Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you had to choose between owning either an iPad or Mac, which would you go for?

• iPad

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • Mac

Votes: 84 70.0%

• Total voters

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have both and like both, but if I could only have one, it would be a Mac (laptop). With a laptop and an iPhone, my need for an iPad is not that high. Yes it’s still nice to have, and it does do some things better than either a laptop or phone, but of the three devices, I would lose the least by dropping the iPad.

Reactions: rulymammoth

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I hear a lot of people in these forums saying I can do 90-95% on an iPad.... The thing I wonder is, how many of those that say they can do 90% or more with an iPad actually use the iPad to earn most/all of their money.... And how many actually use a laptop/desktop for their job and don't factor that in simply because it's provided by their employer.... Or, simply don't work (anymore) or do a job that does not require any type of computing device...(or requires one only sporadically).
My guess is that the vast majority of people still work with a laptop/desktop and therefore most of their tablet usage is for something else (or, to some extent, as a companion to a laptop/desktop)

For me it is nothing for work really, although I could probably remote in from the iPad if I wanted to since that’s all I use my work laptop for. Remote into the beefy desktop on-site, I couldn’t use a Mac or a laptop to do any real work on the device to begin with so Apple devices are all for personal things for me.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I hear a lot of people in these forums saying I can do 90-95% on an iPad.... The thing I wonder is, how many of those that say they can do 90% or more with an iPad actually use the iPad to earn most/all of their money.... And how many actually use a laptop/desktop for their job and don't factor that in simply because it's provided by their employer.... Or, simply don't work (anymore) or do a job that does not require any type of computing device...(or requires one only sporadically).
My guess is that the vast majority of people still work with a laptop/desktop and therefore most of their tablet usage is for something else (or, to some extent, as a companion to a laptop/desktop)

That’s a fair point - my usage is not work.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
The way the question is posed with, “own”, probably leans replies toward personal computer vice work computer.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
MacBook air over the iPad gen 5 2017
becuz:
TYPING!​
less ads​
MORE SECURE​
longer chord​
Montréal​
usb​
i can switch hard drives and replace the batter as well-or a swell!​
but most important​
Ya cant drive and tweet on a macbook air!​
well, anymore!​

too bad TC has other concerns beside acknowledging these MacBooks were ever made or even exist today!

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I have both and like both, but if I could only have one, it would be a Mac (laptop). With a laptop and an iPhone, my need for an iPad is not that high. Yes it’s still nice to have, and it does do some things better than either a laptop or phone, but of the three devices, I would lose the least by dropping the iPad.

This. Exactly. iPad is the one device that's really not that needed. Just a nice to have. Give me a MacBook and an iPhone and I'm good to go.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I have an iPad mainly for the bedroom(and when I am sitting in my rocking chair) and an iMac for the living room.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
MacBook air over the iPad gen 5 2017
becuz:
TYPING!​
less ads
MORE SECURE
longer chord​
Montréal​
usb​
i can switch hard drives and replace the batter as well-or a swell!​
but most important​
Ya cant drive and tweet on a macbook air!​
well, anymore!​

too bad TC has other concerns beside acknowledging these MacBooks were ever made or even exist today!
You think a Mac is more secure and has less ads than an iPad?

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Why do you think Macs are more secure than iPads?
i get less ads on the macbook air, none using edge browser.
i get ads on twitter websites on the ipad with 2 ad blockers.
as far as security, they seem the same, but feel better on the macbook air.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I think you’re wrong. The tablets and phones are more secure than a desktop OS intended for any/all tasks. Just the fact that desktop OSes have the facility to run many types of user-generated scripts and have the concept of elevated privileges make them less secure.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The way the question is posed with, “own”, probably leans replies toward personal computer vice work computer.
Except that some people, like me, work on their own computers (all the freelancers and all the people that use their personal computer for their job, sometimes exclusively, sometimes in addition to their work desktop).
For people like us, who own our work computers, the lines are blurred. Maybe I am not in the majority, but with current work from home, I might even actually be (temporarily?) in the majority...
And that's probably also why people reply so differently to "can an iPad replace your laptop"? Because some include their work activity and some don't...
My guess is other that, except for a small minority of people, iPad cannot replace a laptop if it's for working needs...

Reactions: jeremiah256

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I voted for a Mac, only because iPadOS simply has too many limitations compared to OS X (or even Windows for that matter). The hardware is already powerful enough and if the new models are released with the rumored specs, it would be really frustrating to be so limited by the OS.

