Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Hi all,

I received a replacement 11 Pro Max last week for an unrelated problem.

I went to use the phone at night and noticed a green line with low brightness and reduce white point enabled.

I contacted Apple who told me to send it in, which I did. I was told they could not replicate the issue so sent the phone back to me.

I received the phone and was told it should be ok. I tried it and noticed the same issue. Contacted support and after a 40 minute discussion over the phone, the only two options I was left with was to try and factory reset it and hope that it is software related or probably then send it in for a repair again and hope they notice the issue this time.

I'm left wondering, should I pursue them or just keep it? Find attached photos below.

I should note that during the day the problem is not obvious, and during the night is only evident on darker backgrounds. First image is on a solid grey background.

Attachments

• Uniformity.PNG
    Uniformity.PNG
    120.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Uniformity 2.jpg
    Uniformity 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 171
  • uniformity3.jpg
    uniformity3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 175

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
To me that looks like you got a refurbished replacement that had screen burn in. Personally I wouldn’t be happy with that but that’s for each individual to decide on their own.

If that is in fact screen burn in they definitely should not be passing that on to you. And if that’s from the factory they also should not be releasing that screen to the public.

I would try and go into the store if possible, and show them in person. Although it’s quite bright in their stores so it might be hard to show.

The phone should function long term with no issues but visually it’s flawed.

Reactions: LFC2020

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
To me that looks like you got a refurbished replacement that had screen burn in. Personally I wouldn’t be happy with that but that’s for each individual to decide on their own.

If that is in fact screen burn in they definitely should not be passing that on to you.
The model number suggests it's a replacement as opposed to a refurb. 3utools suggests it's fully original (I believe).

I'm not sure if it's screen burn in - there's no persistent image, only those green parts on low brightness. Possibly looks red due to the fact I took the photo with an iPhone 7.

The closest store is quite far to me. I've got 1 month left on the limited warranty. Due to UK consumer laws, if I went to a store in 6 months would they entertain the idea?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
The model number suggests it's a replacement as opposed to a refurb. 3utools suggests it's fully original (I believe).

I'm not sure if it's screen burn in - there's no persistent image, only those green parts on low brightness. Possibly looks red due to the fact I took the photo with an iPhone 7.

The closest store is quite far to me. I've got 1 month left on the limited warranty. Due to UK consumer laws, if I went to a store in 6 months would they entertain the idea?
Burn in doesn’t usually show a well defined image. It’s usually a one color blurry shape that is persistent but isn’t always seen. It depends what colors is showing and the degree of burn in intensity. If you always see that green line in the right light settings then there’s an issue. You don’t see it during the day because the ambient light is too great.

Maybe it’s not burn in. It could just be terrible uniformity. You’ll have to decide if it’s acceptable. If you only have 1 month of warranty to fix it. Now is the time.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Burn in doesn’t usually show a well defined image. It’s usually a one color blurry shape that is persistent but isn’t always seen. It depends what colors is showing and the degree of burn in intensity. If you always see that green line in the right light settings then there’s an issue. You don’t see it during the day because the ambient light is too great.

Maybe it’s not burn in. It could just be terrible uniformity. You’ll have to decide if it’s acceptable. If you only have 1 month of warranty to fix it. Now is the time.
The problem is I already sent it into Apple, and they told me they were unable to replicate the issue. While the process is good, it's some effort sending it off and being without it. There's also the issue of them damaging it, I noticed one very tiny mark on the screen afterwards (I put a screen protector on and I can't see it now).

That green line is visible on like 5% brightness, more evident with reduce white point on and in pitch dark.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Isn't that kind of dim? Do you really use the phone on 5% brightness?
Good point! Not for most of the time, no. I should also say that it does depend on the background, lighter colours tend not to show it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The thing is, you can search for combinations of color, brightness, and background lighting looking for problems–and you'll probably find something. You must consider how the screen looks under normal conditions.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
The thing is, you can search for combinations of color, brightness, and background lighting looking for problems–and you'll probably find something. You must consider how the screen looks under normal conditions.
Very true. I'm maybe just being pedantic.

If I did push Apple Support, could they send me another replacement instead of just sending my phone in and wait for it to return? The agent I spoke to last time told me they could do this by putting a hold on my card but then told me they didn't actually offer that for this type of repair.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all,

I received a replacement 11 Pro Max last week for an unrelated problem.

I went to use the phone at night and noticed a green line with low brightness and reduce white point enabled.

