

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
To use a clothing analogy I think of the iPad as a pair of skinny jeans - stylish, perfect for showing off your assets, ideally suited for a narrow set of situations, but a terrible choice if you want to carry a lot of stuff. Sure you could add a dongle aka Fanny pack, messenger bag, etc if you needed more space (ports). Meanwhile a windows laptop is like a pair of hiking cargo pants, unstylish, utilitarian, but can hold lots of stuff aka has a crap ton of ports for every use: usb-a, usb-c, thunderbolt, Ethernet, sd card, headphone, hdmi, Kensington lock.

Some people are skinny jeans folks and some value function over form
And that’s perfectly fine for all of the regular, mini and air iPad models. They’re fun, stylish, and colourful. However, these are pro iPads - professional jeans meant to be worn and used when working. Therefore they should at least have the option to have more pockets for the job.

I think valid arguments can be made for both sides - so in a perfect world Apple should just offer various iPad Pro models with various amounts of ports, in the same way they used to offer MBPs with either 2 or 4 ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaruLV

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks for the whole explanation 😉. But that’s the point I’m making… it’s how it’s physically used. A computer comes in many forms… an iPad by definition is a computer (however limited it might be in comparison to a Mac/PC), if I choose to attach a keyboard with it… I’m technically using it as a laptop. If I decide to hook it up via external monitor with mouse and keyboard… I’m using it as a desktop.
While »can it compute in any form«, »are I/O peripherals connected«, »is it placed ON a surface« as checkboxes look initially like a valid classifier - this is like: "when you hear hoof beats, think zebras, not horses." - it’s the inverse of Occam's razor! 🤓

IMHO it misses totally why computer exist in the first place:
the computational use IS the main thing that separates smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops, et cetera.

Yep, no doubt - members of one of these device classes can for sure occupy an "ecological niche" (or even several) of any of the others. And within this niche it will offer e.g. desktop-class experience, heck, might simply be better due to its interface properties on application level.
But this is clearly a case in which classical idioms enshrined in the general awareness aren’t applicable… they have to be modified:

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck we can probably assume we're in the presence of a member of the Anatidae family. Wether it’s a goose, a swan, a duck or even a member of the Anseranatidae isn’t defined by these descriptors."

Okay, quite a mouthfull 🤣… I beg the indulgence of the readers, it’s my first shot at an idiom… and english isn’t my first language. 🙃

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
I have not yet been able to find a usb c hub with an extra usb c port capable of powering a usb c external display.
Actually Targus (and probably a bunch of others) offers multi-port hubs with e.g. 2x USB-A and 2x USB-C with PD, Thunderbolt 3 compatible - any MiniDisplayPort display plugs right in…

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I understand it’s a tablet.. first and foremost, but as I said previously… portability caters to a tablet than laptop.

Who’s to say I’m right or wrong… it’s entirely up to the individual, I offered an opinion. And I believe that a larger screen iPad would be mostly docked to a keyboard/mouse… how am I wrong?

Good point. I’m currently using my iPad Pro in laptop mode… but I occasionally take it out of that mode in use it as a tablet. However, if I had a larger iPad Pro… using as a tablet will be used rarely.
If you use touch and pencil, it will not be in lap top mode. You are not wrong but neither am I. In my opinion, those who would buy a large iPad would probably do it for reading/annotation, drawing, photo retouching using pencil/touch and content consumption. None or these usages are particularly good in laptop mode.

I just do not see the iPad as laptop replacement (or vice versa) irrespective of size. A 14 inch would likely be slightly bigger then the 2017 12.9 which I use everywhere in the house. For work, I travel a lot, I will stick with the 12.9 but for home 14 inch.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If you use touch and pencil, it will not be in lap top mode. You are not wrong but neither am I. In my opinion, those who would buy a large iPad would probably do it for reading/annotation, drawing, photo retouching using pencil/touch and content consumption. None or these usages are particularly good in laptop mode.
But you responded with… no. Implying I was wrong.

So, by your logic… if I have my iPad Pro docked to a Magic Keyboard using touch and pencil, it’s not in lap top mode? From your opinion… I can do all those task on any iPad, but I do know there are some perks with choosing the 12.9” over any other iPad (3 column views on certain apps).

