Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amirhazwan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Hi guys.

Just want to ask. I've been using Iphone 5 since 2014 and i'm planning to upgrade. Iphone 7 is not in my list as my budget is little tight. Is it still okay to buy Iphone 6 now? Will it receive updates for at least another two years? Or should i go for 6S?

Thanks for your opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi guys.

Just want to ask. I've been using Iphone 5 since 2014 and i'm planning to upgrade. Iphone 7 is not in my list as my budget is little tight. Is it still okay to buy Iphone 6 now? Will it receive updates for at least another two years? Or should i go for 6S?

Thanks for your opinion.

I would not purchase the iPhone 6. It's likely to receive less iOS support in the future and the iPhone 6S supersedes the iPhone 6 in every way with the additional RAM, processor and overall is a much better iPhone experience than the 6.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm still using a 6, and I have no complaints about its performance. I suspect that it will receive updates for a couple more years. That being said, if you plan to keep it for a years, I would suggest buying the most current phone that you can reasonably afford. It depends how much more the 6s will cost you and what your budget is. I would save up and go for the 6s. Even as someone currently using a 6, who still appreciates it as a good phone, I realize that the 6s will be good for at least a year longer than the 6.

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec
Hi guys.

Thanks for your opinion.
I'm still using a 5. Still working great. Keep your money and wait.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
I wouldn't. Apple seems to have made it clear since iOS10 came out, that 3D Touch will soon become more and more prominent in its use...and may even become the backbone of some interactions.

iPhone 6 does NOT feature a 3Dtouch enabled screen. Get at least the 6s which I'm sure will last quite a bit longer than the 6 in terms of support

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I have a 6 since launch and it still works great although the battery is not what it used to be. I've also kept it on 9.3.5 or whatever the last release was prior to 10. I didn't like the update for the phone so I didn't see the point in updating. While it's been a great phone for me I am planning to get a new phone this fall.

Reactions: Sunny1990

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The iPhone 6 is extremely dated at this point. Don't consider anything less than an iPhone 6s or SE.

The iPhone 6 will be terribly slow on iOS 11. Just like the iPhone 5s. And it may or may not get iOS 12 which would be unusable on it even if it does get it.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I wouldn't get the 6 (a 5s alike with bigger screen) unless it's free, 6s you should buy only if you can have good deal for it. SE or 7 are your best options at this point.

Price wise the SE is the best bang for your buck, basically 6s internals with 4" screen.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I'm still using a 6, and I have no complaints about its performance. I suspect that it will receive updates for a couple more years. That being said, if you plan to keep it for a years, I would suggest buying the most current phone that you can reasonably afford. It depends how much more the 6s will cost you and what your budget is. I would save up and go for the 6s. Even as someone currently using a 6, who still appreciates it as a good phone, I realize that the 6s will be good for at least a year longer than the 6.

No. It won’t.

The last iOS for iPhone 6 will be iOS 11 or iOS 12. iOS 10 is just about okay on iPhone 6. And iOS 11 crawls on it.

An iPhone 6 isn’t really noticeably faster than an iPhone 5s. Both SE and 6s are light years ahead.

Kimjongjohan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2017
No. It won’t.

The last iOS for iPhone 6 will be iOS 11 or iOS 12. iOS 10 is just about okay on iPhone 6. And iOS 11 crawls on it.

An iPhone 6 isn’t really noticeably faster than an iPhone 5s. Both SE and 6s are light years ahead.
How could you possibly now how the 6 will be with iOS 11? Based on what? The latest beta? Just curious.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
We are in Beta 4 already. The final GM might be slightly better. But not much better. Is this your first experience with a Beta? I’ve been using Betas each year for several years now.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
No. It won’t.

Pretty sure you are wrong. The 6 will get iOS 12 at least. Apple have a very well defined support period for their devices and the 5s will get iOS11 so the 6 will get iOS 12.

