Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mareest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2023
We all have 4 iPhone 15 plus in the family, got them few months ago. Brand new.
We are almost all Android Switchers.

And we all have the same battery life : On a 24 hours basis, we get 5 hours of SOT going from 80% to 20% in normal powering mode. Low power mode gives us about 1 additional hour of SOT (same conditions, from 80% to 20%, on a 24 hours basis).

Well, it is not bad but I still have to think about charging my phone at the end of the day while when I was on Andoid, with a phone of a comparable size, I could easily postpone this to the next day (Nokia G50).

It is a disapointment. Especially when I see those ads on TV about the iPhone 15 plus and its assumed "looooooong battery life".

Am I being whimsical here ? We are nowhere near those "tests" on the internet. I even called Apple support about this and they ran a check up saying everything is normal hardware wise and that I should expect to charge my phone once a day.

test battery.png

• Sad
Reactions: miq

talcssar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2023
why are you only using your phone from 80->20? use it from 100->0

also, SOT is subjective as it depends on which apps you're using. if you're watching videos/playing games for 5hrs, then yes you'll have worse battery life. if you are sending texts then your phone will last you days.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Its fascinating that all members of your family has such a similar battery drain, are you all having very similar usage pattern when it comes to apps, connectivity and so on?
What apps are the top 3 being used (check battery stats) on your family devices?

What type of connection are you using most of the time? Cellular (4g or 5g)? Wifi? (N/AC/AX, 2.4 or 5ghz)?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
It’s interesting that all 4 family members have the same usage and battery life etc. SOT and battery life are subjective and can be impacted by many factors like what apps you’re using, if you’re using WiFi or network data or a combination of both.

Also the battery drain tests you see online will be from 100% - 0% rather than just 80% - 20%.

Reactions: Andeddu

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
You aren’t charging your phone long enough. That’s like me saying my BMW doesn’t go fast enough when I am only using the first 3 gears.

Your argument is completely illogical.

5 hours of SoT using 60% of battery is quite good. Modern Android flagships can only dream to attain such numbers. To be fair, even the 15 Pro Max isn’t as long lasting as the 15 Plus.

Hot take but 15 Plus is the current reigning and defending battery life champ.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I used to have the 80% limit activated on my iPhone 15 Plus but eventually I realized, why am I doing this to myself?

Scenario A: only using the phone between 80 and 20 %

Scenario B: charging to 100% and using it all the way

In scenario B, the battery health may have dropped more after like 2 years but in scenario A I never used it to its full potential either so it’s basically the same at the end of the day. Know what I mean?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…while when I was on Andoid, with a phone of a comparable size, I could easily postpone this to the next day (Nokia G50).
Every smartphone I have used as a primary phone since 2009 has gone on charger at night. And my usage is nowhere near that of anyone who uses their phone as a substitute computer, game console and media device.

Not sure why this is some sort of thing. I mean sure it was a shock going from the battery longevity of a flip phone to the shorter run times of smartphones, but that was 2009 (for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.