Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
I have heard two different claims: international availability (without 3G) in 60 days... or, international availability in June (5 months).

Frankly, 5 months is pretty much to most utterly pathetic time frame I could possibly have imaged, but the UK site hasn't been updated and there's been no other indication as far as I can see.

Any ideas?

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
They said Simultaneous worldwide 60 days for WiFi 90 days for 3G. They did say something along the lines of Data plans being available worldwide in June, maybe thats what is being referred to?

I have an O2 Mobile Broadband Contract I don't use at all anymore that I can't cancel til April next year, kinda hoping I'll be able to get a mini-SIM to use in the iPad so shouldn't have to wait to find out the official offering (I hope)

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Deals for 3G with intl. carriers in June/July. But availability of unlocked 3G units in 90 days worldwide to use with any carrier providing you with a micro sim.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
“We will be shipping iPads in 60 days, worldwide availability of Wi-Fi models.”

International availability late-March for Wi-Fi only. 3G version will come June/July in international markets.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
apple-creation-0379-rm-eng.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Personally if they are sim free as jobs say's they are, then why do deals need to be in place before they ship the 3G versions.

I already have a 3G mobile data plan I could use, as do many others. Seems a little of a hindrance, and June/July is a good time away :(

I'll probably end up getting a 16GB wifi and pass it on 3 months later :D

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Personally if they are sim free as jobs say's they are, then why do deals need to be in place before they ship the 3G versions.

I already have a 3G mobile data plan I could use, as do many others. Seems a little of a hindrance, and June/July is a good time away :(

I'll probably end up getting a 16GB wifi and pass it on 3 months later :D

Maybe they are still trying to grab an exclusive with some carriers.

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
Did they definitely say June/July for the 3G model Internationally? I interpreted that to mean that Operator agreements would be in place then? I guess maybe we'll have a better idea after we've actually seen the Keynote first hand rather than via a blog?

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
I just watched the iPad Keynote and like SiPat says the 30 days is just for approval, at no point do they say the iPad with 3G won't be released worldwide at the same time, it is just stated they expect to have the 3G deals in place by June/July. I seriously hope they don't hold back on the 3G model internationally for the 3G deals (which may or may not be as good in the UK) but I guess we won't know for definite until the UK iPad site goes live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.