Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Totally true. But it seems practically impossible to use iPhone without case to me. It's so slippery. It literally slides over almost every surface I lay it down.
Been using iPhone12max without a case for years. It does drop, but it's held up. With the removal of all bezels, I do think cases make sense again tho.

Reactions: 3530025

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Personally I prefer the brushed finish. Comparing the polished stainless steel to the brushed titanium, I find the brushed titanium looks more premium and also its a refreshing change to not have finger prints show up constantly like it does on the polished stainless steel.

I've never have a clip on case for any of my iPhone's I've owned since first getting a 3GS. All I use is a slip in pouch, usually made of leather. These have always kept my iPhone in like new condition, even to the point where I get another iPhone. I can understand why people use a clip on case to protect their iPhone. But for me personally I would hate to put something that looked as nice as the iPhone into one of these type of cases, as I have yet to see a clip on case that does not spoil the look of the iPhone.

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
If they only put so much attention to detail on their new Macbooks. The screens have been coming off the line with microscratches.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
I use a clear case always and so not bothered about fingerprints. I do like the polished finish.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Do the third-party clear cases not display dust as much?

Some of them have micro-porous texture on the inside, so small dust particles “blend” with it and become less visible. The soft clear cases also fit quite tight, yet are easier to remove for cleaning than the hard plastic ones.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I need to see the 15 series in person before I can make any real judgment, but as it stands right now I really enjoy my 14 PM's finish.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Been rocking my gold iPhone 14 PM caseless this week. Really liked the polished gold sides and the goldish/champagne back. Ultimately skipped iPhone 15 this year, looking forward to better colors and models in iPhone 16 or maybe even iPhone 17.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
That Apple Clear MagSafe case is an overpriced abomination that should have been discontinued a long time ago. It is really hard to put on/take off, it leaves the bottom bit exposed and displays dust and particles accumulated under it with remarkable clarity. ESR, Spigen and Co do a much better job for a fraction of the price, IMO. The only good Apple iPhone case remaining is the silicone one, yet that one is also overpriced, IMO.

Basically, if you are into clear cases (I am), you need to be ready to swap them every 6-10 months, as they will all yellow to some degree, so it makes no sense to overpay.
That was my experience also when I bought it with a 13 Mini start off last year. Extremely slippery in hand as it seemed to readily pick up natural oils from skin, that unprotected lower opening and side buttons needing quite an effort to press.

Ended up with the clear case from Otterbox (MagSafe) with the rubber surround, as well as two Apple silicone cases, knowing accessories wouldn’t be sold much longer and me keeping devices for a long time.

Reactions: dozoy and one more

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I think Apple should consider different finishes for the Pro series - for silver titanium, it could be polished but for black titanium it could be brushed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nclaire44

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
The older iPhones didn't really need cases permanently left on them. One of my favorite demos with my 3gs was to take it out of my belt case and drop it on the floor. That phone still works, I never replaced anything but the battery.

But there's no way I'd do that with a newer one. The screens are much more fragile, the backs are much more fragile.

Apple needs to bring back bezels and plastic. Glass is a stupid material for the back of a phone.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Wow. I really wanted to have my 15P caseless, but slipping from different materials was a real issue to me.

And I'm not even talking about slipping from my hands, that's a non issue, but when I put it onto side of ceramic sink which was not perfectly in level it starting sliding to the side. And I'm not even kidding. The same issue was in my car - when I put it to the place without anti-slipping mat it basically flew off in the first turn. All this solved by simple transparent case. It's rather disgusting and I don't like the look of my iPhone in it, but it's practical.

Just my experience. I'm glad you are able to use it caseless no problem, I wanted too. Trust me.
damn that’s annoying. what about just putting it face up so that it’s not totally flat with a surface? unless you’re worried about the camera scratching or it still happens even when doing that.

didn’t see if you addressed that in a different post.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
damn that’s annoying. what about just putting it face up so that it’s not totally flat with a surface? unless you’re worried about the camera scratching or it still happens even when doing that.

didn’t see if you addressed that in a different post.
I was actually putting it face up (so I can see the display). It was doing this sliding thing when being on the camera bump. Maybe doing do opposite - putting it on the display (camera up) would help? But that would be rather impractical, because I would not see the screen - I usually watch YT or read news while having my phone beside.

• Sad
Reactions: newyorksole

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I was actually putting it face up (so I can see the display). It was doing this sliding thing when being on the camera bump. Maybe doing do opposite - putting it on the display (camera up) would help? But that would be rather impractical, because I would not see the screen - I usually watch YT or read news while having my phone beside.
hmm yeah that wouldn’t be ideal for you then. dang.

hopefully one day you’ll be able to go caseless again. makes such a difference.

Reactions: 3530025

obezcinnet

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
Am I the only one missing stainless steel? I don't use cases and dislike the fact that my phone no longer matches my stainless steel watch. I hope they will match the finish on apple watch.

Reactions: RealE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.