Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hello to all. i never had an iPad; whell, until the release of the mini.

I bought and still have the mini 2 and 3 both with LTE, to have the GPS functionality without a SIM card. Some time ago I add the mini 5, also with LTE, to the family.
On my point of view; 25 cm is the perfect size, for the best portability and usability on a tablet. So; as understandable, I don't have the slightest interest, on Air(s) or Pro(s).

Well, I'm rambling... the reason of my post is about iPadOS.

Why no "app drawer" functionality, as on the iOS?
The no more "the need" of pages and pages, of apps. This new addition is useful on the iPhone. It would also be very useful on the iPad.

Also; why no "widgets" functionality, placed where we want, as on iOS?
Widgets are limited to the home screen. This is also limiting the usability and functionality of the iPad; both for work and leisure moments.

Is there any work around to this on iPadOS?

Kind regards to all,
Me

asharmus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I really do hope they input App Drawers for the iPad. The widgets-anywhere would be a game-changer as well because of the pen functionality.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
On the widgets side I also dislike how Apple's native widgets take priority over 3rd party ones. I want to have battery icons as a widget on my home screen but I don't want it to be prioritized at the top of my column of widgets. It's going to take time for this stuff to develop I guess . . been using widgets on my Android phone ever since I can remember . . meh . . whatever . . I'm just thankful Apple finally saw value in widgets after several years.

Reactions: Ralfi

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
On the widgets side I also dislike how Apple's native widgets take priority over 3rd party ones. I want to have battery icons as a widget on my home screen but I don't want it to be prioritized at the top of my column of widgets. It's going to take time for this stuff to develop I guess . . been using widgets on my Android phone ever since I can remember . . meh . . whatever . . I'm just thankful Apple finally saw value in widgets after several years.
They don’t take priority. It’s just becuase the other apps haven’t updated to the new style widgets. Old style widgets stay at the bottom of the stack, but it has nothing to do with first or third party

Reactions: brucemr and Ralfi

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
They don’t take priority. It’s just becuase the other apps haven’t updated to the new style widgets. Old style widgets stay at the bottom of the stack, but it has nothing to do with first or third party

Glad to hear. Given that devs had little time to submit official updates prior to release I'm sure things will improve soon then.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Probably cause if you change from from portrait to landscape, your homescreen would shift weirdly with the widgets.

Not that they can't do it, they just need to find a way, whether its switching to a square grid or something else.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
I found IpadOS14 extremely underwhelming. Like you mentioned, no app drawer or widgets (or freely placeable widgets) was a shock to me as I had no idea they were being excluded. Scribble is a novelty and I can easily take it or leave it. Nothing done to enhance keyboard or mouse functionality. Nothing done to improve multitasking. The Pencil still can’t bring up the slide over apps, or the app tray.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Probably cause if you change from from portrait to landscape, your homescreen would shift weirdly with the widgets.

Not that they can't do it, they just need to find a way, whether its switching to a square grid or something else.

This might really have a lot to do with it. Those of us who have "Plus" iPhones have lost the ability to make our home screens go landscape. It seems that they haven't figured out a way to have a home screen with widgets shift between portrait and landscape, which is a very necessary feature for iPads.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
This might really have a lot to do with it. Those of us who have "Plus" iPhones have lost the ability to make our home screens go landscape. It seems that they haven't figured out a way to have a home screen with widgets shift between portrait and landscape, which is a very necessary feature for iPads.
My 8 plus still changes my Home Screen to landscape. The first few betas didn’t let it, but then started again. I really hate the fact it goes to landscape and messes with the order of everything.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello to all. i never had an iPad; whell, until the release of the mini.

I bought and still have the mini 2 and 3 both with LTE, to have the GPS functionality without a SIM card. Some time ago I add the mini 5, also with LTE, to the family.
On my point of view; 25 cm is the perfect size, for the best portability and usability on a tablet. So; as understandable, I don't have the slightest interest, on Air(s) or Pro(s).

