Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Missing iPad Features:
- Calculator
- Emoji Search
- Health App
- Weather
- Translate App
- Low Power Mode
- Widget placement
- App Library

Every upgrade seems to add to the list so at this point you have to wonder, did they split iPadOS in order to grow the iPad or was it to make it easier to leave iPads behind.

Calculator omission is an embarrassment.
Heck even my my Casio Watch from the 80’s has one.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hello to all. i never had an iPad; whell, until the release of the mini.

I bought and still have the mini 2 and 3 both with LTE, to have the GPS functionality without a SIM card. Some time ago I add the mini 5, also with LTE, to the family.
On my point of view; 25 cm is the perfect size, for the best portability and usability on a tablet. So; as understandable, I don't have the slightest interest, on Air(s) or Pro(s).

Well, I'm rambling... the reason of my post is about iPadOS.

Why no "app drawer" functionality, as on the iOS?
The no more "the need" of pages and pages, of apps. This new addition is useful on the iPhone. It would also be very useful on the iPad.

Also; why no "widgets" functionality, placed where we want, as on iOS?
Widgets are limited to the home screen. This is also limiting the usability and functionality of the iPad; both for work and leisure moments.

Is there any work around to this on iPadOS?

Kind regards to all,
Me
it'll come out next year for sure.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Well of course you can do it on both and I never suggested it was an iPad specific feature; I was addressing the desire for quick calculator access on the iPad without resorting to an app.

When I read your statement I thought you were arguing that it wasn't needed on an iPad because you can do calculations with spotlight search.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When I read your statement I thought you were arguing that it wasn't needed on an iPad because you can do calculations with spotlight search.
Sorry I wasn't clear. On the iPad I don't see the need for an Apple calculator app because there are plenty of free ones available, but I would still like a Control Center calculator.

That being said, you can do calculations in spotlight search which provides the non-app calculator functionality. You can access it anywhere by CMD+Space, or create a gesture or shortcut to access it anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Sorry I wasn't clear. On the iPad I don't see the need for an Apple calculator app because there are plenty of free ones available, but I would still like a Control Center calculator.

That being said, you can do calculations in spotlight search which provides the non-app calculator functionality. You can access it anywhere by CMD+Space, or create a gesture or shortcut to access it anywhere.

This is the most common reply when challenged why the iPad doesn't have a calculator. Sorry, but we need to stop being Apple apologists and demand better. The iPad is a frickin' computer. Every computer since it's invention had one! It's not about the cost of an app, but the principled belief that this $1000+ productivity tool should come with a calculator.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Missing iPad Features:
- Calculator
- Emoji Search
- Health App
- Weather
- Translate App
- Low Power Mode
- Widget placement
- App Library

Every upgrade seems to add to the list so at this point you have to wonder, did they split iPadOS in order to grow the iPad or was it to make it easier to leave iPads behind.

Yes - baffling how a smaller-screen phone somehow needs more power user features than a tablet.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
This is the most common reply when challenged why the iPad doesn't have a calculator. Sorry, but we need to stop being Apple apologists and demand better. The iPad is a frickin' computer. Every computer since it's invention had one! It's not about the cost of an app, but the principled belief that this $1000+ productivity tool should come with a calculator.
My basic Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet comes with a good calculator. Apple’s defense in why they don’t include a calculator is just nonsense.

Reactions: calstanford

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Didn’t know that - thanks! It also understands parentheses and order of operations.
Also works on OS X Spotlight.

The most common and tired response to not placing the same priority on an issue is "Apple apologist"; it's right up there with fanboy and hater and truly a weak argument.

To clarify, I don't need Apple to make a calculator app because I never use the iPhone Calculator app; that app is hidden from sight in the third window of a folder and its literally been years since I've used it. What I do want is the Control Center calculator because I use that since it is accessible everywhere including the lockscreen. But I guess you missed that part of my post in your rush to call me an Apple apologist.
[automerge]1601229890[/automerge]

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Well of course you can do it on both and I never suggested it was an iPad specific feature; I was addressing the desire for quick calculator access on the iPad without resorting to an app.

Apple is all about experience, hence this one needs improvement. I’d rather work with an app personally.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sure. It’s silly the iPad doesn’t include a calculator app, but I just don’t see it as a big deal when you can download a free one from the store.

Last edited:

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I ignored App Library because it felt like a redundant feature. But I tried it out and, along with stackable widgets, then now my phone workflow is so much cleaner and more efficient. I definitely feel this is a pretty big “missing feature” from the iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterSavage

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm very glad not to have the app library on iPadOS (I started the thread "the App Library: I hate it" :)). As useless as it is on iOS, it would be even more so on iPadOS, where we can fit a ton of icons on every home screen. However, the ability to put widgets among the home screen icons makes MORE sense on the iPad than iPhone for the same reason - lots of extra space to play with.

(to be clear, I think the app library should be available on both iOS and iPadOS but should be able to be turned off/hidden. In the absence of the ability to turn it off, I'm glad it's excluded from iPadOS.)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I ignored App Library because it felt like a redundant feature. But I tried it out and, along with stackable widgets, then now my phone workflow is so much cleaner and more efficient. I definitely feel this is a pretty big “missing feature” from the iPad.
100% with you on all parts.

Reactions: KittyKatta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.