Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I am just looking for feedback on what I should do for my next iPhone. I currently have an iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey with AT&T. I have quite a few cases for it, so a jump to a 6s would make sense in that aspect.

My biggest grip with the 6 has been the frustration with screen protectors honestly. The curved glass makes it hard to get them to apply properly. I like the idea of the extra RAM on the 6s/SE because I use a lot of applications on my phone that are resource hungry. The 5s was my favorite iPhone so the SE makes me excited thinking it is very similar to the 6s internally, but is the same design as the 5s.

I use my phone for social media (Facebook, snapchat, instagram), media (youtube mostly), and texting friends/checking email/web browsing. I like the bigger screen, but I have heard some people say the .7 inch loss hasn't really mattered overall. The only other consideration is the front camera is better than the SE's...

I plan to upgrade when the new iPhone is announced because the 6s pricing will drop (assuming the SE pricing will stay the same). I would consider the new iPhone if it is significantly better than the 6s, but right now I am thinking the 6s or SE would be a good upgrade for me at that time. Any thoughts?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
There seems to be no reason to rush. If you actually like the 6 size, then wait til the 7 comes out. Then you'll have the option to choose between the 7 and the SE.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
No rush here, just getting opinions and suggestions. I don't want the 7 unless it is vastly better than the 6s and the SE though.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I have a 6s and SE. The battery on the SE to me is incredible. The 2 gb's of RAM also make it run smooth and fast. I think it may be a good option for you unless screen size is a big issue to you.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No rush here, just getting opinions and suggestions. I don't want the 7 unless it is vastly better than the 6s and the SE though.

Wait until the ip7 comes out and then decide.

Both the 6s and SE are great phones so you really can't make a bad choice when you do have to decide.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Unless you're impatient, I would wait until the 7 is announced and make a decision from there.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
My wife LOVED her 5/5s. After using the 6/6s she considered switching back to the SE because of the size. But after playing with an SE for a few minutes, she realized how much she likes the screen on the 6.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Buy the cheaper SE until the next phone comes out then you can keep the SE as a backup or resell it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just went from a 6 to the SE and am so happy I did. I love the one handed operation and the fact that I again don't need a case (I used one on the 6 for the camera bump and slipperiness). And it's amazingly fast and has the best battery of any iPhone over ever had.

The loss of .7" of screen space doesn't change how I use it, but the ability to do everything one-handed does.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Here's my opinion on this... I have the 6s, 6s Plus and SE. They're all absolutely great phones. The SE is a better phone than iPhone 6 or 6 Plus on RAM alone.

When it comes to the 6s and 6s Plus I wouldn't call any of the phones "better." The iPhone SE battery life trumps any iPhone released to date. That's including the plus models. Obviously the 6s plus has the hd screen and screen size going for it.

The SE is just an all around great phone..

Reactions: nerdriot

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
Here's my opinion on this... I have the 6s, 6s Plus and SE. They're all absolutely great phones. The SE is a better phone than iPhone 6 or 6 Plus on RAM alone.

When it comes to the 6s and 6s Plus I wouldn't call any of the phones "better." The iPhone SE battery life trumps any iPhone released to date. That's including the plus models. Obviously the 6s plus has the hd screen and screen size going for it.

The SE is just an all around great phone..

I agree. Once I switched from the 6 to the SE, I regretted nothing. Being able to use a phone all day long without worrying about if/when I'm going to have to find a charger has been wonderful.

I don't play games on it much (I use my iPad Air 2 for that), but instead use it for daily tasks like social media, email, anything work-related (including Python development), etc..

All in all, the iPhone SE is just an amazing phone, and even better when you consider the price. As a matter of fact, I have no intentions of upgrading to the 7 series unless a 4" model is released as well.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I just went from the 6S to the SE and do not regret it one bit. It is a fantastic phone and the size is perfect. I have had a number of phones (Android and iOS) ranging many sizes (iPhone 6+ being the largest) and I have to say the SE is really the perfect size for me. It fits comfortably in my hand and I loved the design of the 5/5S so the SE fits in.

The SE really is a great device, you do miss out on a couple of features from the 6S (3D Touch, faster TouchID, etc) but none of those things were needs to me, a phone that fit in my hand was a need.

