Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BackOniPhone

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
I had this happen for the first time sometime last night. Did the force restart and now it shows 100% battery. I'm updating to the latest 16.1.1 to see if that stabilizes it.

Very rude awakening this morning; especially after spending $1500.00 for a new toy!

Reactions: avalon68

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
My iPhone 14 pro max also had the black screen of death occur 2 weeks ago on a Monday morning causing me to be late for work and also left me unable to call into my work to report my tardiness.

I was running 16.1 so that hasn't fixed this issue. I had been using always on and the phone was not on a charger and was at 80% battery life. I have since turned off the always on display since i read elsewhere this could be related to the BSD. I've updated the iOS to 16.1.1 but still am uneasy using my iPhone as alarm clock to wake up by.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I’ve had something similar. Put my iPhone 13 Pro Max on the charger over night and it shut down by itself. When I woke up it was restarted.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Been happening on m on my 14 PM on various IOS 16 versions when on magsafe charger overnight Currently running IOS 16.2 PB 3. Just a click of the side button always brings it back. No restart ever necessary.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I had this happen for the first time sometime last night. Did the force restart and now it shows 100% battery. I'm updating to the latest 16.1.1 to see if that stabilizes it.

Very rude awakening this morning; especially after spending $1500.00 for a new toy!
I have an iPhone 14 pro running 16.1.1 and it still does it.

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
Wife's iPhone 11 with 16.1.1 still does that.. often during call.
Never happened with my iPhone 12 with the same last version of iOs.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
Woke up this morning and had same issue, searching online saw the hard reset fix. Woke back up. Called Apple - they said its a known issue, said it probably wont happen again, they opened a case and said if it does to call back. I've had almost every iPhone and never have had anything like this happen.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Me too . Once so far on a iPhone 11 max
Panic wasn’t the word . Makes you realise how dependent we are

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
Had this happen twice on my 14PM, first time it made me 1hr late for work because my alarm obviously didn't go off. Then happened again last night. I started an online chat with apple support when i woke up and this is what they said :

This happens sometimes, because of the bugs and force-restart refreshes the device and remove all the bugs.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

j0hnbiltz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
It happened to my iPhone 14 pro max iOS 16.1.1 this morning for the first and, hopefully, last time. I connected the phone to an Apple MagSafe charging cable and Anker Nano 20W charger when I went to bed. I woke up to a completely unresponsive phone. Charging did not work. Connecting to my MacBook did not work. The force reboot worked and showed 77% charge level.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
Happened to me again this morning. IP14PM on 16.2. Reboot fixed it. Weird.

MacProMovie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Since the black screen of death happened to me (while using PhoneOS beta), and I got a free replacement from the Apple Store, I haven't had any issues. I haven't been running any beta OS though.

dBsooner

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Just had the exact same thing happen to me this morning. 14 Pro, iOS 16.3.1. Put on the corded charger (Apple cube, Apple USB-C to Lightning cable) at about 10pm. Around 1am it went black. At 8am this morning, did the VOL + > VOL - > Hold Sleep for about 20 seconds. Came back to life. As expected, 80% battery. This is the first time this has happened where it was the Black Screen of Death (semi-death). All times before that it would reboot. I'd say it's rebooted a couple times in the past month or so as I've had to enter my PIN code to unlock several mornings. Same charger every night.

Has to be a bug in the software somewhere. I wish Apple would acknowledge this.

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
Just had the exact same thing happen to me this morning. 14 Pro, iOS 16.3.1. Put on the corded charger (Apple cube, Apple USB-C to Lightning cable) at about 10pm. Around 1am it went black. At 8am this morning, did the VOL + > VOL - > Hold Sleep for about 20 seconds. Came back to life. As expected, 80% battery. This is the first time this has happened where it was the Black Screen of Death (semi-death). All times before that it would reboot. I'd say it's rebooted a couple times in the past month or so as I've had to enter my PIN code to unlock several mornings. Same charger every night.

Has to be a bug in the software somewhere. I wish Apple would acknowledge this.
I just had a phone replaced for this. New one still rebooting itself overnight. Managed to find the log for last nights event as I was unwell and awake and saw it happen. I cant make much sense of it tbh. It said it was a Jetsam event; Darwin Kernel version 22.3.0. Im very annoyed to have paid so much for a phone, had it replaced once and now its still doing the same thing. Bit ridiculous to have such a major bug.

• Sad
Reactions: twanj

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Happened to me on my M1 12.9 iPad Pro, scared the hell out of me considering it was the first time I plugged it in with an MFI approved third party charger, but some key combination (either the vol up+down and then power) or some holding everything together suddenly made it work again.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
March 30, 2023. Just happened to my iPhone 14 Pro Max running 16.3.1. Charging overnight. Did the Force Reboot and booted up to 100%. Looked at the Battery report and took a screen shot where it shows reaching 100% then a gap when it did a sudden shutdown 2:45 am to when I woke up and force reboot it. First time occurrence with the phone. Hope it doesn't keep happening because I use this for an alarm.

• Sad
Reactions: twanj

fpippo99

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
Fact happened to a friend last week. Today to me and fortunately he had told me about it. Both iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 16.4.1 installed. This is a pretty major problem.

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
Fact happened to a friend last week. Today to me and fortunately he had told me about it. Both iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 16.4.1 installed. This is a pretty major problem.
Mine is constantly rebooting itself every night. Most times it turns itself back on fine, but the odd time it doesnt. I now need to have a cheap alarm clock because my overpriced phone might turn itself off and make me late for work again. Its ridiculous.

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
Launch day iPhone 14 PM. One anecdotal data point - never had this issue.
Im on my 2nd 13 mini and both have had the issue. It’s clearly software related and between here and Reddit it seems that it’s pretty common

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.