I contacted Apple who told me to send it in, which I did. I was told they could not replicate the issue so sent the phone back to me.

I received the phone and was told it should be ok. I tried it and noticed the same issue. Contacted support and after a 40 minute discussion over the phone, the only two options I was left with was to try and factory reset it and hope that it is software related or probably then send it in for a repair again and hope they notice the issue this time.

I'm left wondering, should I pursue them or just keep it? Find attached photos below.

I should note that during the day the problem is not obvious, and during the night is only evident on darker backgrounds. First image is on a solid grey background.

Woah! That is pretty annoying!

I myself sometimes use my phone in the dark as we have planned blackouts here in South Africa that are currently being implemented and I would be super angry if I had to deal with a display like that on my 11 Pro Max.

My Galaxy S4 back in 2013/2014 once came back from a screen repair with an unbalanced screen similar to this and it drove me nuts for a while.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Woah! That is pretty annoying!

I myself sometimes use my phone in the dark as we have planned blackouts here in South Africa that are currently being implemented and I would be super angry if I had to deal with a display like that on my 11 Pro Max.

My Galaxy S4 back in 2013/2014 once came back from a screen repair with an unbalanced screen similar to this and it drove me nuts for a while.
Would you persist at Apple then if you were me? Aha

Reactions: Tsepz

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I would. If your prior phone did not do this, and it's noticeable as you're using it, then yes. I would.
My prior 11 pro max indeed did not experience this. However, I feel I am being somewhat pedantic. Also the stress of whether they can identify the issue or not (I can’t get to an Apple store).

When they sent the device back last week, I noticed under a bright light two very tiny marks on the screen.

I’ll probably message them in the next day or so to get another phone call booked.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
My prior 11 pro max indeed did not experience this. However, I feel I am being somewhat pedantic. Also the stress of whether they can identify the issue or not (I can’t get to an Apple store).

When they sent the device back last week, I noticed under a bright light two very tiny marks on the screen.

I’ll probably message them in the next day or so to get another phone call booked.
It's an expensive device. At least to me it is. You sent it in for a completely different reason and it came back with another flaw(s). I would definitely be in touch with Apple as soon as possible. But that's just me.

Reactions: JAllen2021

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
It's an expensive device. At least to me it is. You sent it in for a completely different reason and it came back with another flaw(s). I would definitely be in touch with Apple as soon as possible. But that's just me.
I completely agree. It SHOULD be perfect. I'll chat them to arrange another phone session.

Reactions: DevinNj

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I completely agree. It SHOULD be perfect. I'll chat them to arrange another phone session.
I can clearly see the issue. Get on Apples case and make sure they take care of it. You paid good money for that phone and this is clearly not of your doing.

Any time I had any issue with my apple devices, Apple always made good with me (and this was just under the basic 1 year warranty). I hope you get it taken care of,

cheers.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I can clearly see the issue. Get on Apples case and make sure they take care of it. You paid good money for that phone and this is clearly not of your doing.

Any time I had any issue with my apple devices, Apple always made good with me (and this was just under the basic 1 year warranty). I hope you get it taken care of,

cheers.
Indeed! If they ask me to send it back, should I? It's just the risk of them damaging worries me (or leave my screen protector on?)

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Indeed! If they ask me to send it back, should I? It's just the risk of them damaging worries me (or leave my screen protector on?)
I would send it back. Use the screen protector. It’s just a shame you can’t go to a store which is how I was able to have my issues taken care of. I know it’s a hassle, but they should take care of you and this issue. I personally wouldn’t stand for that.

cheers

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I would send it back. Use the screen protector. It’s just a shame you can’t go to a store which is how I was able to have my issues taken care of. I know it’s a hassle, but they should take care of you and this issue. I personally wouldn’t stand for that.

cheers
Spent an hour on the phone for them to tell me to take it to an Apple store at the end of the month after lockdown ends...that is what I will have to do.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Likely at the repair shop the technician doesn't have access to a pitch black room or the desire to find one. The verdict of "can't replicate problem" likely is because they never looked at it in a dark room and as you've said , screen looks fine in a lit room

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Likely at the repair shop the technician doesn't have access to a pitch black room or the desire to find one. The verdict of "can't replicate problem" likely is because they never looked at it in a dark room and as you've said , screen looks fine in a lit room
But if I visit an Apple store with a genius appointment and tell and show the issue they might swap the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.