Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 11 OR iPhone SE + iPad Mini 5

• Total voters

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
FYI: the Best Buy sale on iPad mini is $70 off 64 and $100 off 256, both WiFi and cellular models.

edit: oops, OP is in the UK? So this sale is useless. I also recommend Apple refurbished on their website, lower price, but new battery and same warranty as new and you can add AppleCare. I assume they do this in the UK as well? (Refurbished stock varies.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
FYI: the Best Buy sale on iPad mini is $70 off 64 and $100 off 256, both WiFi and cellular models.

edit: oops, OP is in the UK? So this sale is useless. I also recommend Apple refurbished on their website, lower price, but new battery and same warranty as new and you can add AppleCare. I assume they do this in the UK as well? (Refurbished stock varies.)
Been keeping my eye on the Apple UK refurb store but stocks haven't been around for weeks on the ipad Mini wifi 64gb Space grey sadly. Will keep on checking daily.....

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
It’s the same here, looks like a few 256GB options.

Also watch for sales, it’s been out long enough sometimes a sale price will take a new one down close to refurbished price.
[automerge]1587734738[/automerge]
Meant to post this the other day...
First review I’ve seen that compares cameras:
BBFB4323-B013-42C6-81C6-56A29F3255D8.png
FC485215-1FFE-470C-9623-AEED1358BC4B.png
Source:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
OK so I've decided the 11 still isn't for me. I don't like the feel in hand or narrower display. So this also rules out the SE 2020, I can't see me being happy with a smaller display.

I've managed to find a brand new 8 plus 128gb for £500.....now not sure if I should just try and get through the next 5 months on my 7 plus until the 12 series. Gaaa ?‍♂️

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Is there any hints that the 12 series OLED's won't have the PWM issue? Unless they solve it, it'd be better getting the 8 plus, and then trading it in next year for the rumoured SE + assuming that's also LCD.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
If you don’t like the 11 you probably won’t like the 12. I doubt there will be an SE plus model, it would have been out same time as the SE. Any rumors about an SE plus are probably wishful thinking, or, like people wanted a new 4” SE and instead got one based on iPhone 8, since the rumors point to a year away, it could be something else, and probably is. But, I was wrong about the MacBook Air, I thought Apple left that design behind, and they actually updated it, so, I could be wrong.

An 8 plus may be an improvement over your 7 plus, (for some reason I thought you had 6s plus when I posted the pics), but, you’re only going from A10 to A11 and adding wireless charging. You should try getting an SE in your hand and see if the screen size is too unbearable for phone/text etc., if reading is the reason, you could zoom. The iPad mini 5 is just wonderful. It’s very thin and light, laminated screen (low glare, great color, but not OLED), you could maybe even bring it with you, if you have personal hotspot on your phone service or WiFi where you’d use it.
[automerge]1588729923[/automerge]
You can text, take phone calls, etc. on the iPad also, just have to have iPhone on same WiFi or iPad using personal hotspot (tethered).

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
The true replacement for your iPhone is the Pro Max but since PWM is an issue, it’s better you fork your usage to two devices.

Socials and General communications through your SE while reading and consumption on your iPad Mini.

Both are at 326ppi though and not 401 like your iPhone 7 Plus.

I’m telling you now as an 11 user that you won’t get the same usage satisfaction that you have right now with 7 Plus If you rely solely on the iPhone 11 so its better to have two devices to balance each other out. Don’t wait for iPhone 12 as they’re rumoured to go all-OLED.

EDIT: You went iPhone 8 Plus? I’m slightly disappointed. While the screen is good, specs are already considered middle of the road for 2020. You would have gotten more years out of A13 + A12 combo with an SE and iPad Mini/Air Not to mention taking full advantage of the Apple ecosystem. Don’t get me started on camera improvements you’re missing out on.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You can text, take phone calls, etc. on the iPad also, just have to have iPhone on same WiFi or iPad using personal hotspot (tethered).
If you have Wi-Fi calling and SMS forwarding enabled on your iPhone, you can do all those on the iPad as long as it has an internet connection. I always get cellular iPads and that's saved me a few times when I forget my phone at home. Before Wi-Fi calling was available, I'd use FaceTime audio (perk of everyone in my family using iOS).

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
OK so I've decided the 11 still isn't for me. I don't like the feel in hand or narrower display. So this also rules out the SE 2020, I can't see me being happy with a smaller display.

I've managed to find a brand new 8 plus 128gb for £500.....now not sure if I should just try and get through the next 5 months on my 7 plus until the 12 series. Gaaa ?‍♂️
Where did you manage to find a brand new 8 plus? I’m in the uk and looking for a brand new one and can’t find one anywhere all out of stock everywhere I have looked.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

Definitely wait for the 12. That’s too much to pay for an 8+ at this time, plus you will most likely have buyers remorse. If you don’t like the 12, you can get an 8+ then for even cheaper. If you get the 8+ now, you’re going to lose money if you trade it in for a 12. Or you will be looking at all the 12 news and being full of resentment.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Where did you manage to find a brand new 8 plus? I’m in the uk and looking for a brand new one and can’t find one anywhere all out of stock everywhere I have looked.
Hi, sent you a PM.
[automerge]1588761396[/automerge]
The true replacement for your iPhone is the Pro Max but since PWM is an issue, it’s better you fork your usage to two devices.

