Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
While Apple can do this, it would be very weird. I would think Apple would either put USB-C on all iPhones, or put USB-C on only the EU iPhones and just put no port on all the others.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
  1. USBC is a generic port and it could be harder to implement authentication electronics (Which Lightning has) so Apple can keep charging for the MFi program.
  2. A portless phone has much better water and dust resistance
  3. Data transfer is the only drawback for the portless phone, but modern wireless tech like WiFi 7 are almost at thunderbolt speeds, so it could be that AirDrop gets upgraded with it
The point of USB is that it's universal standard, there's not going to be something proprietary like MFi. All the other Apple devices with USB-C already demonstrate this. MagSafe is its replacement.

Water resistance is not that important, I use the Lightning port pretty much every day, I never put my phone in water. I think it's safe to say that for most users the ratio of port usage to underwater usage is similar. As for dust I've never had an issue with it in the Lightning port. Cases are available if additional protection is needed in some situations.

Wi-Fi can be fast but it also needs to be reliable. Transferring files is not the only thing the port is used for, any wired accessories such as headphones, microphones, some battery packs/banks, card readers, CarPlay and others use it as well.

Last edited:

NWS

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
I don't really care what port is on the bottom of the phone, but am really opposed to governments dictating to companies how their devices will work, and what technology they will employ.

Apple invented the thing, they should put whatever the hell ports they want on their device.

seeing as how 99% of cables are thrown away due to failure of the cable, this rule will do nothing but stifle innovation.

meister_209

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
if apple thinks that they're $mart like their smartphone start by improving siri ai to be more responsive
and not just deleting the trigger phase of " hey " which could be a lifesaver even in silent mode.
improve mag-safe and make new colors instead of that white bar of soap charger and don,t forget the air pods 2.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
They also did this changing from the 30pin connector to Lighting. They change the connectors in the iPads also, selling both versions. How will this be different?
The year 2023 is a lot different compared to 2012. At that time smartphone’s were limited to storage sizes and capabilities especially relating to camera quality and video resolutions. People were also not very familiar with quick/fast charging and are now more dependant on these devices as its more capable compared to 2012 or prior.

There is usually someone in the family who has interests in technology and is dependant on as the family tech support and I presume this person will probably direct family members to a universal standard when in the process of upgrading and finances support such requirement.

For example in my family all devices computing devices are USB-C with the exception of iPhone. I have a mix of iPhone 12/13 Pro and 13 mini and would have upgraded to 14 Pro if it had USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.