Well, I'm rambling... the reason of my post is about iPadOS.

Why no "app drawer" functionality, as on the iOS?
The no more "the need" of pages and pages, of apps. This new addition is useful on the iPhone. It would also be very useful on the iPad.

Also; why no "widgets" functionality, placed where we want, as on iOS?
Widgets are limited to the home screen. This is also limiting the usability and functionality of the iPad; both for work and leisure moments.

Is there any work around to this on iPadOS?

Kind regards to all,
Me
Yeah I was pretty disappointed when I didn’t see App Library on iPad OS 14, as well as not being able to put widgets the way we want which I love on iOS 14. Hopefully we will get all this on iPad OS, my assumption is that Apple are working on far mor elaborate versions of these features for iPad OS, just an assumption though.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
While I understand the issues caused by orientation changing, that doesn’t explain why the widget column is only available on one screen, isn't persistent in portrait, or why we can’t have different widgets on each screen.

Reactions: psac

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My 8 plus still changes my Home Screen to landscape. The first few betas didn’t let it, but then started again. I really hate the fact it goes to landscape and messes with the order of everything.
I had a plus phone and was annoyed by the lack of landscape support on Apple’s main apps like Music and Podcasts. So in the end I just ended up using landscape in the same way I do on my current XR.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010

I'd wondered about that the other day. But the old 2016 iPad I have next to me (running iPadOS14) uses a 6x5 icon grid whether in portrait or landscape, so it can't be as simple as that - unless they've not figured out how to rescale the widgets when changing orientation.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Missing iPad Features:
- Calculator
- Emoji Search
- Health App
- Weather
- Translate App
- Low Power Mode
- Widget placement
- App Library

Every upgrade seems to add to the list so at this point you have to wonder, did they split iPadOS in order to grow the iPad or was it to make it easier to leave iPads behind.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Missing iPad Features:
- Calculator
- Emoji Search
- Health App
- Weather
- Translate App
- Low Power Mode
- Widget placement
- App Library

Every upgrade seems to add to the list so at this point you have to wonder, did they split iPadOS in order to grow the iPad or was it to make it easier to leave iPads behind.

Great list! I remember being really confused why I couldn't find lower power mode.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Missing iPad Features:
- Calculator
- Emoji Search
- Health App
- Weather
- Translate App
- Low Power Mode
- Widget placement
- App Library

I think they separated them so people would look at it as distinct OS differences, as opposed to why is one OS different on two devices. But this goes both ways, my iPhone XR is missing system-wide landscape support despite there being no technical reason for it and it took this long for iPhones, even the largest ones, to get PIP which was already on the iPad.

I think the Translate app is only on the iPhone because its main purpose is to assist in conversations with other people when the chances of your using an iPad are pretty minimal.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
App Library isn’t an issue for me, as I’d organised my Apps in Folders already, but I’d really appreciate more Apps to be updated to IOS14, so that I can set their order in the Today View.

I do like the way you can customise & stack supported Apps though, saving space in Today View.

57BF1C41-8F0D-41A7-89AC-D01EB9D82C84.png D5C5D559-4246-4DB5-8BA1-ABAF20141133.png 6FE4E565-3387-4D98-98D5-2AA2780584A2.png

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I think they separated them so people would look at it as distinct OS differences, as opposed to why is one OS different on two devices. But this goes both ways, my iPhone XR is missing system-wide landscape support despite there being no technical reason for it and it took this long for iPhones, even the largest ones, to get PIP which was already on the iPad.

I think the Translate app is only on the iPhone because its main purpose is to assist in conversations with other people when the chances of your using an iPad are pretty minimal.

It's this kind of bollocks that I dislike with Apple. They should not be the ones who decide whether I am going to use the apps or not. Since there is no technical reason preventing you from using them, if they are not going to do an iPad version then just let me run the phone version as a floating window type app for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.