Socials and General communications through your SE while reading and consumption on your iPad Mini.

Both are at 326ppi though and not 401 like your iPhone 7 Plus.

EDIT: You went iPhone 8 Plus? I’m slightly disappointed. While the screen is good, specs are already considered middle of the road for 2020. You would have gotten more years out of A13 + A12 combo with an SE and iPad Mini/Air Not to mention taking full advantage of the Apple ecosystem. Don’t get me started on camera improvements you’re missing out on.

I haven't bought the 8 Plus, yet. I have totally paused while I'm considering if buying a nearly 3 year old phone is a good idea. On paper it's not, but Apple have left me with very little in the way of choice.

Pro series - out
XR and 11 - out
8 Plus or SE 2020 - Maybe.

No doubt I'll procrastinate until all 8 plus stock is gone.....?‍♂️

Last edited:

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Hi, sent you a PM.

I haven't bought the 8 Plus, yet. I have totally paused while I'm considering if buying a nearly 3 year old phone is a good idea. On paper it's not, but Apple have left me with very little in the way of choice.

Pro series - out
XR and 11 - out

No doubt I'll procrastinate until all 8 plus stock is gone.....?‍♂️
Pm you.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi, sent you a PM.

Pro series - out
XR and 11 - out

No doubt I'll procrastinate until all 8 plus stock is gone.....

Get the new SE and a smart battery case until the new models come out then see if there’s anything that betters that combo.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Got my iPad Mini 5 shortly after release. Don’t want a big phone otherwise
i would’ve got a bigger iPad. If they get closer in size my iPad would probably be less appealing. iPhone SE for wife and I should be showing up tomorrow. (What ups says).,

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Okay, I'm still on the 7 plus (now on its second battery) and I still can't use any of Apples OLED phones due to PWM (If I could I'd have an 11 Pro Max in a heartbeat). My 7 plus is feeling slow, constantly drops wifi and its looking a little tatty. I'm more than ready for a change.

I'm no fan of the lower resolution on the iphone 11, I can see the difference from my 1080p Plus especially on text. But with the no show for the SE Plus, Apple has made it clear to me that I have to compromise.

So my considered options are now:
1. Iphone 11
2. Iphone SE and an ipad Mini 5
3. Wait some more.....?

I do all of my mobile computing, while away from the desktop, on my iPhone 7 plus. So the 11 could be a direct replacement.

The SE (Gen 2) option would be my mobile, light in the pocket device, and the ipad mini 5 could do the heavier surfing when at home due to larger display.

The refurb store quickly had the 8 plus inventory depleted with its price drop so that's not an option.

What do you think? I'm not really loving my options but needs must. Hoping to talk it out again. Thanks all.
If you don't mind carrying 2 devices, the SE + mini 5 are awesome combo. The SE handles quick activities on the-go with its smaller form factor, while the mini can handle more complex stuff while you're sitting at a cafe or whatnot.

However, if you prefer having a single device, I would consider the iPhone 11. But it sounds like that's not a contender anymore. An 8 Plus would still be a decent phone (plus you'll get the landscape home screen just like your 7 Plus), although value wise it's not easy to recommend as the price might be more expensive than even the SE despite the older internals. I wish Apple implement the Plus' UI (eq. landscape home screen, some apps showing extended UI, etc) for all iPhones sizes.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Still on the fence. I know you can believe it! ?‍♂️. Apple have made it slightly harder as the refurbished store in the UK has been getting regular stock of the 2018 ipad pros, ipad mini 5 and now the iphone XR.

Now I'm considering:

1. Ipad Mini 5 64gb wifi (refurbished) + SE 2020 128gb = £808

OR

2. Ipad Pro 11" 2018 64gb (refurbished) + Smart keyboard + XR 128gb (refurbished) = £1237

I'm really making it difficult because really these are two very different setups. Because I've been undecided for so long I don't know what I need/want anymore.

I was pretty set on the Mini 5 and SE combination (very mobile, replaces my 7 plus fully, familiar design and setup) until my head was turned using an ipad pro 12.9" with AMK this week. While I don't really like the AMK for a few reason (yes price is one) I liked using a large screen ipad when setup on the table. Now the 12.9" is too big and heavy for me, I'd prefer to keep the ipad as a touch first device so the 11" is a better fit. It's impressive tech, the screen did blow me away.

If I was to get a face ID ipad it seems to fit better (in my head) to have a face ID phone. As the XR refurbished is a good chunk of change cheaper than a new iPhone 11 and basically the same price as a SE 2020 128gb this has me considering this as an option. I'm thinking newer design language is better for the long haul.......?

I didn't love the iphone 11 and at nearly £800 it needed to impress in order to replace my 7 plus. It didn't and was returned. The excitement on the internet for the SE 2020 drew me in but it would really only be purchased as a set and forget device as the ipad mini would be used for surfing, email and media consumption. That kinda makes the SE 2020 seem a little boring and maybe a little too pricey for this task. But the size in my pocket is the really appealing factor combined with the latest processor making it (on paper) twice as fast as the XR. So does this make the XR a bad choice? It's bigger + slower, but it's all screen with face ID.

I can't bring myself to buy all of these products and do a face off, losers are returned so I just gotta pick one combination and live with it right? Need to thrash it out some more.....thanks for listening ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.