Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Conclusion: if caudabe wants to compete, they will need to adopt the Apple style button for the camera control, anything less is too much of a compromise and not in a good way! For now, I’ll be using the sheath; however, I fully hope and expect caudabe to do their part and design a proper camera control button. 😔
I hope you’re right about Caudabe, but if rumors are correct they most likely won’t be adding a CC cover until iPhone 17.

Another possibility is that Apple will add a re-designed premium case with a CC cover and metal buttons to replace the FineWoven. Would be great, but not holding my breath for that one either.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Can you give us a pic with the black phone?
tempImageZuK3WH.png

• Love
Reactions: Hooterville

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
I’ve come to the following conclusions…

The Apple silicone is great to hold, but the standard buttons (not the camera control, that one is fantastic) absolutely ruin the experience compared to a caudabe sheath.

The caudabe sheath has amazing buttons, but the cutout is pretty bad. It makes holding the phone in the hand feel completely awkward. Also the camera control cutout is NOT as usable as the camera control button on the Apple silicone.

Conclusion: if caudabe wants to compete, they will need to adopt the Apple style button for the camera control, anything less is too much of a compromise and not in a good way! For now, I’ll be using the sheath; however, I fully hope and expect caudabe to do their part and design a proper camera control button. 😔
I’m actually returning both the Sheath and Synthesis.

They were quick to reply and sent me a return label. The Synthesis was a no go for me period this year and I absolutely love the Sheath but the cutout is a no go for me, it feels awkward holding in hand and no matter how awesome the rest of the case is I couldn’t settle.

I’ve been using Caudabe since iPhone 6 so it feels strange to not choose them this year but I sent them a detailed email about my review on the Sheath and Synthesis. Definitely mentioned the cutout being the biggest downfall for me and that I will buy the Sheath in a heartbeat once they release a button version as it is still my favorite case.

They came back quickly with a great long response but to boil it down, the feedback was much appreciated and my thoughts have been passed to the team internally.

I’m sure they’ll come out with a button version, it’s only a matter of time. Until then it’s Apple silicone for me right now.

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
Ultramarine case is not nice imo, using it with my black pro and going to swap it for green lake I think judging by the pics in this thread.

Feel like its giving me a headache 🤣
I wouldn’t say it’s not nice, the “loud” high saturation is just not everyone’s cup of tea and doesn’t seem to be yours.

Stone Gray, Denim and Lake Green are my top 3, they are the most washed down “calm” colors which is more my vibe as it seems to yours as well lol

pcmike

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Okay, are we all charging our new phones up to 100% or doing that 80% deal?
My 15PM battery was always set to 100% and after a year it had degraded to 92%. Always charged with MagSafe puck unless I was traveling. The 15PM itself “recommends” setting a charging limit of 90%, so I figured that’s what I’m going to do with my 16P this year. However, I’m kind of skeptical, because I get a new phone every year and why should I deprive myself of battery just for the next person Apple sells it to…

pcmike

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I’m actually returning both the Sheath and Synthesis.

They were quick to reply and sent me a return label. The Synthesis was a no go for me period this year and I absolutely love the Sheath but the cutout is a no go for me, it feels awkward holding in hand and no matter how awesome the rest of the case is I couldn’t settle.

I’ve been using Caudabe since iPhone 6 so it feels strange to not choose them this year but I sent them a detailed email about my review on the Sheath and Synthesis. Definitely mentioned the cutout being the biggest downfall for me and that I will buy the Sheath in a heartbeat once they release a button version as it is still my favorite case.

They came back quickly with a great long response but to boil it down, the feedback was much appreciated and my thoughts have been passed to the team internally.

I’m sure they’ll come out with a button version, it’s only a matter of time. Until then it’s Apple silicone for me right now.
Thank you for voting with your wallet and for sending your detailed email. I sent the email already as well, but I may also vote with my wallet too. But those buttons, oh those buttons… 🫣😔

Reactions: JBlass421

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
My 15PM battery was always set to 100% and after a year it had degraded to 92%. Always charged with MagSafe puck unless I was traveling. The 15PM itself “recommends” setting a charging limit of 90%, so I figured that’s what I’m going to do with my 16P this year. However, I’m kind of skeptical, because I get a new phone every year and why should I deprive myself of battery just for the next person Apple sells it to…
If you trade in to Apple they refurb the phone and replaces the battery.

So yea trying to do the most to preserve the phone’s battery especially when mostly everyone here is upgrading every 365 days lol is kind of pointless in my personal opinion unless you’re selling privately then higher battery health holds the value of the phone a bit better.

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
Thank you for voting with your wallet and for sending your detailed email. I sent the email already as well, but I may also vote with my wallet too. But those buttons, oh those buttons… 🫣😔
Those buttons are absolutely amazing but not enough for me to settle.

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Mine has shipped but they come from Germany so it will be a while. I did get my phone yesterday.
Darn I'm really looking for the go ahead to make that my leather case. I am already realizing how much I prefer it. When I pick up my 13P in its Apple leather case now I'm just like Ahhhhhh.

