Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This year's upcoming iPhone 16 Pro Max is expected to get a boost in overall size from 6.7-inches to 6.9-inches, and a new image gives us a good idea of how the current iPhone 15 Pro Max compares to what could be Apple's largest ever iPhone.

iphone-15-pro-max-vs-iphone-16-pro-max.jpg

The image above, posted on X by ZONEofTECH, shows a dummy model representing the ‌iPhone 16 Pro‌ Max alongside an actual iPhone 15 Pro Max. Dummy units are designed to take the place of real devices for display or testing purposes, and therefore seek to match the dimensions and design changes of yet-to-be-released iPhones.

With the increase in size of Apple's larger premium model rumored to be in the region of 0.2 inches, the difference is visually noticeable, but whether it will be all that significant for users in real-world use is another question.

The smaller ‌iPhone 16 Pro‌ is expected to increase from 6.1- to 6.3-inches, and with both iPhone 16 Pro models expected to be larger, they are also expected to be taller and wider than the iPhone 15 Pro models. While thickness will remain the same, the weight is likely to increase slightly due to the larger size.

Note that Apple is also rumored to be using Border Reduction Structure (BRS) technology for the iPhone 16 Pro models, which is expected to result in slimmer bezel sizes, subsequently allowing for more display space within the confines of those dimensions.

In addition, the iPhone 16 Pro's display could be up to 20% brighter for typical SDR content, featuring up to 1,200 nits of typical SDR brightness. Taken together, those changes could add up to a substantially improved screen viewing experience.

Meanwhile, the ‌iPhone 16‌ and ‌iPhone 16‌ Plus are expected to stay at 6.1- and 6.7-inches like their predecessors. If Apple sticks to its typical annual iPhone launch timing, the iPhone 16 lineup will be released sometime around mid-September.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Max Looks This Much Bigger Beside iPhone 15 Pro Max

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The only real negative for me is I'm buying a new case every time I get a new phone. Thats a me problem but year after year, even if it stays the same size, the buttons move or the thickness changes just enough to require a new case. If you're one that never uses a case you are better off. The new phones slightly larger size is fine, it's already a commitment to own a large phone but I have done so since the 6 Plus so I'm used to it.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
I can’t with these big phones. I went from a 14 Pro to a 15 Pro Max just to get the 5x telephoto. No matter what cameras are on the next-gen, I’m dropping back down to the 16 Pro.

The 15 Pro Max is just so unwieldy, especially one-handed. I have to keep shifting it to reach all over the screen.

And the sad thing is, I don’t even really use the telephoto lens that much after all, so I went with the Max for nothing 🤦‍♂️🤣

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11 Pro Max are roughly the same size
iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro Max are roughly the same size

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
I know most people don't like this. But I happen to be one who buys the Pro Max because I want a large phone. This size increase looks perfect to me. Glad to see the phone is getting wider and not just taller.
Most MacRumors commenters may not like this, I don't like this but most people definitely like this because Pro Max is the most selling model out of latest iPhones. Most people do want big phones. That's a fact. It may be strange for me and for other commenters, but sales numbers don't lie.

Apple’s iPhone 15 Pro Max was the best-selling smartphone of Q1 2024. Notably, the Pro Max variant achieved the top position for the first time in Apple’s non-seasonal quarter, reflecting an increasing trend of consumer preference for high-end smartphones.

1715862415739.png

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Most MacRumors commenters may not like this, I don't like this but most people definitely like this because Pro Max is the most selling model out of latest iPhones. Most people do want big phones. That's a fact. It may be strange for me and for other commenters, but sales numbers don't lie.

View attachment 2378885
Some people buy for features, not just size. Which the pro max has the most features as well. I personally like the max because of the battery life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.