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I had a 6 for some time and as many have mentioned here, the SE is more modern and has more RAM. While for some the 6 with its limited 1gb of RAM is enough, others may find it tedious, and seeing as the next iOS is almost certain to require more memory to work smoothly, why not go for the more modern phone? If you're in the US, and near an Apple Store you can buy a phone and try it out for up to 14 days. You might consider doing that and see what you can live with. The iPhone SE is small though, so its benefits do have some cons.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
All in all, the iPhone SE is just an amazing phone, and even better when you consider the price. As a matter of fact, I have no intentions of upgrading to the 7 series unless a 4" model is released as well.
Yeah, the price is a big thing. I see a lot of posts comparing the SE to the 6 and/or 6s, but it's rarely mentioned that the SE comes in at $250 less than the 6s at the same capacity.

Reactions: nerdriot

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yeah, the price is a big thing. I see a lot of posts comparing the SE to the 6 and/or 6s, but it's rarely mentioned that the SE comes in at $250 less than the 6s at the same capacity.

There's no denying that it was great to have apple update the 5s to give us the SE.

A part of me though wishes that Apple would have charged less...$500 for the 64gb model is a bit much.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
I've had the SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, and 6s Plus.

For me the winner is the 6s Plus. More screen space just makes it better, and battery life trounces the others.

That being said, the SE is still a great phone, at a great price, with most of the current gen specs. The sacrifice is in the screen quality, where there's simply no comparison to the 6s and especially not to the 6s Plus. It also comes from the lack of 3D Touch and fairly lame front camera.

I normally am not a selfie fan, but that rare occasion when it's needed, the SE definitely showed its weakness on that front. I also found myself missing 3D Touch.

Personally, I recommend going big with the plus. But if you're set on a smaller model, I'd say the 6s, Unless you absolutely can't stand the rounded edges.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
Selfies are never needed. Never ever. ;)

Well when you have a nice time out with someone special, sometimes you want a pic to remember it. There are occasions when you use the front camera that aren't self indulgent nonsense. Get out more and you'll experience some of them. ;)

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Well when you have a nice time out with someone special, sometimes you want a pic to remember it. There are occasions when you use the front camera that aren't self indulgent nonsense. Get out more and you'll experience some of them. ;)

Selfies are inherently crappy pictures, and a better selfie camera doesn't make them selfies any better. You're probably too young to remember this, but you can always take a good picture by asking anyone else who is in the vicinity to take it with your much-better rear-facing camera.....your family, other friends you are with, your waiter, your Uber driver.....anyone. And you'll actually end up with a good picture of the two of you instead of an artificially smashed-together pose filled with duck lips.....:D

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
Selfies are inherently crappy pictures, and a better selfie camera doesn't make them selfies any better. You're probably too young to remember this, but you can always take a good picture by asking anyone else who is in the vicinity to take it with your much-better rear-facing camera.....your family, other friends you are with, your waiter, your Uber driver.....anyone. And you'll actually end up with a good picture of the two of you instead of an artificially smashed-together pose filled with duck lips.....:D

Definitely the best recourse - insult and talk down to someone with a differing opinion than you have. It makes your point so much better.

As far as handing your near thousand dollar phone to "anyone nearby", go for it - I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Definitely the best recourse - insult and talk down to someone with a differing opinion than you have. It makes your point so much better.

As far as handing your near thousand dollar phone to "anyone nearby", go for it - I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

Well, that escalated quickly.....and here I thought we were gently ribbing each other. Oh well....

But I can assure you that your family, your friends, your waiter, and your Uber driver are not running off with your cell phone, regardless of the cost. And if these examples are not around, I'm quite confident in your ability to pick someone as trustworthy as those mentioned.

But if for some reason you are still too paranoid, perhaps from smoking some bad herb or crystal meth, to give your cell phone to a stranger to take your photo, here's a pro tip at no charge: just pick someone that you know you can outrun. An old lady, for example. Or a really really fat guy. I personally look for someone in a wheelchair.....not only can they not get away with your precious phone, but you can usually get a nice tracking shot out of them if you ask nicely.

So, problem solved....instead of a BS selfie you can get a decent picture to savior that magical moment with no fear of losing your phone. No, no.....no need to thank me. Ridding the world of even one more idiotic selfie is reward enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.