Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
In prior versions of Safari, I was somehow able to hide the tab bar. I don’t remember exactly where the setting was in the Safari settings, or what the wording was (tried to find a screenshot, but no luck). I just know that, when I opened new tabs, no tabs were actually shown on the UI. Instead, the only way to see what tabs were open was by pinching the window, by clicking the tabs button in the toolbar to “zoom out”, or by using the tabs menu in the sidebar (which I never use).

Anyone else notice this change?

BRussell

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2002
Yes, I’ve been looking for a fix for this. I do remember that it wasn’t obvious in the past how to hide it, so I’m not giving up hope yet.

dan.sarv

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2020
I came looking for a fix too. It seems there is none now. In Settings then Safari then in the Tabs box there used to be an option where you could toggle “Show Tab Bar“ on or off. I can’t believe they brought back the tab bar with no option to turn it off. Having all of the tabs showing like that looks incredibly busy and distracting. Years ago they had the tab bar looking like it does now. Then they gave us the option to turn it on or off. Then they gave us the option to show the little icons in each tab like they are now. Then they just got rid of the tab bar completely. Now it’s back and they got rid of the option to turn it on or off. Here‘s a link that shows where the option to turn it off was: https://www.howtogeek.com/711107/how-to-hide-the-tab-bar-on-safari-for-ipad-or-show-it/

Reactions: mkoesel

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Thanks for posting that link.

This seems like such a strange feature to remove. I can’t help but wonder if it was truly done intentionally. I can’t imagine it was adding much complexity to the app, and as long as it defaults to visible, it shouldn’t be a source of confusion for new users.

dan.sarv

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2020
Thanks for posting that link.

This seems like such a strange feature to remove. I can’t help but wonder if it was truly done intentionally. I can’t imagine it was adding much complexity to the app, and as long as it defaults to visible, it shouldn’t be a source of confusion for new users.
I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think they intended for it to come back. I think it’s a bug in 16.4. I submitted a bug report to their feedback site asking to get rid of it or at least add the setting back so that we can turn it off. Maybe you can submit a feedback request too. Here is their feedback site: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Reactions: mkoesel

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
I filled out a bug report. Ironically there is no option to select IPadOS 16.4 in the bug report form, which is itself a bug. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.