Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I’ve got tons of intel from different brands and this situation is being handled much differently than the action button. Much more complicated than the action button but curious to see how the cases that have the button works. After conversation with 3 major case brands, I can kinda understand the reasoning behind making the cutout right now. Majority of brands aren’t going to have a button and for someone like Spigen, they have like one case with the button because everyone is up in the air until the phone gets in hand.
It would be interesting to see sales figure for the Apple Silicone this year compared to years past. I bet some of the third-party manufacturers will eventually be motivated to update their cases due to poor sales.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
It would be interesting to see sales figure for the Apple Silicone this year compared to years past. I bet some of the third-party manufacturers will eventually be motivated to update their cases due to poor sales.
Man I wish I could do a voice chat room to talk about this because it’s such an interesting convo. Yeah it’s going to be interesting and I think people will back down a little once they get the phone in hand because I don’t think it’s going to be that bad.

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Man I wish I could do a voice chat room to talk about this because it’s such an interesting convo. Yeah it’s going to be interesting and I think people will back down a little once they get the phone in hand because I don’t think it’s going to be that bad.
Yeah we're going to know SO much more about whether this is an issue in just a few days. It's going to be fascinating because we've just not had this much of a functional difference in an iPhone model for quite some time, though (as I've said ad naueum at this point), there shouldn't be anything new about this (cases covering capacitive buttons) in the grand scheme of things since Androids have had such a button for quite some time as I understand it.

Reactions: Zensō

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Does the everyday consumer really care that much? I doubt it. They may eventually be motivated, but they might also just wait until the 17 series having a year with the button in hand to really test out the feedback on the button with various designs.

Reactions: richxps and mikext

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Have to think about it that way from a business standpoint. Can’t take the risk and the button not work the way it’s intended and have dead inventory. This is nothing like the action button. They were thinking is going to be capacitive only, not an actually button also. Little more tricky. Might make a follow up video talking about all of this.

Yeah, there's nothing simple about this situation. Can't even make the "safe" bet of waiting for the announcement before going to production because then others will beat you to market.

Hopefully we see some of the more premium brands coming up with some solution for that button down the road. I don't see the lower end of the market switching away from cutouts.

Moreover, we might see a larger than average caseless crowd if the cutouts end up not being bad UX. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: julit0 and Zensō

BM35

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022

I sent an email to mous, pitaka, benks, rebel and esr to know if there will be any revision on any iphone 16 case. If we push companies by our emails, they may have to make revision :)

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Exactly. These holes are either going to be a seamless use of the button or we'll have button (case?) gate going on.
The only downside to the cutout is if they didn't make the depth correctly that either makes it hard to interact with OR if its too shallow inadvertently getting pressed while gripping the phone. Other than that, it will work just fine whether people want to hear it or not.

CrispAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2024
Exactly. These holes are either going to be a seamless use of the button or we'll have button (case?) gate going on.
Yep, I have a feeling the cheap Amazon cases that a lot of people get are not going to have a cutout that allows for very good use of the button. There is just so much variation in case quality in the market, it's gonna be a mixed bag. I have an Apple Silicone case coming and a Bullstrap with the cutout. We shall see if both are usable.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I sent an email to mous, pitaka, benks, rebel and esr to know if there will be any revision on any iphone 16 case. If we push companies by our emails, they may have to make revision :)

Not sure you'll get a firm answer. Bad idea from a business perspective to say out loud "yes, we have a better product on the way" because then your customers will wait for that. No one wants to be stuck with dead inventory.

Sorta why Nintendo hasn't said anything about a new Switch. They have to sell all the current ones first; they don't want new customers waiting for the new one.

Reactions: BM35

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Yep, I have a feeling the cheap Amazon cases that a lot of people get are not going to have a cutout that allows for very good use of the button. There is just so much variation in case quality in the market, it's gonna be a mixed bag. I have an Apple Silicone case coming and a Bullstrap with the cutout. We shall see if both are usable.
I have high hopes for the Bullstrap as I primarily use leather. It looks from their pictures they did a good job on it cosmetically, but time will tell.

Reactions: CrispAppleNerd

CrispAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2024
I have high hopes for the Bullstrap as I primarily use leather. It looks from their pictures they did a good job on it cosmetically, but time will tell.
Yeah, I have been a dedicated Apple leather case user since the release on the iPhone 5 or 5s, but I have dabbled with BS in the past with pretty good experiences. I agree their cutout looks good. Hopefully it's a winner and I dont have leather case shop anymore. Other than getting the Luckycoin because of all the great reviews.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Well what people don’t know is that even though it’s a cutouts, companies spent a lot of time designing the cutout to be as comfortable as possibly. One brand told me they went through 15 or more revisions of the cutout but they perfected it. So it will be curious to see how they all are once we get the phone.

CrispAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2024
Well what people don’t know is that even though it’s a cutouts, companies spent a lot of time designing the cutout to be as comfortable as possibly. One brand told me they went through 15 or more revisions of the cutout but they perfected it. So it will be curious to see how they all are once we get the phone.
But they didn't have the actual iPhone in hand to test, so they may be comfortable but the function might be off.

Reactions: ikjadoon

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I wouldn't expect any less so what's also fascinating is that they apparently (even within the same brand, like Nomad) landed on two different approaches via either that massive cutout that includes the front edge of the case or the more tailored, beveled hole that solely opens up around the CC button itself. Which will win? Will either??

Reactions: Zensō

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yeah at this point it’s a bunch of idk and I just don’t want the narrative to say this design and that design is lazy. Now some do look a little exaggerated but let’s just get the cases and phone in hand and talk about from there.

But there is also a large amount of people who could care less because majority of people aren’t going to use that button.

Reactions: tcdav26

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I ordered the Spigen clear MagSafe case, but I am going to return it and I've just ordered the Apple Clear case. I think the cutout for the camera control will be annoying so much rather just pay a premium for something that (should) work how it's intended. I'd love to go cashless but honestly I don't trust myself putting it down in the gym etc.
I had ordered and had delivered an ESR clear case like the one I’m currently using with my 15 Pro Max but I’m also concerned about the cutout used by the third party cases. I’m going to probably return it. The Spigen Ultra Hybrid T MagSafe case that has the cover is listed on Amazon but is currently out of stock but I’ve preordered it.

However I’m not sure how well it’s going to work. I’ve always been reluctant to buy the official Apple cases as I feel they’re overpriced but I’ve just preordered the clear one as I’m sure the camera button will work fine with it. I’ll try both the Apple and Spigen ones and see how they are once I get them and hopefully returning one for a refund if I can.

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Yeah at this point it’s a bunch of idk and I just don’t want the narrative to say this design and that design is lazy. Now some do look a little exaggerated but let’s just get the cases and phone in hand and talk about from there.

But there is also a large amount of people who could care less because majority of people aren’t going to use that button.
Oh yes, true. Adoption rate could indeed be low.

BM35

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
Not sure you'll get a firm answer. Bad idea from a business perspective to say out loud "yes, we have a better product on the way" because then your customers will wait for that. No one wants to be stuck with dead inventory.

Sorta why Nintendo hasn't said anything about a new Switch. They have to sell all the current ones first; they don't want new customers waiting for the new one.

It's just a hope :)

Also i dont understand why only spigen, ottorbox and supcase could put these button some of their cases. Werent the other companies know button functions or havent enough technology or does it cost too much?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.