The 6+ that I have still works brilliantly on iOS10 and I tried iOS11 on it with beta1 and it was fine ignoring bug related issues. There is a reason so many people are still running old iPhones. They still work really well even when they are 3+ years old.

I have little worry that if the new iPhone 8 is too expensive that my 6+ will last me another year. That being said, I would definitely go for the 6S if I was getting one now. The touchID is noticeably quicker and the general phone is more future proof. My missus has one and its definitely faster than my 6 in most tasks.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Pretty sure you are wrong. The 6 will get iOS 12 at least. Apple have a very well defined support period for their devices and the 5s will get iOS11 so the 6 will get iOS 12.

The 6+ that I have still works brilliantly on iOS10 and I tried iOS11 on it with beta1 and it was fine ignoring bug related issues. There is a reason so many people are still running old iPhones. They still work really well even when they are 3+ years old.

I have little worry that if the new iPhone 8 is too expensive that my 6+ will last me another year. That being said, I would definitely go for the 6S if I was getting one now. The touchID is noticeably quicker and the general phone is more future proof. My missus has one and its definitely faster than my 6 in most tasks.

Read again what I wrote.

And no, an iPhone 6+ doesn’t run iOS 10 well at all. You’re lying to yourself. And I understand why you’re doing that. So it is cool. :)

And the only reason people many people (myself included) use older iDevices is because they can’t afford to upgrade them as often as Apple would like them to.
[doublepost=1502376410][/doublepost]
How could you possibly now how the 6 will be with iOS 11? Based on what? The latest beta? Just curious.

The latest beta is a very good indicator. The final version would only be slightly faster.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Read again what I wrote.

And no, an iPhone 6+ doesn’t run iOS 10 well at all. You’re lying to yourself. And I understand why you’re doing that. So it is cool. :)

Nope, I write software for a living and have played with plenty of 6S's and 7's and they are faster, the 7 is much faster in some situations. That doesn't mean that my 6+ doesn't run iOS10 really well. There is no stutter, slowdown or lag in pretty much anything I do. If your iPhone is that slow on iOS 10/11 you need to have a look into why because its not the hardware. The standard 6 might be getting a bit slower because of the lack of RAM but the 6+ is still fine.

And the only reason people many people (myself included) use older iDevices is because they can’t afford to upgrade them as often as Apple would like them to.

Thats quite a ridiculous statement. My girlfriends dad still uses a 4s and hes very well off. He could buy the whole family a new iPhone every year if he wanted. I can afford to upgrade every year (it really doesn't cost that much unless you don't want to sell your old phone) but I don't need to. The look and feel of the phone hasn't changed in nearly 3 years and my iPhone runs everything the 7 does. If it was slow to the point of being even a little annoying I would have upgraded in the last 3 years. My iPad mini is awful. I know what a device that isn't capable of running the OS looks like.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Nope, I write software for a living and have played with plenty of 6S's and 7's and they are faster, the 7 is much faster in some situations. That doesn't mean that my 6+ doesn't run iOS10 really well. There is no stutter, slowdown or lag in pretty much anything I do. If your iPhone is that slow on iOS 10/11 you need to have a look into why because its not the hardware. The standard 6 might be getting a bit slower because of the lack of RAM but the 6+ is still fine.

Thats quite a ridiculous statement. My girlfriends dad still uses a 4s and hes very well off. He could buy the whole family a new iPhone every year if he wanted. I can afford to upgrade every year (it really doesn't cost that much unless you don't want to sell your old phone) but I don't need to. The look and feel of the phone hasn't changed in nearly 3 years and my iPhone runs everything the 7 does. If it was slow to the point of being even a little annoying I would have upgraded in the last 3 years. My iPad mini is awful. I know what a device that isn't capable of running the OS looks like.
dont 6 and 6+ have the same ram?

I have 6+ and ios10 is a bit slow for my liking.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
dont 6 and 6+ have the same ram?