The point I’m making is… what’s the reason behind it? Now, if what @cupcakes2000 suggest… a larger iPad brings another port. Then yeah, I totally understand the move. But if I lose portability for the sake of more content shown on the screen… then, I personally don’t see that’s good enough.

I just do not see the iPad as laptop replacement (or vice versa) irrespective of size. A 14 inch would likely be slightly bigger then the 2017 12.9 which I use everywhere in the house. For work, I travel a lot, I will stick with the 12.9 but for home 14 inch.
But it is a laptop replacement if I’m using it as a laptop. Heck, that’s why the Smart Keyboard and Magic Keyboard exist… so someone can use it as a laptop replacement. If I buy a Smart Folio for my iPad… no keyboard or mouse and use it strictly for touch and pencil… it surrenders its use as a laptop replacement.

Reactions: TheSynchronizer

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Actually Targus (and probably a bunch of others) offers multi-port hubs with e.g. 2x USB-A and 2x USB-C with PD, Thunderbolt 3 compatible - any MiniDisplayPort display plugs right in…
PD doesn't cut it, I think.

I have this small usb c monitor which I can drive using a usb 3.0 cable, but it must be plugged into the usb-c port (it comes with a 2nd usb-c pd port which turns it on but doesn't transmit any data from my laptop). It has to be a usb-c port.

So if I connect it to my iPad, I am out of ports to charge it. The only solution so far seems to be to purchase the iPad magic keyboard which comes with its own charging port. I will try searching for that Targus brand you suggested, but so far, I am not optimistic. 😛

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
But you responded with… no. Implying I was wrong.

So, by your logic… if I have my iPad Pro docked to a Magic Keyboard using touch and pencil, it’s not in lap top mode?
Then the Magic keyboard works as a stand - so no.
But if I lose portability for the sake of more content shown on the screen… then, I personally don’t see that’s good enough.
The same applies to the 16 inch MBP and the reason it exist is because some application requires screen real estate also when you are on the move. Are you also questioning the existence of the 16 inch MBP?
But it is a laptop replacement if I’m using it as a laptop. Heck, that’s why the Smart Keyboard and Magic Keyboard exist… so someone can use it as a laptop replacement. If I buy a Smart Folio for my iPad… no keyboard or mouse and use it strictly for touch and pencil… it surrenders its use as a laptop replacement.
I fail to see the logic of buying an iPad and an MK and nearly always use it together. It’s like buying a iPad with a keyboard bolted to it which is the same as a laptop. Magic keyboard is great but there are too many people that scream murder when the iPad connected to keyboard and trackpad does not behave as a Mac laptop running MacOS.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
PD doesn't cut it, I think.

I have this small usb c monitor which I can drive using a usb 3.0 cable, but it must be plugged into the usb-c port (it comes with a 2nd usb-c pd port which turns it on but doesn't transmit any data from my laptop). It has to be a usb-c port.

So if I connect it to my iPad, I am out of ports to charge it. The only solution so far seems to be to purchase the iPad magic keyboard which comes with its own charging port. I will try searching for that Targus brand you suggested, but so far, I am not optimistic. 😛
The mentioned Targus hub can provide up to 100W pass thru - here is an Amazon link. Local shops in the neck of the world (scandinavia and germany) where I move often have in stock and - somewhat surprisingly - for a much lower price.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Then the Magic keyboard works as a stand - so no.
Umm… agree to disagree.

The same applies to the 16 inch MBP and the reason it exist is because some application requires screen real estate also when you are on the move. Are you also questioning the existence of the 16 inch MBP?
Better battery life and there’s a better cooling system on the 16 inch MBP…. So, there’s more to it than a bigger screen.

I fail to see the logic of buying an iPad and an MK and nearly always use it together. It’s like buying a iPad with a keyboard bolted to it which is the same as a laptop. Magic keyboard is great but there are too many people that scream murder when the iPad connected to keyboard and trackpad does not behave as a Mac laptop running MacOS.
Huh? Never said a user always have to use an iPad and MK together. But if I decide I want to use my iPad with MK as a laptop that option exist.

I can undock my iPad from the MK and use it as a tablet…. Shouldn’t be that hard to understand. And it’s simple, if I want to use macOS… I’ll buy a Mac. However, I prefer the iPad.

Reactions: iPadified
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.