Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
But if I visit an Apple store with a genius appointment and tell and show the issue they might swap the phone?
Yes, and document everything along the way. For example the pictures you posted here, and any of the times you were in contact with Apple, and the names of those you spoke to will help as well. One last and very important thing, don't be pushy, remember to be nice! We there's an old saying; you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Reactions: JAllen2021

Hulldown

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
This is uneveness thats part of the AMOLED lottery. When viewing a pure grey image in full screen it will become more apparent. With a pure black image the display should be completely dark. I'd say get a replacement.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Yes, and document everything along the way. For example the pictures you posted here, and any of the times you were in contact with Apple, and the names of those you spoke to will help as well. One last and very important thing, don't be pushy, remember to be nice! We there's an old saying; you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Will do! Will they have replacements 11 Pro Max's?

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
This is uneveness thats part of the AMOLED lottery. When viewing a pure grey image in full screen it will become more apparent. With a pure black image the display should be completely dark. I'd say get a replacement.
Indeed. Do you think they'll give me a replacement?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Will they straight up give me a replacement once I show them the issue?

Apple is very good at taking care of their customers, as long as you/they can replicate the issue, you should have no issues with them replacing your phone. That's why I say to document EVERYTHING, the more prepared you are, the better.

Now replacing it with a 12 PM, don't get your hopes up for that. They still have plenty of 11 series in stock for replacement purposes, they're known as "White Box Replacements" meaning it's literally just the phone in the box. They're just not selling new units retail any longer.

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Apple is very good at taking care of their customers, as long as you/they can replicate the issue, you should have no issues with them replacing your phone. That's why I say to document EVERYTHING, the more prepared you are, the better.

Now replacing it with a 12 PM, don't get your hopes up for that. They still have plenty of 11 series in stock for replacement purposes, they're known as "White Box Replacements" meaning it's literally just the phone in the box. They're just not selling new units retail any longer.
Yeah, I was gonna say I'm not getting my hopes up with that!

I will document various chats and emails about sending it away for repair and them not being able to replicate it at the repair centre.

Thanks for all your advice.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Yeah, I was gonna say I'm not getting my hopes up with that!

I will document various chats and emails about sending it away for repair and them not being able to replicate it at the repair centre.

Thanks for all your advice.
Don't forget pictures and videos also. You're welcome and good luck.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
That would be cool , have you experienced something similar?

I’ve seen a few people have that happen here if something breaks on an older model with warranty.

For me personally it was my network insurance, when my Xs Max 256GB was stolen from me in late February 2020 they replaced it with an 11 Pro Max 256GB.

I guess it really depends on how the situation can be handled and your region. Take note I am in South Africa, Apple only exists on a corporate level here, they have deals with 3rd party resellers and networks who make the decisions on how these sort of things get handled going by our consumer protection act.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I’ve seen a few people have that happen here if something breaks on an older model with warranty.

For me personally it was my network insurance, when my Xs Max 256GB was stolen from me in late February 2020 they replaced it with an 11 Pro Max 256GB.

I guess it really depends on how the situation can be handled and your region. Take note I am in South Africa, Apple only exists on a corporate level here, they have deals with 3rd party resellers and networks who make the decisions on how these sort of things get handled going by our consumer protection act.
And a lot of times, it just comes down to the person you get. I took a 2 month old 7+ in because it had a dead pixel, dead center of the screen. Guy turns to the guy next to him and says go grab one. Walked out with a new (not white box) 7+. The best part was, he never even turned looked at my phone first.

Then there's times like OP had where there's a clear issue that they don't seem to catch or even care it seems like, and they send you packing. Go figure!

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
And a lot of times, it just comes down to the person you get. I took a 2 month old 7+ in because it had a dead pixel, dead center of the screen. Guy turns to the guy next to him and says go grab one. Walked out with a new (not white box) 7+. The best part was, he never even turned looked at my phone first.

Then there's times like OP had where there's a clear issue that they don't seem to catch or even care it seems like, and they send you packing. Go figure!
Would not be surprised if they give you a 12 Pro Max of the same capacity as your 11 Pro Max, as the 11 Pro Max is discontinued.
Should I book a Genius Bar appointment or would I be ok just to walk in? Lockdown restrictions are ending soon so I’ll be able to get to the closest one.

Last edited:

JAllen2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
UK
@DevinNj @Tsepz @Hulldown @upandown @chabig @mac4good84 Thought I'd update you all. I managed to book a Genius appointment, attended today. I printed off photos as well as saved them to a folder on the photos app. Showed them to to the guy who saw me, he tried replicating it but couldn't seem to. Asked for a second opinion with a colleague, and after filling out their documentation, arranged to have the screen replaced. 1 hour later, I picked it up. Uniformity appears to be perfect now. Thanks for your help! :D

TLDR; they replaced the screen on my phone, and now the display is even and better than ever.

EDIT: I believe he looked at the live photos of the problem that I took and gave me the benefit of the doubt, as well as the knowledge of his colleagues into the uniformity (seemed to have heard of the issue).

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
@DevinNj @Tsepz @Hulldown @upandown @chabig @mac4good84 Thought I'd update you all. I managed to book a Genius appointment, attended today. I printed off photos as well as saved them to a folder on the photos app. Showed them to to the guy who saw me, he tried replicating it but couldn't seem to. Asked for a second opinion with a colleague, and after filling out their documentation, arranged to have the screen replaced. 1 hour later, I picked it up. Uniformity appears to be perfect now. Thanks for your help! :D

TLDR; they replaced the screen on my phone, and now the display is even and better than ever.

EDIT: I believe he looked at the live photos of the problem that I took and gave me the benefit of the doubt, as well as the knowledge of his colleagues into the uniformity (seemed to have heard of the issue).
That’s awesome, glad it worked out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.