Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
You don’t need a 20x faster CPU. The CPU of the 7 is 2.5x faster. And that’s a huge difference. Night and day.

That’s like going from a Pentium 3 to Pentium 4.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
This seems really odd to me. I just got an insurance replacement and I had been playing around with iOS 11 which I didn't want to continue with so I ended up with no viable backup to use. I set it up as a new phone and added my old appleID to the phone the re-downloaded all the apps I had before that I actually use.

I had a 6 up until about 11 months ago when a friend was selling his cheaply and I wanted to see if the plus size model would be too big so I traded from a 6 to a 6+. The 6+ immediately felt faster but since I did a clean install 2 months ago the whole phone has been quick.

@Phonzoxd - I just tested to see how fast it was to open the camera and start taking a video and from having the app completely shut down. It took about 0.5-1s to open the app and show the live viewfinder. It then took literally 0s to start filming a video. It sounds like people who are having issues with their 6 have software or appleID/account problems.

Is there anything else in particular that you find slow that I can try on mine?
Its not that simple. Im saying it happens at times, maybe i had too many apps running in the background at the time, i dunno, but i didnt expect it to happen, and caught me off guard.

Its still a very usable phone, just not as smooth as when it was on ios9, and thats fine, i bought it on release day, so its 3 years old in a month. Never expected to keep it that long and it served me well. Battery life is still a champ. I use moderately and it last over a day, even though i charge it every day regardless.

So im either gonna go with iphone 8, or wait on a iphone SE2. Im sick of phablets now.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Oh I agree entirely. I wouldn't buy one now because there is only another 2 versions of iOS supported and it will show its legs at times and for sure in the future.

People who are having ridiculous slow down however is not purely down to the phone hardware. The 7 doesn't have a 20x better processor so if things are hanging for 15 seconds like beenblacklisted I would look into what might be causing that. I assume that is the stock mail app beenblacklisted and when you were on iOS9 there were 0 issues with the same number of email accounts and emails?
correct, i had to test a pair of airpods, and needed to download ios 10, Big huge mistake. and apple stop signing 9.3.5 so a dfu restore is not possible either. i am switching back to samsung. its been a few years using iphones, but this is unacceptable.

Hemens

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
Hi guys.

Just want to ask. I've been using Iphone 5 since 2014 and i'm planning to upgrade. Iphone 7 is not in my list as my budget is little tight. Is it still okay to buy Iphone 6 now? Will it receive updates for at least another two years? Or should i go for 6S?

Thanks for your opinion.

Minimum 6S is way to go else you gonna repend on your decision soon the new iOS is released, 3D Touch will have lot of use and you gonna miss on it if you go below 6S and as someone said, lot of tech update in 6S post 6

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
You don’t need a 20x faster CPU. The CPU of the 7 is 2.5x faster. And that’s a huge difference. Night and day.

That’s like going from a Pentium 3 to Pentium 4.

And like everyone knows, in almost every case a 2x faster CPU doesn't give you twice the performance. Thats also not going to make an app that hangs for 15s suddenly work with no issues unless it was a software related issue...

Its not that simple. Im saying it happens at times, maybe i had too many apps running in the background at the time, i dunno, but i didnt expect it to happen, and caught me off guard.

Hmm, the way iOS works means that you should never "run out" of memory. If an app needs memory it will freeze background apps that are using it in order to free up memory. iOS and its memory management is miles ahead of android and one of the main reasons that iPhones are faster than comparable android phones with seemingly superior specs. This is even more apparent when you pull an open app from the background via multi-tasking.

Its still a very usable phone, just not as smooth as when it was on ios9, and thats fine, i bought it on release day, so its 3 years old in a month. Never expected to keep it that long and it served me well. Battery life is still a champ. I use moderately and it last over a day, even though i charge it every day regardless.

So im either gonna go with iphone 8, or wait on a iphone SE2. Im sick of phablets now.

Yeah, I guess thats to be expected, I just personally have found that iOS10 isn't any slower for me than iOS9 was but thats because I have never run into any issues with the phone in a long time on iOS10. No slowdowns or issues like that.

I'm looking forward to the 8 because its basically a iPhone+ in a normal iPhone body which should be perfect. I think the size of the + is a bit much at times but whenever I actually want to consume large amounts of text or information the plus is miles better than the normal size and I don't think I could go back to the SE form factor.

Reactions: Beachguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.