I have 6+ and ios10 is a bit slow for my liking.

Apparently so, I could have sworn the plus model had more ram than the standard one but I must be thinking of another model. What is slow for you by the way or is it just general slowness?

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Hi guys.

Thanks for your opinion.
i have iphone 6 ,64gb and it i made huge mistake of downloading ios 10, huge mistake. iphone 6 is not fully capable of handling ios 10, let alone anything after it. one of the main reasons i am switching back to samsung.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Apparently so, I could have sworn the plus model had more ram than the standard one but I must be thinking of another model. What is slow for you by the way or is it just general slowness?
General slowness.

Apps can take a few seconds to fully load.

I was on vacation a month ago, and was using the camera to film, and i would press the record button, and it'll take many seconds to register, so i was thinking maybe i didnt press it, i go to press again, and then it says stop recording. So i got alot of useless 2 second clips. Happened multiple times during the night.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
This seems really odd to me. I just got an insurance replacement and I had been playing around with iOS 11 which I didn't want to continue with so I ended up with no viable backup to use. I set it up as a new phone and added my old appleID to the phone the re-downloaded all the apps I had before that I actually use.

I had a 6 up until about 11 months ago when a friend was selling his cheaply and I wanted to see if the plus size model would be too big so I traded from a 6 to a 6+. The 6+ immediately felt faster but since I did a clean install 2 months ago the whole phone has been quick.

@Phonzoxd - I just tested to see how fast it was to open the camera and start taking a video and from having the app completely shut down. It took about 0.5-1s to open the app and show the live viewfinder. It then took literally 0s to start filming a video. It sounds like people who are having issues with their 6 have software or appleID/account problems.

Is there anything else in particular that you find slow that I can try on mine?

Reactions: rui no onna

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
This seems really odd to me. I just got an insurance replacement and I had been playing around with iOS 11 which I didn't want to continue with so I ended up with no viable backup to use. I set it up as a new phone and added my old appleID to the phone the re-downloaded all the apps I had before that I actually use.

I had a 6 up until about 11 months ago when a friend was selling his cheaply and I wanted to see if the plus size model would be too big so I traded from a 6 to a 6+. The 6+ immediately felt faster but since I did a clean install 2 months ago the whole phone has been quick.

@Phonzoxd - I just tested to see how fast it was to open the camera and start taking a video and from having the app completely shut down. It took about 0.5-1s to open the app and show the live viewfinder. It then took literally 0s to start filming a video. It sounds like people who are having issues with their 6 have software or appleID/account problems.

Is there anything else in particular that you find slow that I can try on mine?
Emails, i have 7 different emails, 30K emails showing , on ios 9 it would never stall in opening browsing or scrolling etc....but ios 10 all around buggy, stalling all the time, and takes 15 seconds to load and present the emails for scrolling,

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
The iPhone 6 is still a perfectly usable phone, but there is a significant difference between some of you having an iPhone 6, and someone wanting to upgrade to an iPhone 6. I would not spend the money and time to upgrade to an almost 3 year old phone, get at least the 6s or save up a bit and get the 7 this fall when it drops in price.

Last edited:

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
The iPhone 6 is still a perfectly usable phone, but the difference between some of you now having an iPhone 6, and someone wanting to upgrade to an iPhone 6, is significantly different. I would not spend the money and time to upgrade to an almost 3 year old phone, get at least the 6s or save up a bit and get the 7 this fall when it drops in price.

Oh I agree entirely. I wouldn't buy one now because there is only another 2 versions of iOS supported and it will show its legs at times and for sure in the future.

People who are having ridiculous slow down however is not purely down to the phone hardware. The 7 doesn't have a 20x better processor so if things are hanging for 15 seconds like beenblacklisted I would look into what might be causing that. I assume that is the stock mail app beenblacklisted and when you were on iOS9 there were 0 issues with the same number of email accounts and emails?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.