Reactions: thisismyusername

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have a iPad Air 4 for the bedroom and for Living room I have Mac mini M1 and MacBook Pro M1

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’d have to choose Mac because there are things I cannot do on an iPad that I need to do, while there’s not really anything an iPad can do that I can’t do with a MacBook, iPhone, and other peripherals, albeit maybe less ideally. In other words, for me, Mac is more about need while iPad is more about convenience.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Would I not need to be able to put the screen down flat in order to do anything resembling human handwriting? It would be interesting to see Apple approach this. One can but hope.

The iMac and Pro Display XDR (or less expensive Apple display) could use a hinge design that allows it to be tilted to a flat position like the Microsoft Surface Studio 2.

macOS on an iPad-like device is another option.
I’ve long dreamed of a portable Mac with pen input. I would take either a slate or a convertible form factor, but the latter would probably be more ideal for me.
For desktop, there are already Cintiqs that can be used with Macs so I’m not eagerly awaiting an Apple-made solution there. But I’d be very interested to see what Apple would come up with if they did.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
i get less ads on the macbook air, none using edge browser.
i get ads on twitter websites on the ipad with 2 ad blockers.
as far as security, they seem the same, but feel better on the macbook air.

What I like about iOS is the existence of apps like Tweetbot and Apollo, which make browsing websites like Twitter and Reddit so much better compared to their native web experience.

I remember when iOS 9 came out and it was amazing browsing safari and Tweetbot in split-screen mode on the sofa, with Protube streaming YouTube in PIP mode.

There’s just something more intimate about the iPad and the ability to launch apps by tapping on them with your finger that I don’t get on PCs.

I can’t explain it, but I feel it.

Last edited:

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
What I like about iOS is the existence of apps like Tweetbot and Apollo, which make browsing websites like Twitter and Reddit so much better compared to their native web experience.

I remember when iOS 9 came out and it was amazing browsing safari and Tweetbot in split-screen mode on the sofa, with Protube streaming YouTube in PIP mode.

There’s just something more intimate about the iPad and the ability to launch apps by tapping on them with your finger that I don’t get on PCs.

I can’t explain it, but I feel it.

You can use Apollo also on the M1 macs. Works fine!

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Except that some people, like me, work on their own computers (all the freelancers and all the people that use their personal computer for their job, sometimes exclusively, sometimes in addition to their work desktop).
For people like us, who own our work computers, the lines are blurred. Maybe I am not in the majority, but with current work from home, I might even actually be (temporarily?) in the majority...
And that's probably also why people reply so differently to "can an iPad replace your laptop"? Because some include their work activity and some don't...
My guess is other that, except for a small minority of people, iPad cannot replace a laptop if it's for working needs...
Probably true on how many, maybe most took it, and maybe I'm coming from some kind of privilege, but work provides a computer for working at home. That I use my own computer for work is an option that I have.

I chose iPad on the survey because I want my own personal computing device to be more than just a traditional, relatively bulky, computer. I put maximum mobility as a priority over traditional computing and the iPad fits that requirement.

Reactions: secretk

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
MacBook without a doubt.
1) Install Apps from anywhere, not locked down like IOS.
2) Multi user accounts so more than one person can share the device.
3) Scalable floating windows for simultaneous App usage.
4) Proper peripheral device support.
5) Proper file system as in macOS or Windows.
6) Being able to run VM.
7) Dual (or multi) boot capability for different OS's
8) Run Xcode
.....to name a few.

My 12" MacBook weighs less than an iPad with smart keyboard, so size and portability is also not a question for travel.

Reactions: secretk

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Probably true on how many, maybe most took it, and maybe I'm coming from some kind of privilege, but work provides a computer for working at home. That I use my own computer for work is an option that I have.

I chose iPad on the survey because I want my own personal computing device to be more than just a traditional, relatively bulky, computer. I put maximum mobility as a priority over traditional computing and the iPad fits that requirement.

But when you compare an iPad 12.9 with a Magic Keyboard, I find it more bulky than a MacBook Air.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
But when you compare an iPad 12.9 with a Magic Keyboard, I find it more bulky than a MacBook Air.
But, I'm restraining myself on this answer. Real world, I'm not limited, so I'm probably going for the 12.9" 2021 iPad, and fully agree, loaded it will be more bulk than a MacBook Air. Limited to only one device per the survey? It would be the 11" iPad Pro all day for exactly the reason you pointed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.