This ESR case is heavy and slippery. Already almost had the phone fly out my hand once.

Ordered the ring and slim Torras cases in the meantime in the hopes that one of them is grippier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Djones96

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I’ve come to the following conclusions…

The Apple silicone is great to hold, but the standard buttons (not the camera control, that one is fantastic) absolutely ruin the experience compared to a caudabe sheath.

The caudabe sheath has amazing buttons, but the cutout is pretty bad. It makes holding the phone in the hand feel completely awkward. Also the camera control cutout is NOT as usable as the camera control button on the Apple silicone.

EDIT: I felt so strongly about what I said above, I just went and emailed caudabe about it. Hopefully more people do the same!
This is so helpful, thanks! I keeping having moments of weakness about ordering one but want to see reviews of the Paragon and Bandwerk as my current top theoretical choices. Yes, it's the orange 😁

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
MUJJO Leather Case

As posted in another thread, I ordered a leather Mujjo case for the 16PM. These were a good replacement for the Apple leather cases, but they will need to figure out a different way of dealing with the camera control button. The current cutout nearly completely prevents access, at least for adult male fingers. It's too short and narrow, and the ramps are too short/steep to make a difference. A full cutout or a glass-covered window would work better (could hardly work worse, since this cutout doesn't work at all).

• Wow
Reactions: Zensō and HouseofG

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I got the Torras 360 magnetic stand case for my white 16 Pro Max. Fit is excellent. Buttons work perfectly. Nice lip around screen with a screen protector. Camera control cutout works as good as a cutout could. The stand could be handy in some situations. Just enough camera protection. Really nice case. I also got the Torras screen protector that I reviewed in that thread. Perfect fit and easy installation. Couldn't be more happy with this combo.

IMG_4544.jpg IMG_4547.jpg IMG_4543.jpg IMG_4548.jpg IMG_4549.jpg

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Hmmm...there's fuzz etc. getting stuck to the edges of my ESR Armorite screen protector, where it leaves that gap at the screen edge and case lip. Hoping it gets less sticky over time...? In the meantime, OCD alert!

• Wow
Reactions: Hooterville

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I got the Torras 360 magnetic stand case for my white 16 Pro Max. Fit is excellent. Buttons work perfectly. Nice lip around screen with a screen protector. Camera control cutout works as good as a cutout could. The stand could be handy in some situations. Just enough camera protection. Really nice case. I also got the Torras screen protector that I reviewed in that thread. Perfect fit and easy installation. Couldn't be more happy with this combo.

View attachment 2424544 View attachment 2424545 View attachment 2424546 View attachment 2424547 View attachment 2424550
Are the edges grippy versus like a hard smooth plastic feel (driving me nuts on this ESR temp case)?

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
New vs old 🥹 little bittersweet. I loved my sky case on my 14 so much! But wow the 16 feels phenomenal. And I settled on the stone silicone for now. I’m surprised how much I actually love the color.. typically I go for lighter colors but alas there are none.. yet!

Here’s hoping the battery performs better overall (mine was pretty lousy on the 14- my husband and sons were a lot better!)

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 13

dbagg

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2013
I’ve been using a cheap Amazon case for 24hrs and I hate the camera control cut out! Feels weird when holding the phone, I keep accidentally switching to camera, and I pick the phone up upside down because my brain thinks that’s the mute switch.

Just ordered the apple silicone case despite having issues with peeling in the past. I got the denim colour.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Darn I'm really looking for the go ahead to make that my leather case. I am already realizing how much I prefer it. When I pick up my 13P in its Apple leather case now I'm just like Ahhhhhh.

This ESR case is heavy and slippery. Already almost had the phone fly out my hand once.

Ordered the ring and slim Torras cases in the meantime in the hopes that one of them is grippier.
If I’m not mistaken we both ordered the same ESR case, and I’m not a fan either. Luckily we didn’t spend too much on the case. It looks nice, but as you said, it’s heavy and slippery.
Can’t wait until I get my Apple silicone case.

HouseofG

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
If I’m not mistaken we both ordered the same ESR case, and I’m not a fan either. Luckily we didn’t spend too much on the case. It looks nice, but as you said, it’s heavy and slippery.
Can’t wait until I get my Apple silicone case.
Yep and I've ordered a silicone (a first for me, not a fan of the concept) in addition to the two Torras to hopefully pick one to hold me over until leather bliss!

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
I know the phone only came out yesterday, but going forward I’m fully on team cover for the CC button.
Before the phone came out I didn’t fully understand why people were upset about cases not having a cover for the new button, I thought it was just going to be one of those things everyone eventually got used to, but man, with this cheap ESR case I bought, pressing the CC button feels virtually impossible because of how recessed it is on the case.
I can’t wait for my Spigen Ultra Hybrid T to ship since it has the cover, and I’ll be impatiently waiting for my Apple silicone case to get here on Wednesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.